Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexis Jacobi

Re: Christianity

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:11 pm Cute song. Not sure what make of it but I take it you must enjoy it.
Gaaaa! I hate that hedgehog. I find his constant showing up invasive, meddlesome and just a wee bit too 'preachy' for my taste. So I must confess that despite the ahimsa I am intellectually attracted to, the last time he came sidling in I made hedgehog soup out of him. Really, it was quite spectacular Gary. When we ate it we felt we were on the verge of sensory revelations like in Babette's Feast.

In case it is not completely clear, and as we approach page 1,000, it is no longer a mere Jacobi-Cicero but a Jacobi-Alan Watts-Cardinal Newman-Cicero who I am now channeling. So many wise men I've been! Where they end and where I begin I can't say.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:27 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:11 pm Cute song. Not sure what make of it but I take it you must enjoy it.
Gaaaa! I hate that hedgehog. I find his constant showing up invasive, meddlesome and just a wee bit too 'preachy' for my taste. So I must confess that despite the ahimsa I am intellectually attracted to, the last time he came sidling in I made hedgehog soup out of him. Really, it was quite spectacular Gary. When we ate it we felt we were on the verge of sensory revelations like in Babette's Feast.

In case it is not completely clear, and as we approach page 1,000, it is no longer a mere Jacobi-Cicero but a Jacobi-Alan Watts-Cardinal Newman-Cicero who I am now channeling. So many wise men I've been! Where they end and where I begin I can't say.
Neither can I. You'll have to discover that and give us a report on it. Maybe I'll choose to read it.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:27 pm
In case it is not completely clear, and as we approach page 1,000, it is no longer a mere Jacobi-Cicero but a Jacobi-Alan Watts-Cardinal Newman-Cicero who I am now channeling.
How about channeling someone who is capable of minding his own business, and is able to resist telling all and sundry where they are going wrong? :roll:
seeds

Post by seeds »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:02 pm It strikes me as odd that the creator of this vast universe is at all interested in one of the many creatures that sprung up on one relatively tiny rock within this seemingly infinite cosmic ocean.
First of all, to me, the fact that you find it odd that the Creator of the universe would be interested in a human is the metaphorical equivalent of finding it odd that a fully grown human woman would be interested in the embryo forming in her womb.

And secondly, try not to be overwhelmed by the size of the universe, because, in a certain sense, your own mind is just as "infinite" as you imagine the universe to be (neither of which are actually infinite).
_______
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

seeds wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:46 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:02 pm It strikes me as odd that the creator of this vast universe is at all interested in one of the many creatures that sprung up on one relatively tiny rock within this seemingly infinite cosmic ocean.
First of all, to me, the fact that you find it odd that the Creator of the universe would be interested in a human is the metaphorical equivalent of finding it odd that a fully grown human woman would be interested in the embryo forming in her womb.

And secondly, try not to be overwhelmed by the size of the universe, because, in a certain sense, your own mind is just as "infinite" as you imagine the universe to be (neither of which are actually infinite).
_______
Well, unless the universe is ours exclusively for the taking, then I would hope "God" hasn't set us up with competitors in other parts of it that might visit and either get in our way or push us out of the way. Otherwise, the probability that it won't be an even match is probably high and we humans don't have too great a history with respect to how we handle unfamiliar people or beings. If there's no other life in the universe, then sure, maybe we're made in God's image. If not, then maybe we're little more than pets in a divine goldfish bowl along with everything else.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Harbal wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:45 pmHow about channeling someone who is capable of minding his own business, and is able to resist telling all and sundry where they are going wrong?
You, who seek conflict and disputation, counsel me to act civilly & politely?

Mais non! Je refuse de passer cette porte!

Je refuse d'écouter tes jérémiades.

Alors, mesdames et messieurs, toujours plus loin!
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:56 pm If not, then maybe we're little more than pets in a divine goldfish bowl along with everything else.
Made me think of this scene.

And this one.

I am encoding profound messages here that, alas, you won't get.

