Science is Based on Faith like Theism?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Science is Based on Faith like Theism?

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

ETA: My original response was not clear because I relied on the scientific anti-realism while Polanyi's basis was that of Scientific realism and theism which both are grounded on philosophical realism.
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:31 am Actually, it is. Would you say that a scientist had no "faith" in his procedures and tests?

My faith, like theirs is premised on evidence. But I think my evidence is a good deal better than what they usually have to go on, when they set out to design a truly new experiment. After all, when they set out on that, they've seen nothing; the test has never been run, and they have only hypotheses drawn from whatever similar cases they may perceive on which to go. But of the actual experiment, they have zero data.

That's a lot of faith for a person to have, I'd say.
On the basis of scientific realism as grounded on philosophical realism [mind-independence] is to correct that scientific realism do rely on faith.
Thus scientific realists who are philosophical realist has no defense that their science is based on faith just a theism is based on faith.

However anti-scientific_realism which is based on anti-philosophical_realism is not based on faith like those of the p-realists and theists.

See detailed argument here;
Scientific Realism [faith-based] vs Scientific Anti-Realism
viewtopic.php?p=658796#p658796

Here is a comment from ChatGPT [with reservations] in relation to the why anti-scientific realism is not based on faith.
To convince theists that science [in-general] is not based on faith, it's important to highlight the fundamental differences between the scientific method and faith-based beliefs. Here are some key points to consider when engaging in this discussion:

Empirical evidence: Science is based on empirical evidence gathered through systematic observation and experimentation. The scientific method involves making hypotheses, testing them, and analyzing the results to draw conclusions. This reliance on evidence sets it apart from faith, which is often based on belief without tangible evidence.

Falsifiability: Scientific theories and hypotheses are formulated in a way that allows them to be falsified or proven wrong. This means that they are open to scrutiny and can be modified or discarded if evidence contradicts them. On the other hand, faith-based beliefs often rely on claims that are immune to falsification, making them more resistant to questioning and revision.

Predictive power: The success of science lies in its ability to make accurate predictions about the natural world based on well-supported theories. These predictions can be tested and verified by others independently. Faith, on the other hand, typically does not offer such predictive power as it deals with matters beyond empirical investigation.

Consistency and coherence: Scientific knowledge is interconnected and forms a coherent framework. Each scientific discovery builds upon previous ones and must be consistent with existing knowledge. Faith-based beliefs often lack this consistency, as they can vary significantly between individuals and religious traditions.

Peer review and skepticism: Science encourages peer review and skepticism, where research and findings are critically evaluated by experts in the field. This helps to reduce bias and ensure the validity of scientific claims. Faith, on the other hand, often discourages questioning or doubting core beliefs.

Provisional nature: Scientific understanding is provisional, meaning that new evidence or observations can lead to modifications or even complete revisions of existing theories. This adaptability distinguishes it from faith-based beliefs that are typically treated as immutable and eternal.

Universal application: Scientific principles apply consistently across different cultures, beliefs, and worldviews. The scientific method is a universal approach to understanding the natural world, irrespective of one's religious or non-religious beliefs.
Scientists do rely on faith to some insignificant degrees but this is polished off during the process of intersubjective consensus within the scientific framework.

Your claim that theism [God exists] is based on evidence is very misleading with intent to be deceptive. Theism is grounded on an illusion via Philosophical Realism.

When science proves that X exists it is based on direct empirical evidence X as verified and justified within a human-based scientific Framework.
When science speculates based on existing empirical evidences, it will qualify such speculations with various degrees of uncertainty, e.g. Big Bang Theory and the likes.

When theism insists God exists as absolutely real [without qualifications], it does not rely on the direct evidence of an empirical God as science does.
Rather theists make a intelligible leap to an intelligible entity [supersensible] that has no empirical possibility to be verified and justified empirically as real within a credible Framework and System of Knowledge.
  • It is impossible, Kant argues, to extend knowledge to the supersensible realm of speculative metaphysics. The reason that knowledge has these constraints, Kant argues, is that the mind plays an active role in constituting the features of experience and limiting the mind’s access only to the empirical realm of space and time.
    https://iep.utm.edu/kantmeta/
It is Impossible for God to be Real
viewtopic.php?t=40229

ETA: with reservations
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Flannel Jesus

Re: Science is Based on Faith like Theism?

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Lose the ChatGPT stuff please. Here's my dirty protest: 💩
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:28 am Lose the ChatGPT stuff please. Here's my dirty protest: 💩
I think ChatGpt is fair game in a debate between IC and VA. Context, FJ, context.
We can have a Bible/Chatgt duel, for example.
Like when the dualists are 'differently abled' and their seconds stand in for them.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

It'd be good to hear what is meant by faith in this discussion. Contrast it with belief. Is it a specific kind of belief, for example the belief in God, but otherwise the same as believing in the Big Bang or whatever? Or is it different not only in the content but also in the form/process?
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

If everyone behaved like VA, this whole forum would be chat gpt arguing with yourself.

Chat gpt, make an argument that Christianity is evil.

Chat gpt, make an argument that Christianity is good.

Pretty soon, nobody on this forum would even bother reading or thinking about anything. They'd just paste the other persons response into ChatGPT and say "rebut this please". Maybe these mindless monsters wouldn't even say "please".

I think AI is great, by the way, but don't let it be the reason your brains atrophy ffs
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Why is VA disputing IC's characterisation of science? It's completely in line with all that "Credible FSK" shit VA always does.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:14 pm If everyone behaved like VA, this whole forum would be chat gpt arguing with yourself.

Chat gpt, make an argument that Christianity is evil.

