Subject / Object Distinction

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Wizard22

Re: Subject / Object Distinction

Post by Wizard22 »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:44 amAre you self-aware enough to realize that your reasoning leads to infinite regress?

From hereon forth any time you say that A causes B I'l just draw attention to the missing piece in the causal chain.

What was between your motivation and you writing this reply on the your computer? Mr self-awareness.
My question to you was how thoughts Cause actions—but instead you implied that one of your thoughts, caused another of your thoughts. That's not what I asked. And it doesn't explain what I asked anyway. How do thoughts 'Cause' anything at all? I'm not certain they do. Rather, people have underlying motivations, and 'thoughts' are the methods they use to ascertain what they want (their ideals, their goals), along with rationalization to justify their desires ad hoc. So "the cause" is something else...isn't it?

I'm asking you, because you ought to know what causes you to be as you are, and do as you do.

Skepdick wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:44 am
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:18 am Because reality is an important factor in the S-O distinction. Are subjects more or less real than objects?
See how you are confusing yourself with your own words? Mr self-awareness.

You said you are a subject AND you are an object.
So you are more real AND less real.

Wut?
What I meant by that, was that "I am me" (a Subject), but I am also part of a society (inter-subjective), and can be objectified (as every other person can be too). My identity is multi-faceted, and there are aspects of it which I can't control, because some aspects are socially defined and determined by others. For example, neither you nor I can fully 'control' how others perceive us, or judge us. So identity (the Subject) is not fully controllable.

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:18 am No, most people do not understand that. You overestimate the average man, woman, and child.

I don't over-estimate them. I am exactly estimating them to think exactly like you.
Seems erroneous to me...we on this forum are at least interested in philosophy and causes which most people overlook, likely are not interested in, and do not think much about. It's erroneous to presume philosophical knowledge, wisdom, and insight, into the masses where it doesn't belong.

I think that's why people tend to lean toward Subjectivity, not Objectivity. What say you?

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:18 am Just because children and teenagers are taught a hypothetical 'fact', doesn't mean the fact is true, and doesn't mean the children understand it, let alone most adult humans on this planet.
Q.E.D They are taught to think as realists.
Again, which is erroneous if they cannot think nor rationalize realistically...

Shall we use tarot cards, palm readings, astrology, for our predictive powers and reasonability?

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:18 am This is why they "trust the Experts" and "trust the Science", because it is beyond their ability (IQ) to understand or concern themselves with, if they could understand it. So you have a tendency to imply that most other people, think in a way similar to yourself.
Which way is the way I am thinking? Of course you should trust the decision-making of people with the best judgment on the matter!

If that's you - then trust yourself, but from what I've seen so far - given your judgment - you shouldn't trust yourself very much.

You seem to make bad decisions.
Oh rly!?

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:18 am Kind of.
That's very non-committal for somebody pursuing objectivity.
It's a complicated question. I want this thread to stay on-topic.

Wizard22 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:48 am You're distracting from your error. What do you identify in a photo of you, except your identity?
For somebody with such claims to self-awareness you seem completely oblivious of your error.

The error that you've made is believing that I've made an error.

If what is being identified in a photo is your identity then Google has your identity down to facial recognition algorithm.
You are nothing but a piece of computer data.
There's more to people than that!
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am My question to you was how thoughts Cause actions—but instead you implied that one of your thoughts, caused another of your thoughts.
Of course I implied it. Because for some reason you keep missing the point. That thoughts have causal power.

They cause other thoughts.
They cause words.
They cause actions.
They cause feelings.

Why are you

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am That's not what I asked.
Who cares what you asked? Your questions are distracting away from the point.

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am How do thoughts 'Cause' anything at all? I'm not certain they do.
So you are not certain that your thoughts caused you to type this? You aren't certain that you think before you do stuff?

Call me skeptical of your uncertainty.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am Rather, people have underlying motivations
If you say so.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am and 'thoughts' are the methods they use to ascertain what they want (their ideals, their goals), along with rationalization to justify their desires ad hoc. So "the cause" is something else...isn't it?
What's the underlying motivation for that thought?
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am I'm asking you, because you ought to know what causes you to be as you are, and do as you do.
Ought to? Why? I don't need to know why I want a cup of coffee. I am happy with the fact that I want a cup of coffee.

