Helen of Troy

What is art? What is beauty?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Helen of Troy

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

She was said to be the most beautiful woman in the world in her time. Do you think this is true? (no paintings/statues of her exist)

PhilX
Ginkgo

Re: Helen of Troy

Post by Ginkgo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:She was said to be the most beautiful woman in the world in her time. Do you think this is true? (no paintings/statues of her exist)

PhilX
When it comes to mythology you can make anyone as beautiful as you like for dramatic effect.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Ginkgo wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:She was said to be the most beautiful woman in the world in her time. Do you think this is true? (no paintings/statues of her exist)

PhilX
When it comes to mythology you can make anyone as beautiful as you like for dramatic effect.
I don't disagree,with this overall. At one time though Troy was considered to be a myth until its existence was confirmed (with Helen I'm not saying she was the most beautiful woman in the world, just possibly Greece).

PhilX
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Ginkgo wrote:

PhilX
I don't disagree,with this overall. At one time though Troy was considered to be a myth until its existence was confirmed (with Helen I'm not saying she was the most beautiful woman in the world, just possibly Greece).

PhilX
Yes, the archaeological evidence suggests there was an actual Troy. However, it is worth keeping in mind that Homer was not an historian, he was an entertainer. On this basis it is likely he produced a mixture of fact and fantasy. In all likelihood Helen was a mythical character.