Unmarried Philosophers

Anything to do with gender and the status of women and men.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

reasonvemotion

Unmarried Philosophers

Post by reasonvemotion »

A list of Philosophers who remained unmarried.

•Immanuel Kant
•Friedrich Nietzsche
•René Descartes
•David Hume
•John Locke
•Thomas Aquinas
•Gottfried Leibniz
•Baruch Spinoza
•Jean-Paul Sartre
•Arthur Schopenhauer

Granted, there were some religious men who were not allowed to be married, perhaps there is a correlation between intelligence and social ineptitude, ie lack of friends, depression. Even so, these would not be a barrier to finding someone or did they just not have time for romance?
Mike Strand

Re: Unmarried Philosophers

Post by Mike Strand »

Staying single -- could it be a sign of "wisdom", acquired from deep philosophical thought?
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Ha.....just wondering where that leaves you :lol:
Resha Caner

Post by Resha Caner »

There can be many reasons for remaining single. Did any of these men comment on why they chose the path they did?
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

reasonvemotion wrote:A list of Philosophers who remained unmarried.

•Immanuel Kant
•Friedrich Nietzsche
•René Descartes
•David Hume
•John Locke
•Thomas Aquinas
•Gottfried Leibniz
•Baruch Spinoza
•Jean-Paul Sartre
•Arthur Schopenhauer

Granted, there were some religious men who were not allowed to be married, perhaps there is a correlation between intelligence and social ineptitude, ie lack of friends, depression. Even so, these would not be a barrier to finding someone or did they just not have time for romance?
If you want to assert a link between intelligence and social ineptitude then you will have to remove David Hume from your list. He was the toast of France and well known for his sociability until he died of over indulgence.

As for Nietzsche - you don't get to die of syphilis by being a lilting flower.

Schopenhauer loved sex, as one of the great compensations such as music to quotidian suffering.

There might be a link between intelligence and low sexual libido. Those with low libido have more time to concentrate on thinking and learning in those vital 13 -21 years in which most men tend to think about sex all the time.

...Ps - what has not being married got to do with social ineptitude??
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

I think you are the most qualified to answer that question.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Nietszche
A paper just published in Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica reconsiders the insanity and death of philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, who is commonly thought to have died of neurosyphilis.
In contrast, the authors of the new study suggest that Nietzsche died of frontotemporal dementia – a type of dementia that specifically affects the frontal and temporal lobes.

Nietszche

Nietzsche regarded heterosexual romantic relationships as generally being an irritating distraction from his goal because of the inherent power struggles.

If you want to assert a link between intelligence and social ineptitude then you will have to remove David Hume from your list. He was the toast of France and well known for his sociability until he died of over indulgence.

David Hume

Hume was most concerned with the nature of knowledge, morality, causality — not with fashioning a philosophy for everyday life. The rotund and flustered Hume, was long resigned to a bachelor’s life, “I have rusted amid books and study.”

Hyppolyte de Saujon, wife of the Comte de Boufflers, and celebrated mistress of the Prince de Conti, became intimate friends with Hume. Within a matter of weeks, Hume confessed his attachment and his jealousy of Conti. When her husband died she convinced the Prince to marry her. A distressed Hume was transformed into her platonic adviser and confidant. He corresponded with her until his death.

Schopenhauer loved sex, as one of the great compensations such as music to quotidian suffering.
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The European lady is a creature which ought not to exist at all. What there ought to be is housewives and and girls who hope to become housewives and who are therefore educated, not in arrogant haughtiness, but in domesticity and submissiveness."

Schopenhauer opinion of women is their “rightful and natural position, of subordination.
If you want to assert a link between intelligence and social ineptitude then you will have to remove David Hume from your list
I think Schopenhauer would be my choice to "remove"
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

reasonvemotion wrote:Nietszche
A paper just published in Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica reconsiders the insanity and death of philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, who is commonly thought to have died of neurosyphilis.
In contrast, the authors of the new study suggest that Nietzsche died of frontotemporal dementia – a type of dementia that specifically affects the frontal and temporal lobes.

Interesting speculation, which does not exclude syphilis in any event.

Nietszche

Nietzsche regarded heterosexual romantic relationships as generally being an irritating distraction from his goal because of the inherent power struggles.

David Hume

Hume was most concerned with the nature of knowledge, morality, causality — not with fashioning a philosophy for everyday life. The rotund and flustered Hume, was long resigned to a bachelor’s life, “I have rusted amid books and study.”

He may well have said that. But any epicurean will always regret not spending more time in the pursuit of pleasure. Anyone who has studied Hume as I have knows this is a travesty. More than any other factor Hume pressed home the need to understand the Passions as laying the basis of all Human endeavour.

Fear not, my friends, that the barbarous dissonance of Bacchus, and of his revellers, should break in upon this entertainment, and confound us with their turbulent and clamorous pleasures. The sprightly Muses wait around, and, with their charming symphony, sufficient to soften the wolves and tigers of the savage dessert, inspire a soft joy into every bosom. Peace, harmony, and concord, reign in this retreat; nor is the silence ever broken but by the music of our songs, or the cheerful accent so four friendly voices... Having exerted in the chase every passion of the mind, and every member of the body, he then finds the charms of repose, and with joy compares his pleasures to those of his engaging labours.

David Hume

The French called him Le Bon David, as he was well known for his sociability and could out-drink and out-eat the lot of them.
In his final years with "all ambition done", his table was always laden and his friends frequent.
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The European lady is a creature which ought not to exist at all. What there ought to be is housewives and and girls who hope to become housewives and who are therefore educated, not in arrogant haughtiness, but in domesticity and submissiveness."

Exactly my point! He loved sex as a compensation of worldly suffering.
But the problem with all pleasures is that you always want more - hence the "should not exist" bit.

Schopenhauer opinion of women is their “rightful and natural position, of subordination.

Indeed, like 90% of males of his generation. Are you trying to make a point?

If you want to assert a link between intelligence and social ineptitude then you will have to remove David Hume from your list
I think Schopenhauer would be my choice to "remove"

Just because he did not think much of women does not mean he was socially inept - far from it. In fact one could go as far to say that his attitude to women, for his time, was the appropriate reaction in contrast to Hume and his obsession with one woman in particular was closer to ineptitude.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

reasonvemotion wrote:

I think you are the most qualified to answer that question.
What an odd thing to say.
How would you know?

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. William G. McAdoo

I'll leave you to think about that.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

When this computer closes, I cease to think about anything you contribute.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

reasonvemotion wrote:

When this computer closes, I cease to think about anything you contribute.
Good. remain in ignorance - that suits you.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

Some of the most socially inept people I have met are inevitably married.
And some of the most interesting socialites I have had to pleasure to discourse (and drink) with have had no interest in this outdated and moribund institution.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

And some of the most interesting socialites I have had to pleasure to discourse (and drink) with

Ha... I just had a mental picture! WAW
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

reasonvemotion wrote:
And some of the most interesting socialites I have had to pleasure to discourse (and drink) with

Ha... I just had a mental picture! WAW

Something wrong with drinking?
Alchemyst

Post by Alchemyst »

You missed out Soren Kierkegaard - possibly the most interesting case of the nearly-married philosopher.