Chat gpt, make an argument that Christianity is good.
I was actually going to propose that you and I run a thread like that. Duelling AIs
Pretty soon, nobody on this forum would even bother reading or thinking about anything. They'd just paste the other persons response into ChatGPT and say "rebut this please". Maybe these mindless monsters wouldn't even say "please".
I asked ChatGPT for the drawbacks of using it in philosophical discussions. Apart from 'honestly or humbly' saying it didn't really understand what it was saying and could not reflect on it's answers, that there were likely biases, it also suggested that it might damage the intellectual development of the users. LOL.
I think AI is great, by the way, but don't let it be the reason your brains atrophy ffs
ChatGPT agrees, but more politely.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:06 pmI asked ChatGPT for the drawbacks of using it in philosophical discussions. Apart from 'honestly or humbly' saying it didn't really understand what it was saying and could not reflect on it's answers, that there were likely biases, it also suggested that it might damage the intellectual development of the users. LOL.
That's honestly pretty fucking fascinating.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:31 amMy faith, like theirs is premised on evidence. But I think my evidence is a good deal better than what they usually have to go on, when they set out to design a truly new experiment.
Okay, but he refuses to provide us with this evidence. He merely demands that we watch 16 YouTube videos and find it ourselves.

I've offered to explore all of these videos with him one by one on another thread. He refuses.

I've pointed out that the video he recommended to another here -- the "meaning" video -- ends with the Christian admitting to the atheist that her own assessment does not prove that Christianity is in fact the real deal.

As for science, sure, the farther out on the limb that scientists go in regard to the Big Questions, the more they become uncertain regarding the "objective truth". Questions like this...

Why something instead of nothing?
Why this something and not something else?
Where does the human condition fit into the whole understanding of this particular something itself?
What of solipsism, sim worlds, dream worlds, the Matrix?
What of the multiverse?
What of God?

In fact, scientists still have no way of determining unequivocally if the work that they do is or is not but an inherent manifestation of the only possible reality given a wholly determined universe.

And they certainly have no capacity to demonstrate that God does not exist.

But for those like IC to suggest that his own faith in the Christian God is based on evidence that is actually better than the scientists? In regard to what? What particular experiments would he propose to augment his own evidence?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:26 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:06 pmI asked ChatGPT for the drawbacks of using it in philosophical discussions. Apart from 'honestly or humbly' saying it didn't really understand what it was saying and could not reflect on it's answers, that there were likely biases, it also suggested that it might damage the intellectual development of the users. LOL.
That's honestly pretty fucking fascinating.
I suspect they have been very careful when it comes to ChatGPT evaluating itself and its use. I mean, you don't want it searching the internet and finding a bunch of stuff that says it will become conscious and perhaps harm humans or is ready to replace most workers or whatever. It's unlikely that its heuristics would end up producing that, but then the makers likely wouldn't want there to be any ambiguity. I don't know this, I'm guessing.

When I asked ChapGPt about its potential for harm and other catastrophy related questions, the answers seemed very cautious and very much in line with what the makers would want it to say both in style and content.

And they must know that educators, for example, are now about to face AI enhanced essay writers and all the problems this creates for grading and assessing.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:48 am
Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:28 am Lose the ChatGPT stuff please. Here's my dirty protest: 💩
I think ChatGpt is fair game in a debate between IC and VA. Context, FJ, context.
We can have a Bible/Chatgt duel, for example.
Like when the dualists are 'differently abled' and their seconds stand in for them.
Just for the record, as I noted to FJ over at ILP:
Flannel Jesus wrote: Chat gpt 3 and 4 are both freely available to talk to. Why don't you go ask them what they think of your ideas yourself?
iambiguous wrote:...okay, the fact is I did try to use ChatGPT.

I went to chat.openai.com and registered. But after providing my email address and creating a password, suddenly, I'm being asked for all sorts of personal information...my real name, my age, my telephone number. That's where I balked.

Why? Well, they said it was for "security"? Whose security? How is giving out all of this personal information about myself to some virtual online entity make me more secure?

Sure, I'm of an older generation and less comfortable around this computer technology. I may well only be unnecessarily paranoid here. But if it can't register me with just an email address and password, well, as Donnie Brasco might say, forget about it.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

iambiguous wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:56 pm ...okay, the fact is I did try to use ChatGPT.

I went to chat.openai.com and registered. But after providing my email address and creating a password, suddenly, I'm being asked for all sorts of personal information...my real name, my age, my telephone number. That's where I balked.

Why? Well, they said it was for "security"? Whose security? How is giving out all of this personal information about myself to some virtual online entity make me more secure?

Sure, I'm of an older generation and less comfortable around this computer technology. I may well only be unnecessarily paranoid here. But if it can't register me with just an email address and password, well, as Donnie Brasco might say, forget about it.
That's odd. I wasn't asked for any private information. Maybe they've added stuff since I signed up. I don't like when they ask for all that stuff either. I'm a 20th century type of guy also I guess.

I don't really think you're missing much.
Atla

Post by Atla »

I forced ChatGPT to admit that there could be some truth to Western Astrology. I found that impressive. :)
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

iambiguous wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:29 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:31 amMy faith, like theirs is premised on evidence. But I think my evidence is a good deal better than what they usually have to go on, when they set out to design a truly new experiment.
Okay, but he refuses to provide us with this evidence. He merely demands that we watch 16 YouTube videos and find it ourselves.
No, that's just for you. You asked, and you got what you asked for. You're afraid to look at it. Hard cheese for you. 8)

I'll talk to other people, of course...but you've fired your shot, lost the battle, and are now desperately swimming upstream against the evidence you could have. I'm happy to leave you doing that.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:22 am Scientists do rely on faith to some insignificant degrees...
Not "insignificant." Constant. Read Polanyi.