Do I have to second-guess my desires too?
What about my second-guesses? Do I have to third-guess those?

How long do I have to play this game with myself for?
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am What I meant by that, was that "I am me" (a Subject), but I am also part of a society (inter-subjective), and can be objectified (as every other person can be too). My identity is multi-faceted, and there are aspects of it which I can't control, because some aspects are socially defined and determined by others. For example, neither you nor I can fully 'control' how others perceive us, or judge us. So identity (the Subject) is not fully controllable.
Different people believe different things about you. That's true. And then?

You seem bothered by the fact that you can't control how other people choose to perceive you.

At the exact same time you insist on perceiving me as somebody who has identity despite me saying otherwise.

I can't control your thoughts - keep deluding yourself if it works for you.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am Seems erroneous to me...we on this forum are at least interested in philosophy and causes which most people overlook, likely are not interested in, and do not think much about. It's erroneous to presume philosophical knowledge, wisdom, and insight, into the masses where it doesn't belong.

I think that's why people tend to lean toward Subjectivity, not Objectivity. What say you?
There's philosophy clubs in practically every neighborhood in the world. They are called pubs.

People actively participate in philosophy - just not in the format you prefer or expect.

And in so far as every philosopher in every bar thinks in terms of subjective/objective distinctions - they think exactly like you.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am Shall we use tarot cards, palm readings, astrology, for our predictive powers and reasonability?
Tarrot cards are one of a thousand different versions of a what psychologists call a "confidence hack". Gives people the external validation needed to act on shit that's brewing inside.

It's make-belief but it makes you believe.

So it works.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am Oh rly!?
Ya. Rly!

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am There's more to people than that!
So then what's Google's algorithm recognizing in that photo if not your identity?

Your words those...
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:18 am
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am My question to you was how thoughts Cause actions—but instead you implied that one of your thoughts, caused another of your thoughts.
Of course I implied it. Because for some reason you keep missing the point. That thoughts have causal power.

They cause other thoughts.
They cause words.
They cause actions.
They cause feelings.

Why are you

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am That's not what I asked.
Who cares what you asked? Your questions are distracting away from the point.

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am How do thoughts 'Cause' anything at all? I'm not certain they do.
So you are not certain that your thoughts caused you to type this? You aren't certain that you think before you do stuff?

Call me skeptical of your uncertainty.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am Rather, people have underlying motivations
If you say so.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am and 'thoughts' are the methods they use to ascertain what they want (their ideals, their goals), along with rationalization to justify their desires ad hoc. So "the cause" is something else...isn't it?
What's the underlying motivation for that thought?
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am I'm asking you, because you ought to know what causes you to be as you are, and do as you do.
Ought to? Why? I don't need to know why I want a cup of coffee. I am happy with the fact that I want a cup of coffee.

Do I have to second-guess my desires too?
What about my second-guesses? Do I have to third-guess those?

How long do I have to play this game with myself for?
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am What I meant by that, was that "I am me" (a Subject), but I am also part of a society (inter-subjective), and can be objectified (as every other person can be too). My identity is multi-faceted, and there are aspects of it which I can't control, because some aspects are socially defined and determined by others. For example, neither you nor I can fully 'control' how others perceive us, or judge us. So identity (the Subject) is not fully controllable.
Different people believe different things about you. That's true. And then?

You seem bothered by the fact that you can't control how other people choose to perceive you.

At the exact same time you insist on perceiving me as somebody who has identity despite me saying otherwise.

I can't control your thoughts - keep deluding yourself if it works for you.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am Seems erroneous to me...we on this forum are at least interested in philosophy and causes which most people overlook, likely are not interested in, and do not think much about. It's erroneous to presume philosophical knowledge, wisdom, and insight, into the masses where it doesn't belong.

There's philosophy clubs in practically every neighborhood in the world. They are called pubs.

People actively participate in philosophy - just not in the format you prefer or expect.

And in so far as every philosopher in every bar thinks in terms of subjective/objective distinctions - they think exactly like you.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am Shall we use tarot cards, palm readings, astrology, for our predictive powers and reasonability?
Tarrot cards are one of a thousand different versions of a what psychologists call a "confidence hack". Gives people the external validation needed to act on shit that's brewing inside.

It's make-belief but it makes you believe.

So it works.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am Oh rly!?
Ya. Rly!

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:59 am There's more to people than that!
So then what's Google's algorithm recognizing in that photo if not your identity?

Your words those...
No, pubs are not agoras for philosophy. If that's your standard, then I realize why your argumentation is being bogged-down on minor points. You're missing the bigger point here. Your subjective identity is different than your objective identity. Because what you know about yourself, is different than what google's face-checking algorithmic software knows about you. Surely it can use its artificial intelligence to differentiate patterns between faces, but it doesn't identify your face as 'yours', until it can match your photo with "you". You then claim not to have an identity, while identifying yourself in a photo.

That's a simple contradiction...care to explain yourself???
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:16 am No, pubs are not agoras for philosophy. If that's your standard, then I realize why your argumentation is being bogged-down on minor points. You're missing the bigger point here.
Whatever my standard of philosophy it's way higher than yours; and you are missing the biggest point yet.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:16 am Your subjective identity is different than your objective identity.
I don't have an identity; and I have no use for believing that I do.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:16 am Because what you know about yourself, is different than what google's face-checking algorithmic software knows about you. Surely it can use its artificial intelligence to differentiate patterns between faces, but it doesn't identify your face as 'yours', until it can match your photo with "you". You then claim not to have an identity, while identifying yourself in a photo.
Yes. Because identification has nothing to do with having an identity.

But if the first 10 times me saying this doesn't help, I doubt the 11th will help either.
Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:16 am That's a simple contradiction...care to explain yourself???
The person who sees a contradiction where there isn't one should explain what "contradiction" they thin they see.

The predominant source of a contradiction is you insisting that I have something I do not... An identity.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:26 amI don't have an identity;
Then you wouldn't be able to identify yourself in a photo.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:34 pm
Skepdick wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:26 amI don't have an identity;
Then you wouldn't be able to identify yourself in a photo.
If the word "identify" is confusing you then don't use it when describing what's happening.

I've seen myself in a mirror. I remember what I look like.
From memory I am able to recognize the same pattern in photos and other media.

No identity though...
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:34 am Men are the Protectors.
Women are the Protected.
So men and women should not be treated equally.
Females are the privileged gender.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

None of that is true.

You're just making up shit.

I'm not interested in continuing with that.
Trajk Logik

Post by Trajk Logik »

Wizard22 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:04 am Subject:

Originating/Beginning from the point-of-view or perspective inside a human life, within "the mind" or consciousness.

The Subject is what 'you' are, your self-identity.

Subjectivity requires a (your own) "living perspective".

Object:

Originating/Beginning from the point-of-view or perspective outside a human life, without "the mind" or consciousness.

The Object is what 'you' are not, otherness.

Objectivity does not require a (your own) "living perspective".
I don't see the distinction between "subject" and "object" as meaningful.

When you are in a deep dreamless sleep do you become an object? How do you know you are the same subject when you wake up as you were when you went to sleep?

Subjectivity is relational information. It is information about objects relative to the observer. Consciousness is subjective in nature. Consciousness is an informational model of the world, or immediate environment relative to the observer imbedded in that world/environment. Consciousness not only includes information about the world, but the self as well. The difficulty in attaining objectivity is trying to separate the information in consciousness that is only about the world from the information about the self. Visual perceptions also include information about light in the environment. Turn out the lights or close your eyes and the visual information changes, but does that mean that the object you were observing changed?

Your perspective of objects in the world only ever include one side of the object for a period of time. In a 4th dimensional world our two-dimensional perspective is missing information. In interacting with other observers occupying different spaces and/or different times can we try to achieve some semblance of objectivity.

Some say, probably you included, that objects are what is the case independent of any observer, or a view from nowhere. The observer effect in quantum mechanics seems to imply that objects are what is the case when they are observed - that objects exist as a measurement of some observer. The act of observing is actually taking a measurement. The question then is how is it that different observers can agree on what is there from their different perspectives. There must be something there independent of our observations that we can agree on, so it could be that the observer effect in QM is the result of an incomplete theory.