Do you remember the Robert Frost poem Directive?
I have kept hidden in the instep arch
Of an old cedar at the waterside
A broken drinking goblet like the Grail
Under a spell so the wrong ones can't find it,
So can't get saved, as Saint Mark says they mustn't.
I.break.this.spell!
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:59 pm
You, who seek conflict and disputation, counsel me to act civilly & politely?
I don't council that. If I did, I would feel obliged to conform to it myself. :shock:
Mais non! Je refuse de passer cette porte!

Je refuse d'écouter tes jérémiades.

Alors, mesdames et messieurs, toujours plus loin!
Why on earth do you keep doing this? Neither of us is French, you pretentious twerp. :roll:
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:08 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:56 pm If not, then maybe we're little more than pets in a divine goldfish bowl along with everything else.
Made me think of this scene.

And this one.

I am encoding profound messages here that, alas, you won't get.

Do you remember the Robert Frost poem Directive?
I have kept hidden in the instep arch
Of an old cedar at the waterside
A broken drinking goblet like the Grail
Under a spell so the wrong ones can't find it,
So can't get saved, as Saint Mark says they mustn't.
I.break.this.spell!
I'm afraid I don't. At first glance, it looks like maybe he's hidden something about himself somewhere, perhaps in an old cedar somewhere or perhaps in his writing that he doesn't want certain people to find. An interesting comment. It makes one wonder what it was and why he didn't want some to find it. Perhaps it has something to do with his own salvation or perhaps he's trying to keep certain others from some sort of undeserved reward? Or perhaps it's just a hint for the few who want to follow his ways or something?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:29 pm You really are short sighted to the extreme. Christ is alive right now... :roll:

Again, good luck in that search for truth..equipped with wot u got.
OK. Sorry I couldn't be of more interest. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Harbal wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:15 pmWhy on earth do you keep doing this? Neither of us is French, you pretentious twerp.
I am trying -- and I think maybe, just maybe, I am succeeding -- to turn unfettered pretension into a high art.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:05 pm I'm afraid I don't. At first glance, it looks like maybe he's hidden something about himself somewhere, perhaps in an old cedar somewhere or perhaps in his writing that he doesn't want certain people to find. An interesting comment. It makes one wonder what it was and why he didn't want some to find it. Perhaps it has something to do with his own salvation or perhaps he's trying to keep certain others from some sort of undeserved reward? Or perhaps it's just a hint for the few who want to follow his ways or something?
See, this is what I am talking about. It amazes me that you-plural cannot get it. If you had background in the elements of our traditions you'd have some grasp, even a vague one, of the transcendental. But you don't! Any reference that is not as blunt, tangible and greasy as a fast-food hamburger flies over your head. Allusion, metaphor, references through symbols to things beyond mere physicality are lost on you.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:20 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:05 pm I'm afraid I don't. At first glance, it looks like maybe he's hidden something about himself somewhere, perhaps in an old cedar somewhere or perhaps in his writing that he doesn't want certain people to find. An interesting comment. It makes one wonder what it was and why he didn't want some to find it. Perhaps it has something to do with his own salvation or perhaps he's trying to keep certain others from some sort of undeserved reward? Or perhaps it's just a hint for the few who want to follow his ways or something?
See, this is what I am talking about. It amazes me that you-plural cannot get it. If you had background in the elements of our traditions you'd have some grasp, even a vague one, of the transcendental. But you don't! Any reference that is not as blunt, tangible and greasy as a fast-food hamburger flies over your head. Allusion, metaphor, references through symbols to things beyond mere physicality are lost on you.
Sorry to disappoint.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:15 pm
Harbal wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:15 pmWhy on earth do you keep doing this? Neither of us is French, you pretentious twerp.
I am trying -- and I think maybe, just maybe, I am succeeding -- to turn unfettered pretension into a high art.
Plain English would be better, but then your content might look a bit dodgy without the pretention. :(
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Is anyone going to talk about Christ at any point?