Is Netanyahoo! just an extremist or quite the fascist?

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Kayla

Re: Is Netanyahoo! just an extremist or quite the fascist?

Post by Kayla »

FrankGSterleJr wrote:open-minded media consumers will nonetheless notice the glaring hypocrisy in the bold statements by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
what is the difference between someone who is open minded and someone who agrees with you, if any

is it possible to be open minded and disagree with you on this or any other issue
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Kayla wrote:
FrankGSterleJr wrote:open-minded media consumers will nonetheless notice the glaring hypocrisy in the bold statements by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
what is the difference between someone who is open minded and someone who agrees with you, if any

is it possible to be open minded and disagree with you on this or any other issue
You either did not read, or did not understand the rest of Frank's statement.
Benjamin Netanyahu is hypocritical is a no brainer.
I think you will agree.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

chaz wyman wrote:You either did not read, or did not understand the rest of Frank's statement.
I think you will agree.
yes netanyahoo is a hypocrite - i think you and frank mean more than is ordinary for a politician - i was not disputing that point

i was rather pointing out something that bothers me and makes for bad philosophy

people like to think that they are open minded

but when i ask them - as i did in this case - what the difference is between being open minded and agreeing with them i get no coherent answer

why do these open minded people think that any open minded person will arrive at the same conclusion about the world?

someone could be open minded and think netanyahoo is no more hypocritical than is the norm for politicians for a variety of reasons - they could have different - maybe even mistaken - priorities perspectives starting assumptions and so forth - rather than being close minded

in short saying that someone is close minded does not typically say anything at all beyond 'grrr me no like'
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Kayla wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:You either did not read, or did not understand the rest of Frank's statement.
I think you will agree.
yes netanyahoo is a hypocrite - i think you and frank mean more than is ordinary for a politician - i was not disputing that point

i was rather pointing out something that bothers me and makes for bad philosophy

people like to think that they are open minded

but when i ask them - as i did in this case - what the difference is between being open minded and agreeing with them i get no coherent answer

why do these open minded people think that any open minded person will arrive at the same conclusion about the world?

someone could be open minded and think netanyahoo is no more hypocritical than is the norm for politicians for a variety of reasons - they could have different - maybe even mistaken - priorities perspectives starting assumptions and so forth - rather than being close minded

in short saying that someone is close minded does not typically say anything at all beyond 'grrr me no like'
I take your point. I think it is possible to make a judgement about people being open and closed minded on some issues, but that has no bearing on whether or not they are right about those issues.

I'm close minded about the existence of fairies and am I think right about that, whilst people who believe in fairies can be said to be open minded about them. My 'closed mind' on the issue does not mean that given the right evidence I could still be convinced of their existence. Fairy believers can tell me all they like that I am close-minded, it will not change my opinion.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

chaz wyman wrote:I'm close minded about the existence of fairies and am I think right about that, whilst people who believe in fairies can be said to be open minded about them. My 'closed mind' on the issue does not mean that given the right evidence I could still be convinced of their existence. Fairy believers can tell me all they like that I am close-minded, it will not change my opinion.
but labeling you as closed minded does not say anything

chaz does not believe in fairies because he is close minded

does not really say much does it
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Kayla wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:I'm close minded about the existence of fairies and am I think right about that, whilst people who believe in fairies can be said to be open minded about them. My 'closed mind' on the issue does not mean that given the right evidence I could still be convinced of their existence. Fairy believers can tell me all they like that I am close-minded, it will not change my opinion.
but labeling you as closed minded does not say anything

chaz does not believe in fairies because he is close minded

does not really say much does it
I can open my mind whenever I get new evidence, you do not seem to be able to.
Being so young and close minded is a sad indictment of your education.

So are you open minded about the existence of fictitious things?