Suggestion Box

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

artisticsolution

Suggestion Box

Post by artisticsolution »

I had a thought that could be fun... I hope Rick is reading this...wouldn't it be fun if the magazine hosted a sort of contest where The philosophy Now magazine would have an excerpt of one of the more intriguing discussions in the forum? The winner each month from the forum could have part (or whole) of his post featured in the magazine. This might increase both the readership of the magazine and membership to the forum because people might like to be in on the discussions more if they felt included.

Plus, I think it would be fun to see forum member's quotes in the magazine...I could say.."Hey! I read that first in the forum!" And in the forum I could congratulate a fellow member and possibly razz him a little! It would just add a little more oomph and interest, I think.

Doesn't that sound delicious or are we just chopped liver? :P
chaz wyman

Re: Suggestion Box

Post by chaz wyman »

Here's a suggestion if you have not already done so Subscribe to the FREE Philosophy Now podcast of the radio shows.
The discussions are mostly very good.

One point: what is the purpose of the musical interludes?
John

Post by John »

artisticsolution wrote:I had a thought that could be fun... I hope Rick is reading this...wouldn't it be fun if the magazine hosted a sort of contest where The philosophy Now magazine would have an excerpt of one of the more intriguing discussions in the forum? The winner each month from the forum could have part (or whole) of his post featured in the magazine. This might increase both the readership of the magazine and membership to the forum because people might like to be in on the discussions more if they felt included.

Plus, I think it would be fun to see forum member's quotes in the magazine...I could say.."Hey! I read that first in the forum!" And in the forum I could congratulate a fellow member and possibly razz him a little! It would just add a little more oomph and interest, I think.

Doesn't that sound delicious or are we just chopped liver? :P
I suggested something similar a while back (great minds think alike, or is it fools seldom differ? :lol: ) in the thread Will Facebook Destroy the Philosophy Now forums? and rick seemed to think it was an idea worth trying, though I've not seen anything in the magazine.
tbieter

Post by tbieter »

But the quality of the discussion on this forum is decreasing. Richard Baron no longer participates. No one even discusses any of the articles that are posted on the forum. I suspect that Rick has even thought about deleting the forum.
artisticsolution

tbieter wrote:But the quality of the discussion on this forum is decreasing. Richard Baron no longer participates. No one even discusses any of the articles that are posted on the forum. I suspect that Rick has even thought about deleting the forum.
Now wait a minute...we discuss the articles...perhaps it's not the most popular thread...but it only got added relatively recently...and I might add...not even the "real" philosopher's post in there....ever. In fact...I only see us amateurs giving it any action at all.

And another thing ... :D Rick mentioned a long time ago that when he designed the magazine it was to bring philosophy to the masses....well, we are the masses. And I for one would never have even read a philosophy book if it wasn't for Rick! Now I will grant you that perhaps the members of the forum are not up to the standards of his other magazine readers, but then the magazine is supposed to be able to be read by all...it is not just a magazine for academics. I think if it were it would go under like some philosophy departments in universities.

But more importantly...how about a little help for the novice instead of thinking we are the riff raff of the magazine...a pimple on it's otherwise pristine pages! Why I never! :P But seriously....If we are too low rent for "serious philosophers" could have a section of their own...where they could go to graze on each other's minds...where none of us could respond to them directly but we could read a real debate....sort of like the pod casts. or why not type the podcasts and post them on the forum? That way no words or meaning would be lost by poor sound quality.

Then, the "real philosopher's" could have their discussion...alone...and we could peak in but not post there...but if we wanted to say something about their conversation we could post in another section where they didn't have to shield their eyes from the "regular forum trash." :lol:

Oh, and if what you say is true...about Rick deleting the forum....then he should be quick about it but not expect me to continue with my subscription....hummmph! :wink:
Last edited by artisticsolution on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
artisticsolution

John wrote: I suggested something similar a while back (great minds think alike, or is it fools seldom differ? :lol: ) in the thread Will Facebook Destroy the Philosophy Now forums? and rick seemed to think it was an idea worth trying, though I've not seen anything in the magazine.
Oh boy...I am starting to think like John....maybe there is hope for me yet! :D
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

tbieter wrote:But the quality of the discussion on this forum is decreasing. Richard Baron no longer participates. No one even discusses any of the articles that are posted on the forum. I suspect that Rick has even thought about deleting the forum.
I don't suppose he'd notice - but that would be the end of my subscription to the Mag.
John

