Val Kilmer and the reality of disease

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tbieter

Val Kilmer and the reality of disease

Post by tbieter »

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/v ... net_751195
If my memory is accurate, Mary Baker Eddy, the founder of Christian Science, denied the reality of disease. The philosophy underlying her theology was absolute idealism. Thus, disease was an illusory concept. Instead of resort to the treatments of medical science, Christian Scientists rely on prayer and meditation.
I suspect that Kilmer will die soon from esophageal cancer.

"Christian Science reveals incontrovertibly that Mind is All-in-all, that the only realities are the divine Mind and idea. This great fact is not, however, seen to be supported by sensible evidence, until its divine Principle is demonstrated by healing the sick and thus proved absolute and divine. This proof once seen, no other conclusion can be reached." Mary Baker Eddy
http://www.marybakereddylibrary.org/mar ... nd-health/
Hobbes' Choice

Re: Val Kilmer and the reality of disease

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

I had a tumour in my tonsil eight years ago. I was offered 2 operations, 7 weeks of daily radiotherapy and 7 weekly sessions of chemotherapy.
Treatments of this kind to the mouth and neck are possibly amongst the most difficult to cope with, because of the complexity of the anatomy in these areas. It was very tough to get through. I can understand anyone knowing the details, not wanting to go through it.
I was given a choice take the treatment or live one more year.

I took the treatment. I still get pain from it- not the cancer - but as a consequence of the treatment.

I think Kilmer is a dead man walking.
Hobbes' Choice

Re: Val Kilmer and the reality of disease

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

"Christian Science" is a bot of a misnomer. It's not particularly christian, and it certainly is not science.