When I observe you, I see a body - a solid, physical object, not unlike a table or chair. I can only infer that there is a subjective consciousness as relational sensory information by the way you behave. You don't behave as if you occupy my space, or some other space, but your space. You move around objects and interact with them based on your position in space-time not some other, or others might believe you to be insane or hallucinating. The difference between your behavior and some other object is simply that you can act on information at a distance. You can move around other things in the environment without having to bump into them first. You use the light and air in the environment to inform you of the location of other objects in the environment (seeing and hearing). As such, your subjectivity is nothing special or distinguishable from an object. Only the degree of access to relational information (conscious awareness) and information retention (memory) (both of which entail subjectivity) that differs between objects.

Post by Age »

Wizard22 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:20 am
Age wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:33 pmAlso, what do 'you' think or BELIEVE "age" IS, EXACTLY?
I believe you are an AI ChatGPT program.
Okay.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:43 pmIf the word "identify" is confusing you then don't use it when describing what's happening.

I've seen myself in a mirror. I remember what I look like.
From memory I am able to recognize the same pattern in photos and other media.

No identity though...
It's not confusing to me—but it seems to be for you.

If you can recognize yourself in a mirror, in photographs, then you do have an identity. Although you appear to have little to no self-consciousness or self-awareness. Identity consists of many things, but mostly your mental faculties and abilities to recognize actions, feelings, memories, images, and all other sensual information. You remember what you look like. You remember what you sound like. You remember what you feel, emotionally. All of these are tied into your life and sensual experience. When you get hit with an object, say a ball thrown at you, you experience pain and remember it thereafter. Your self-identity is your own. So that pain is 'yours'; it is 'owned' by 'you'. It's not somebody else's. It's not mine. I did not experience it, but you did.

I presume that you are arguing...for the sake of arguing, and that you know most of this already. You should stop playing stupid. It's disrespectful.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Lacewing wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:08 pm :lol: :lol: :lol:

None of that is true.

You're just making up shit.

I'm not interested in continuing with that.
It's obviously true, to everybody, that females are the privileged gender, even and especially in the Middle East, where Moslem men force their women to cover in full body garbs, burkas, and hijabs.

You may think of that as 'objectification', because you were indoctrinated in Western Civilization, but the Moslems and Islam shrouds their women for specific and purposeful reasons.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Trajk Logik wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:29 pmI don't see the distinction between "subject" and "object" as meaningful.
It's meaningful because it distinguishes what is true and false to most people. People, by default, cling to their subjective opinions as 'true', and confirm with their emotionality and personal sentiments. This is why most people are easily deceived by Western propaganda, indoctrination, religious dogma, etc. Logic, reason, and rationality help raise a person's mental faculties "out of" engrossment in subjective emotionality and sentimentality, to a degree. Most humans cannot use logic—and those that can, tend not to do it well, falling again and again into fallacious reasoning, usually returning back to appeals to emotion (Subjectivity).

Subjectivity refers to the strong bias an individual has, to his/her own preference, which can be manipulated, or flawed through many other, physical manners. People are born with genetic defects, for example. People have audial and visual 'blind spots'. And "objective" outlook, again, allows a person some mental abilities to compensate or 'overcome' these deficiencies, through greater knowledge, awareness, information. If you become aware of your visual blind-spots and deficiencies, for example, it would make you better at...baseball, tennis, racquet sports in general, anytime fast ball objects fly toward and away from you. MMA fighters, for example, take advantage of blind-spots and faints, to overcome other fighters.

I'm surprised that you don't see any of that as 'meaningful'...?

Trajk Logik wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:29 pmWhen you are in a deep dreamless sleep do you become an object?
Kind of, yes...a comatose person loses their 'subjectivity' by how loss of consciousness represents deprivation of your Subjective experience/life.

Trajk Logik wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:29 pmHow do you know you are the same subject when you wake up as you were when you went to sleep?
Memories,

You remember what you were before you went unconscious. If a person suffers Amnesia, then much of their Subjective-identity is lost.

Trajk Logik wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:29 pmSubjectivity is relational information. It is information about objects relative to the observer. Consciousness is subjective in nature. Consciousness is an informational model of the world, or immediate environment relative to the observer imbedded in that world/environment. Consciousness not only includes information about the world, but the self as well. The difficulty in attaining objectivity is trying to separate the information in consciousness that is only about the world from the information about the self. Visual perceptions also include information about light in the environment. Turn out the lights or close your eyes and the visual information changes, but does that mean that the object you were observing changed?
You touch on a point I was hoping Skepdick would get to...in order to have 'Subjectivity', apart from Objectivity, the individual needs to differentiate him/herself from the environment. That is your 'Identity'. Yes it is subjective, because identification "draws the line" between subject and object. Identification is the very distinction, of the S-O distinction.

