"Proofs are for math and symbolic logic" [Only?]

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

"Proofs are for math and symbolic logic" [Only?]

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

I have often used 'proofs' in relation to any discipline that require evidence to justify an argument.
It is so often I get this counter;

"Proofs are for math and symbolic logic."

This is based on ignorance and is so annoying because I have already explained many times, 'proof' is not exclusive to math and logic.

I suggest one read this;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_(truth)
which show 'proof' is valid in many disciplines other than math and logic.
  • "In most disciplines, evidence is required to prove something. Evidence is drawn from the experience of the world around us, with science obtaining its evidence from nature,[11] law obtaining its evidence from witnesses and forensic investigation,[12] and so on."
Can any one prove "Proofs are for math and symbolic logic" [supposedly exclusively]
and which God dictates this ought?

Discuss?? Views??
Iwannaplato

Re: "Proofs are for math and symbolic logic" [Only?]

Post by Iwannaplato »

If only you would read your own links.....
In some areas of epistemology and theology, the notion of justification plays approximately the role of proof,
In philosophy in general, proofs are limited to systems where we can deduce the conclusions with great certainty, because we made up the system in question. In epistemology, you justify things.

Otherwise you end up with precisely the silly situation I mentioned in the other thread.

VA says an article proves that PH is wrong.
Then...
PH finds a different article that supports his position and PROVES that he is right.

And we must accept that both PH and VA PROVED both X and not X.

The wikipedia entry is covering a vast range of situations/contexts.

But hey, keep on saying you proved X when you have an article with a good argument in support of your position.
But if you have the slightest bit of honor, you will then accept that PH has proved something when he's done the parallel act.

And I suspect you won't accept that others have proved something because they found an article online by a philosopher that argues in favor of their position, unless you agree with it.

Anyway...it'll be fun to watch.

You saying I proved it.
Someone else saying I proved it was wrong.
And you have to say, Yeah, you proved it was wrong, but I proved it was right.