Fulfillment of Biblical Predictions

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Janoah

Fulfillment of Biblical Predictions

Post by Janoah »

Doesn't this Biblical Prediction below remind you of today's realities?
"1 Now these are the nations which the LORD left, to prove Israel by them, even as many of Israel as had not known all the wars of Canaan; 2 only that the generations of the children of Israel might know, to teach them war, at the least such as before knew nothing thereof; 3 namely, five lords of the Philistines, and all the Canaanites, and the Sidonians, and the Hivites that dwelt in mount Lebanon, from mount Baal-hermon unto the entering in of Hamath. 4 And they were to prove Israel by them, to know whether they would hearken unto the commandments of the LORD, which he commanded their fathers by the hand of Moses."
(JUDGES 3)

"They aroused My jealousy with a non-god
and provoked Me with their vanities;
I will arouse their jealousy with a non-people
and provoke them with a vile nation."
(DEUTERONOMY 32, 21)

Both Christ and Muhammad claimed that they came to confirm what was said in the Bible. But their followers at times took on the role of those “a vile nation”, “a non-people”, “and they were to prove Israel by them,...”.

How can we explain that more than two thousand years have passed, but the Biblical Predictions are coming true?
Gary Childress

Re: Fulfillment of Biblical Predictions

Post by Gary Childress »

Janoah wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:39 am How can we explain that more than two thousand years have passed, but the Biblical Predictions are coming true?
Maybe because human civilization has not changed a whole lot in the thousands of years since the Bible was written. Perhaps we should try something else than ally ourselves with this "god" people talk about. As far as I can tell all God does is pick favorites. More than that, I have no idea.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Janoah wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:39 am Doesn't this Biblical Prediction below remind you of today's realities?
"1 Now these are the nations which the LORD left, to prove Israel by them, even as many of Israel as had not known all the wars of Canaan; 2 only that the generations of the children of Israel might know, to teach them war, at the least such as before knew nothing thereof; 3 namely, five lords of the Philistines, and all the Canaanites, and the Sidonians, and the Hivites that dwelt in mount Lebanon, from mount Baal-hermon unto the entering in of Hamath. 4 And they were to prove Israel by them, to know whether they would hearken unto the commandments of the LORD, which he commanded their fathers by the hand of Moses."
(JUDGES 3)

(DEUTERONOMY 32, 21)

Both Christ and Muhammad claimed that they came to confirm what was said in the Bible. But their followers at times took on the role of those “a vile nation”, “a non-people”, “and they were to prove Israel by them,...”.

How can we explain that more than two thousand years have passed, but the Biblical Predictions are coming true?
Nothing but silly biblical mumbo-jumbo! What did the bible say about the holocaust, one of the greatest events in the history of the Jews?
Janoah

Post by Janoah »

"He that reproveth a scorner getteth to himself shame:
And he that rebuketh a wicked man getteth himself a blot."
((PROVERBS 9, 7)
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Janoah wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:39 am
The Bible is full of crap. What do you have to say about that, Janoah?
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

It's so vague that it could mean anything at any time.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Janoah wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:57 pm "He that reproveth a scorner getteth to himself shame:
And he that rebuketh a wicked man getteth himself a blot."
((PROVERBS 9, 7)
I'm not sure if God is reading this forum or not. And I don't know which "wicked" person you're responding to, perhaps it's my post, or perhaps it's Dubious' rather dubious post, or both. However, I think quoting that passage from Proverbs, just gave you a big "blot" just as it says and that's about it. It might be better to respond directly to your INTERLOCUTOR using contemporary vernacular that your interlocutor can understand so that you are addressing your INTERLOCUTOR about his or her post in a way that will allow him or her to understand how you feel about the post and why you feel that way.
Janoah

Post by Janoah »

The fool does not possess wisdom, cannot obtain wisdom, and would not obtain it if he could.

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

There is no Law written for fools.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Janoah wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:30 pm The fool does not possess wisdom, cannot obtain wisdom, and would not obtain it if he could.

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

There is no Law written for fools.
Can you engage here in your own words? Many of us do not hang on what the Bible says, and any discussions about religion are naturally going to be challenged on a philosophy forum.

The 'messages' put forth in the Bible can be observed and interpreted from different perspectives and for different purposes. For example... your quotes above... who are actually the fools or fooling themselves? Who are those who make idols from religion, despite being advised not to? Where does evil live, more than behind the curtains of religion? What is actually holy and divine -- might it have less to do with religion, and more to do with what is naturally pulsing throughout all? What is more divisive than religion? And yet the religious are always telling the non-religious how to be. :)

I think the Bible contains some wisdom, just as so many other perspectives and time periods do. But it appears to me that the Bible actually speaks and warns most in regard to its own followers. And the religious seem to have a way of manifesting the doom to fulfill their own prophecies, while blaming it on the non-religious.
Peter Kropotkin

Post by Peter Kropotkin »

my problem with biblical predictions, besides the whole
being wrong a lot part, ( how many times does the bible
suggests is the end times and did Jesus actually have a
second coming, as suggested by the bible? No, on both counts)

is that the bible itself takes us away
from where we need to be.... the bible takes us to think of ourselves
as part of some big mystical plan of god, when we should be thinking
about who we are and what does it mean to be human? in reading the bible,
we are focused on the wrong thing.. the wrong goal, the wrong actions....

for example, the bible says that one can reach heaven by a belief in Jesus,
and so one focuses on holding a belief in Jesus... when we should be
focused on us and our society/state.....we are thinking about the bible, but
we should be thinking about what makes a better human being?

I have read the bible many times, and it has some really good stories..
but that is all the bible is good for, its stories... the bible presents us
with some possibilities.... and we can hold to the bible in terms
of the possibilities that it suggests.... nothing more....

and as a way of life? which is the most important part of what it means
to be human? the bible message/goal is not a very good ''way of life''
for us to be pursuing.....

Kropotkin
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

for example, the bible says that one can reach heaven by a belief in Jesus, and so one focuses on holding a belief in Jesus... when we should be focused on us and our society/state.....we are thinking about the bible, but we should be thinking about what makes a better human being?
European Christianity is foundationally Catholic, and Catholic doctrine addresses all aspects of life lived in the here-and-now. With an eye certainly on an after-existence but with focus on social doctrine.

“Belief in Jesus” is just one facet of a committed Christian-Catholic life.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

What Janoah is trying to say, and what he wishes to make clear, has to be guessed. He seems to be “testing” whether those who read here believe in biblical prophecy.

But does he believe in it? And if so what is now happening that has been specifically prophesied?

Note that in Isaian terms Yahwism is the ultimate and absolute imperialism. And Yahweh the Absolute Imperialist. When Christians say “every knee shall bow” that expresses the Judaic vision.

(How are things IC? You have squeaked nothing on these topics for a few weeks now. What gives?)
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:52 pm What Janoah is trying to say, and what he wishes to make clear, has to be guessed.
And until we know his intentions, he should be treated with hostility, and thereafter, possibly with more hostility.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Janoah wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:39 am Doesn't this Biblical Prediction below remind you of today's realities?
(JUDGES 3)

(DEUTERONOMY 32, 21)

Both Christ and Muhammad claimed that they came to confirm what was said in the Bible. But their followers at times took on the role of those “a vile nation”, “a non-people”, “and they were to prove Israel by ąaathem,...”.

Are you familiar with "cold reading"? Con men can convince rubes of just about anything.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Janoah wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 2:30 pm Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
I'm sure God will approve if you smite my unholy self. :roll: