Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexis Jacobi

Re: Christianity

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Harbal wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:34 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:15 pm
Harbal wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:15 pmWhy on earth do you keep doing this? Neither of us is French, you pretentious twerp.
I am trying -- and I think maybe, just maybe, I am succeeding -- to turn unfettered pretension into a high art.
Plain English would be better, but then your content might look a bit dodgy without the pretention. :(
To hell with plain English you ignorant peasant. Now I'm really getting upset!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

HELL OWE

English is far from plain.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:52 pm Is anyone going to talk about Christ at any point?
Let's save him for Christmas.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:56 pm
seeds wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:46 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:02 pm It strikes me as odd that the creator of this vast universe is at all interested in one of the many creatures that sprung up on one relatively tiny rock within this seemingly infinite cosmic ocean.
First of all, to me, the fact that you find it odd that the Creator of the universe would be interested in a human is the metaphorical equivalent of finding it odd that a fully grown human woman would be interested in the embryo forming in her womb.

And secondly, try not to be overwhelmed by the size of the universe, because, in a certain sense, your own mind is just as "infinite" as you imagine the universe to be (neither of which are actually infinite).
_______
Well, unless the universe is ours exclusively for the taking, then I would hope "God" hasn't set us up with competitors in other parts of it that might visit and either get in our way or push us out of the way. Otherwise, the probability that it won't be an even match is probably high and we humans don't have too great a history with respect to how we handle unfamiliar people or beings. If there's no other life in the universe, then sure, maybe we're made in God's image. If not, then maybe we're little more than pets in a divine goldfish bowl along with everything else.
Several of the members of this forum have gotten on my case for over-using my illustrations.

However, I keep getting into these same sorts of debates where I need to use them to help clarify the concepts I am proposing. So, here's the one I like to use to define what it means to be created in the image of God...

Here are a few of the captions:
"...God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.”
Realize that God's "true image" is in a form that allowed him to create the universe.
"...I shall change your vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto my glorious body, according to the working whereby I am able even to subdue all things unto myself..."
"...it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is..."
All of which implies that...
We and God are of the same "species" of being.
The true image of God is not that of our bodies, it is of our spirits [our eternal souls].
Now of course I don't expect you to simply accept what the illustration implies, however, it does provide us with what I believe is a proper (more elevated) interpretation of Christian metaphysics.

And lastly, just to quickly address the issue you raised about us being pitted against other "competitors" throughout the universe. If the true purpose of the universe is to function as a cosmic "womb" in which God is able to conceive her very own offspring (again, as is suggested in Christian metaphysics),...

...then as long as they have at least reached the human level of consciousness, then they too (their eternal "souls") would also be created in the image of God, regardless of the configuration of their outer (material) facades...

And like us, they also must experience a second and final birth (via death) in order to awaken into the higher (outer) context of reality where their true and eternal form (the same form as the Creator of this universe) will finally be revealed to them.

We're inside of a womb-like phenomenon, Gary, suspended in the cosmic "amnios" of our ultimate parent's spirit body. And just like it was when we were suspended in the amniotic water of our human mother's womb, we cannot see or comprehend what lies on the other side of God's "abdomen."
_______
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

OMG .now we got star trek...wot moronic hell is this..
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:10 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:52 pm Is anyone going to talk about Christ at any point?
I thought he was supposed to save us...ya know from his dad who apparently is a bit of a jew.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:19 pm
I thought he was supposed to save us.
Yes, he died that we might eat freely of chocolate eggs at Easter. I bet he's wondering if it was worth it. :?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:39 pm

Yes, he died that we might eat freely of chocolate eggs at Easter. I bet he's wondering if it was worth it. :?
I do too but for slightly other reasons.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Harbal wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:39 pm

Classic. Harbal at his best! :lol:
seeds

Post by seeds »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:19 pm OMG .now we got star trek...wot moronic hell is this..
Are you calling me a moron because I use some playful imagery to get my point across to Gary?

That's okay, atto, just let your beautiful "Christian spirit" shine through for all to see. It's quite moving, especially how you constantly call people vile expletives that allude to a particular body part on a female.

Oh, and by the way, Mr. do as I say, not as I do, as per you chastising Belinda in this particular exchange,...
Belinda wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:24 am The following is a reply to the original claim about Xianity.
Xianity will be taking another body blow now that the environmental crisis is become urgent, and people are scrambling around every man for himself.
attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:23 am Is it so hard to type Christianity?
...is it so hard for you to type "what" instead of "wot"?

I'd call you a hypocrite, but I think It's more of a lack of self-awareness.
_______
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

seeds wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:30 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:19 pm OMG .now we got star trek...wot moronic hell is this..
Are you calling me a moron because I use some playful imagery to get my point across to Gary?
Nobody can get anything across to Gary. He prefers the 'professionals' because they give him pills that dumb his mind down, thus we mere amateurs have no chance.

seeds wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:30 pm That's okay, atto, just let your beautiful "Christian spirit" shine through for all to see. It's quite moving, especially how you constantly call people vile expletives that allude to a particular body part on a female.
Im pretty certain the times I've called people cunts Christ would have done the same.

seeds wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:30 pm Oh, and by the way, Mr. do as I say, not as I do, as per you chastising Belinda in this particular exchange,...
Belinda wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:24 am The following is a reply to the original claim about Xianity.
Xianity will be taking another body blow now that the environmental crisis is become urgent, and people are scrambling around every man for himself.
attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:23 am Is it so hard to type Christianity?
...is it so hard for you to type "what" instead of "wot"?

I'd call you a hypocrite, but I think It's more of a lack of self-awareness.
_______
PLEASE explain wot Xianity is? I mean how the fuck does one pronounce that GENIUS?

wot = what - pretty simple

Nobody shows any respect for Christ around here...it's CHRIST_IANITY.
seeds

Post by seeds »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:40 pm
Nobody can get anything across to Gary. He prefers the 'professionals' because they give him pills that dumb his mind down, thus we mere amateurs have no chance.
I truly would be a moron if I was to swallow that load of deflecting horse crap. You clearly implied that my using images from Star Trek has drawn us into some kind of "moronic hell."

N̶i̶c̶e̶ try.
seeds wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:30 pm That's okay, atto, just let your beautiful "Christian spirit" shine through for all to see. It's quite moving, especially how you constantly call people vile expletives that allude to a particular body part on a female.
attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:40 pm Im pretty certain the times I've called people cunts Christ would have done the same.
Now that is an example of what the word "moronic" actually means.
_______
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

seeds wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:04 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:40 pm
I truly would be a moron if I was to swallow that load of deflecting horse crap. You clearly implied that my using images from Star Trek has drawn us into some kind of "moronic hell."

N̶i̶c̶e̶ try.
attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:40 pm Im pretty certain the times I've called people cunts Christ would have done the same.
Now that is an example of what the word "moronic" actually means.
_______
Boo Hoo.

Are u going to explain how to pronounce Xianity?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Why say Xmas instead of Christmas. Why would that and Xianity be so Greek to us since so much of our vocabulary, especially in philosophy and religion, is of Greek origin?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dubious wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:33 pm Why say Xmas instead of Christmas. Why would that and Xianity be so Greek to us since so much of our vocabulary, especially in philosophy and religion, is of Greek origin?
Well, I remember when I was a little tacker my Mum complaining about people writing Xmas on Christmas cards, it IS disrespectful. If yer atheist and can't be bothered to show some respect, then just write Season Greetings or woteva!