Post by John »

artisticsolution wrote:
John wrote: I suggested something similar a while back (great minds think alike, or is it fools seldom differ? :lol: ) in the thread Will Facebook Destroy the Philosophy Now forums? and rick seemed to think it was an idea worth trying, though I've not seen anything in the magazine.
Oh boy...I am starting to think like John....maybe there is hope for me yet! :D
Be careful of what you wish for :lol:
reasonemotion

Post by reasonemotion »

Fools and Idiots and now intellectual snobbery! I hear more wisdom from the "guests" at the soup kitchen I volunteer with.

It is a good idea. Segregate the true wafflers from the ordinary people who are at least earnest in their efforts to discover. The wafflers suffer from inflated egos plus.

Put aside your books. Wisdom and answers come from your own life experiences.

I wish you well.
artisticsolution

reasonemotion wrote:Fools and Idiots and now intellectual snobbery! I hear more wisdom from the "guests" at the soup kitchen I volunteer with.

It is a good idea. Segregate the true wafflers from the ordinary people who are at least earnest in their efforts to discover. The wafflers suffer from inflated egos plus.

Put aside your books. Wisdom and answers come from your own life experiences.

I wish you well.
I fail to see why you are so offended by intellectual segregation. I see nothing wrong with people of similar intelligence wanting to have a discussion amongst themselves. I would be similar to how it is in school...meaning how they segregate grades. 5th grade students are not allowed in 1st grade classrooms and visa versa unless they can keep up.

So I don't see anything wrong with academic philosopher's having a place to meet without having to put up with childish rantings.

I believe I am being kind by offering them a solution. I take it you don't?
reasonemotion

Post by reasonemotion »

"Segregation is, was and has always been wrong."

Remember Segreation.

In your reply

"offering them a solution" sounds ominious to me!
artisticsolution

Here is the definition of segregate:
to separate or set apart from others or from the main body or group; isolate: to segregate exceptional children; to segregate hardened criminals.
to require, often with force, the separation of (a specific racial, religious, or other group) from the general body of society.

As found here:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/segregate

Now I would agree that 2. should not be done....but what about 1? Should we we allow insane criminals who murder viciously to be included in the general prison population which houses drug addicts and other such 'crimes'? What if you were arrested for theft...would you feel it was justice to have to share a cell with an insane murderer/rapist? Don't you at least think that criminals should be segregated?

Also, what about children....do you think that school should just house all students regardless of special abilities or limitations? Do you believe that there should be no such difference between elementary school and high school?
Last edited by artisticsolution on Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
artisticsolution

reasonemotion wrote:

In your reply

"offering them a solution" sounds ominious to me!
Ominous? How? I don't understand.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

I reckon it is a good idea. The only reason we haven't done it so far is due to a space-time problem: lack of time and lack of magazine space. But I'll definitely do it when I get a chance. There have been some excellent discussion threads here in the past, and it would be good to publish one of them occasionally.

I'd welcome suggestions (with links) nas to which specific threads or parts of threads were worth publishing, by the way.

Tom, fear not, we definitely won't be deleting this forum - and you could always increase its intellectual level by simply posting more often. :D

There is a whole dedicated section here now for discussion articles from the magazine. Bora has made it interconnect with the articles themselves and from the technical angle I'm very happy with it now.

viewforum.php?f=23
artisticsolution

Well, here is my 2 cents...I think there are/were so many good discussions that it would be difficult to narrow them down...but one way to narrow it down is by the theme of the magazine issue. So if the magazine was going to be about politics you could choose a discussion from that thread and so on.

Or you could pick a member who you usually like to read and then ask them what they think their 'best moment' was...or which conversation they liked best...or something like that....

One thing I do think might be necessary...is for the magazine to put a disclaimer saying something to the effect of "The views of the forum do not necessarily reflect the views of the philosophy now magazine"...lol.... As some of our more lively conversations might scare off your more delicate readers. :oops: