Time

So what's really going on?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

reasonemotion

Time

Post by reasonemotion »

Time is an especially hot topic right now in physics. The search for a unified theory is forcing physicists to reexamine very basic assumptions, and few things are more basic than time.
Some physicists argue that there is no such thing as time. Others think time ought to be promoted rather than demoted. In between these two positions is the fascinating idea that time exists but is not fundamental. A static world somehow gives rise to the time we perceive.
Philosophers have debated such ideas since before the time of Socrates, but physicists are now making them concrete. According to one, time may arise from the way that the universe is partitioned; what we perceive as time reflects the relations among its pieces.

your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
tillingborn

Re: Time

Post by tillingborn »

I'm with those physicists and philosophers who think that time is simply the passage of events. I don't see how you can measure time without something happening, be it pendulums (pendula?) swinging or caesium atoms 'vibrating'. That being so, I don't think it is clear that a series of events is measuring anything other than a series of events.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Time does not exist and I can prove it.

OK, you're in a spaceship that has traveled for billions of light years. Before leaving, your kind had found the secrets to immortality. As far as you can tell, you've been traveling in one direction, but you're not sure, because the universe has expanded to such an extent that you can find no matter, no stars, planets, asteroids or anything else, there is just you and open space. Suddenly all electrical power dies, you're propulsion-less, all your historical data is gone because the computers, your only record keeping medium, if off line, you are extremely thankful that life support utilizes a new technology that requires no electricity, for just such a case. You drift, due to inertia, for what seems like another billion light years, of course you have no idea, because all your 'time' keeping devices need electricity to function. You have all but given up hope, when a space ship shows up, you're saved! The aliens board your ship, which is unfortunately unrepairable, as their systems are not even remotely similar, they are more or less organic, much like your life support systems. After what seemed like forever, you break the communication barrier. Fortunately they offer to take to you home, but first they want you to tell them, so they'll understand, from where and when you are from. Tell me now, so I can take you back home, from where and when are you from? Give me the 4 dimensional coordinates. Where and when are you?

Do we actually measure time itself, or do we merely construct and observe electro-mechanical/chemical devices that relatively move within a frame of reference? How can relative movement indicate time and not just a sequence of movement, with it's periodicity dictated by it's mechanics and chemistry (physical properties) that can be manipulated with certain forces, ie. gravity/electromagnetic energy, etc.

I feel that one thing is certain, as Immanuel Kant put it: 'time is neither an event nor a thing, and thus is not itself measurable nor can it be traveled.'
SpheresOfBalance

But I'm not done. You are in the universe as I described above, meeting the aliens and such but in this scenario they are very advanced and you never bridge the communication gap, instead they don't understand you at all, without warning they shoot you with their expansion ray such that you instantly increase in size on the order of a billion googolplex's until you out grow the universe and pass through its boundaries much like osmosis through a permeable membrane. You find yourself standing there in a new reality with the universe from which you came, in the palm of your hand, looking much like a bead of water. From this perspective how far did you travel and how much time elapsed from the moment you left earth, until now? If you met some other aliens in this new universe, and you wanted to show them by sticking a needle in the universe (droplet of water) in your hand, pointing out where you originated and where you ended up, prior to being expanded, how much time would it take as compared to the actual journey you had taken? Come on, tell and show me how much time had elapsed.

Time is just a figment of mans imagination, used to organize sequential events in relative movement.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

time is a Swiss conspiracy...

-Imp
reasonemotion

Post by reasonemotion »

If you think that the first measurement of time was done in days, then in menstrual cycles female, then in seasons, for arrival in lives of human beings.
The bases reference mark were easy to observe and define.
For the first, the day was armature of a physical phenomenon, masking us the light for several hours. This aspect is our perception of the rotation of the ground on itself under precise geographical conditions.
For the second, the observation of a human body gave to time a longer rate/rhythm.
The third more complex time made it possible to know when it was necessary to be found at a precise place to be able to benefit from the fruits which nature offers to us
The fourth time was illusory because varying almost with each case, there remained nevertheless that which concerned us more. The length of time we lived.
The Voice of Time

Post by The Voice of Time »

Time is the arrangement of change. To say there is no arrangement of change is just to state that things are chaotic, but as long as there "can" be an arrangement, there will also always be.

That the universe is partitioned just tells us that there exists members of a set called "the universe" which are not equal among themselves. This information is not very surprising. You could equally say that "2 + 2 = 4" and I wouldn't feel less enlightened.

Please, what is the candy of this struggle you mention?
apaosha

Post by apaosha »

Time is the measure of change. Change is the capacity to interact. Before one can posit a phenomenon's existence, it must be capable of being affected or producing affect in it's environment - it must be perceptible. Therefore movement in time, the capacity to interact, is a fundamental prerequisite to existence.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Weren't you banned?
apaosha

Post by apaosha »

Deleted actually. Are you going to discuss the subject here or gossip?
Satyr

Post by Satyr »

apaosha wrote:Deleted actually. Are you going to discuss the subject here or gossip?
Amongst the herd gossip is behind it all.
SpheresOfBalance

Satyr wrote:
apaosha wrote:Deleted actually. Are you going to discuss the subject here or gossip?
Amongst the herd gossip is behind it all.
Your lips are red and swollen with your cum as your penis is red and swollen with your saliva! But it's just a figment of your vivid boyish imagination. You're such a little bad "boy," aren't you? Grow up little one. I suggest the precipice, so you can feel the waves of whistles, knowing envelopment of the abyss is at any second, or as I've known, the cold submerged steel, a mile into shore, delivering your load or other such absurdities, you talk from your ass, little boy.
ForgedinHell

Post by ForgedinHell »

Time is a real dimension, and according to the special theory, we are all traveling at the speed of light, all of us, but through 4 dimensions. Three of the dimensions are space, and the fourth is time. A simple way to think of it is imagine just two spatial dimensions. You drive 50 miles per hour in the north direction. After one hour, you have traveled 50 miles. (I know it's actually less for the traveler, but this is to illustrate a basic idea.) Now, let's say, instead of traveling north, you travel north-west, 45 degrees above the western line. After traveling one hour at 50 miles per hour, you have traveled less than 50 miles north. The reason? Because some of your travel was done in the other direction.

The faster we travel through physical space, the less we travel through the time dimension. This is why for a photon time stands still. The photon travels at the speed of light through space, so there is nothing left over to travel through the time dimension. A photon that has been traveling for billions of years has not aged even the tiniest fraction of a second in all that time.

Time is something real, it can be measured empirically. But, because it is relative, meaning, that there is no clock located somewhere in space that keeps track of absolute time, we cannot use time for physical calculations. Since time is dependent on the observer, if an equation calls for time, what time do we put in? Similarly, since space is also not absolute, if an equation calls for length (a space measure) or distance, what do we use? That's why physicists, when dealing with non-ordinary events for which Newtonian mechanics works fine, they use the invariant called space-time. While space is variable, and time is variable, space-time is invariant, that is, all observers agree on its value, except in those cases where the observers are so far removed, the order of events has no effect on causality.

Philosophy cannot address scientific issues, only science can. Philosophy can only address non-science issues, and that, only if realism is false.
SpheresOfBalance

ForgedinHell wrote:Time is a real dimension, and according to the special theory, we are all traveling at the speed of light, all of us, but through 4 dimensions. Three of the dimensions are space, and the fourth is time. A simple way to think of it is imagine just two spatial dimensions. You drive 50 miles per hour in the north direction. After one hour, you have traveled 50 miles. (I know it's actually less for the traveler, but this is to illustrate a basic idea.) Now, let's say, instead of traveling north, you travel north-west, 45 degrees above the western line. After traveling one hour at 50 miles per hour, you have traveled less than 50 miles north. The reason? Because some of your travel was done in the other direction.
North, South, East and West are man made concepts that are meaningless in space, as there is no direction. So he supports his fictitious things with his fictitious things, how convenient!

The faster we travel through physical space, the less we travel through the time dimension. This is why for a photon time stands still. The photon travels at the speed of light through space, so there is nothing left over to travel through the time dimension. A photon that has been traveling for billions of years has not aged even the tiniest fraction of a second in all that time.
Things do not age, they simply change due to external or internal forces. The biological processes of man simply fail with changes in their standard operating procedures due to many causal's that exert influence.

Time is something real, it can be measured empirically.
There is no definitive proof that it can or ever has been measured. The results of the atomic clock comparison does not necessarily prove what they say it proves, as it's not the only possible causal that could account for the difference.

But, because it is relative, meaning, that there is no clock located somewhere in space that keeps track of absolute time, we cannot use time for physical calculations. Since time is dependent on the observer, if an equation calls for time, what time do we put in? Similarly, since space is also not absolute, if an equation calls for length (a space measure) or distance, what do we use? That's why physicists, when dealing with non-ordinary events for which Newtonian mechanics works fine, they use the invariant called space-time. While space is variable, and time is variable, space-time is invariant, that is, all observers agree on its value, except in those cases where the observers are so far removed, the order of events has no effect on causality.
Time does not exist, it is simply mans way of giving sequence of change a reference point.

Philosophy cannot address scientific issues, only science can. Philosophy can only address non-science issues, and that, only if realism is false.
Yes I saw the show too, it's BS! Why not simply tell us about the show instead.
Last edited by SpheresOfBalance on Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ForgedinHell

Post by ForgedinHell »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
ForgedinHell wrote:Time is a real dimension, and according to the special theory, we are all traveling at the speed of light, all of us, but through 4 dimensions. Three of the dimensions are space, and the fourth is time. A simple way to think of it is imagine just two spatial dimensions. You drive 50 miles per hour in the north direction. After one hour, you have traveled 50 miles. (I know it's actually less for the traveler, but this is to illustrate a basic idea.) Now, let's say, instead of traveling north, you travel north-west, 45 degrees above the western line. After traveling one hour at 50 miles per hour, you have traveled less than 50 miles north. The reason? Because some of your travel was done in the other direction.

Time is something real, it can be measured empirically.
There is no definitive proof that it can or ever has been measured. The results of the atomic clock comparison does not necessarily prove what they say it proves, as it's not the only possible causal that could account for the difference.

What show? My point was that time is something for science to deal with, and we need to look at empirical evidence. The above explanation I gave shows the dangers in the one user fantasizing about space aliens, somehow "proving" that time does not exist.

But, because it is relative, meaning, that there is no clock located somewhere in space that keeps track of absolute time, we cannot use time for physical calculations. Since time is dependent on the observer, if an equation calls for time, what time do we put in? Similarly, since space is also not absolute, if an equation calls for length (a space measure) or distance, what do we use? That's why physicists, when dealing with non-ordinary events for which Newtonian mechanics works fine, they use the invariant called space-time. While space is variable, and time is variable, space-time is invariant, that is, all observers agree on its value, except in those cases where the observers are so far removed, the order of events has no effect on causality.

Yes I saw the show too, it's BS!