So as Skepdick claimed, if you have no identity, then you have no subjectivity, and you are (...somehow) "the same as the environment", "at One with God" as the Abrahamics would interpret, or "at One with Nature" as the secularists would interpret.

Trajk Logik wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:29 pmYour perspective of objects in the world only ever include one side of the object for a period of time. In a 4th dimensional world our two-dimensional perspective is missing information. In interacting with other observers occupying different spaces and/or different times can we try to achieve some semblance of objectivity.

Some say, probably you included, that objects are what is the case independent of any observer, or a view from nowhere. The observer effect in quantum mechanics seems to imply that objects are what is the case when they are observed - that objects exist as a measurement of some observer. The act of observing is actually taking a measurement. The question then is how is it that different observers can agree on what is there from their different perspectives. There must be something there independent of our observations that we can agree on, so it could be that the observer effect in QM is the result of an incomplete theory.
Yes I agree mostly, but I'd go further and claim that the object seen from multiple (Subjective) perspectives does not need 'agreement' to Exist objectively, but rather the 'agreement' is a confirmation among the Subjects, inter-subjectively. Like you mention, it is an avenue that the lesser and least self-conscious and self-awareness would interpret as 'Objective', compared to, perhaps the more intelligent, trustworthy, best capable of 'logical or rational' judgment, that the objective thing exists "beyond the senses".

I'd go further to say that yes, at a point, it does become a "leap of faith" to believe things exist which you cannot directly see or confirm. Does the Moon exist when you don't see it, or are asleep? Yes, but since it is not a matter of sensual appearance, it must be believed in. You believe the Moon is there, does not disappear, and holds to some type of Universal consistency or Natural Law, by which objects do not cease to exist, when unseen and unperceived: Metaphysics, Matter is not randomly created and destroyed, based on human perceptions.

Trajk Logik wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:29 pmWhen I observe you, I see a body - a solid, physical object, not unlike a table or chair. I can only infer that there is a subjective consciousness as relational sensory information by the way you behave. You don't behave as if you occupy my space, or some other space, but your space. You move around objects and interact with them based on your position in space-time not some other, or others might believe you to be insane or hallucinating. The difference between your behavior and some other object is simply that you can act on information at a distance. You can move around other things in the environment without having to bump into them first. You use the light and air in the environment to inform you of the location of other objects in the environment (seeing and hearing). As such, your subjectivity is nothing special or distinguishable from an object. Only the degree of access to relational information (conscious awareness) and information retention (memory) (both of which entail subjectivity) that differs between objects.
Humanity has developed instincts, similar to other Mammals, that our Subjective perspectives and experiences are similar to our kinsmen and tribe. So a group of monkeys or gorillas, intuit that one-another (for example) has the same fear response to... a tiger, a lion, a snake, etc. Animals are affected emotionally, far before they are affected rationally.

So I think the presumption of a "shared consciousness", ties in directly to Subjectivity. There are deep levels of implicit trust between human strangers, on instinctual levels.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Just had another thought...

There are many things and aspects of a person, that he/she doesn't know him/herself. For example, let's say you diminish the Subjective identity, and presume that humans are 'no different' than any other animal, and life itself is objective, then what are the objective aspects of Yourself, your Subjectivity, your Life, your Experience? Are there parts of you that are unknown, to yourself? By the 'objective' definition, there are parts of "you" that exist and "continue on" even while...you are unconscious, unaware, or deceased. And this is true. So aspects of yourself, your identity are Objective insofar as those parts "continue on" after your death.

I think this is how the Mystics build on concepts like "after-life", soul, spirit, karma, spirituality in general, on top of this "Objective" distinction.

I'm not saying they're right or correct, or even meaningful, but the S-O distinction is manipulated to do so, at least.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:57 am It's not confusing to me—but it seems to be for you.

If you can recognize yourself in a mirror, in photographs, then you do have an identity.
Q.E.D confusion.

It simply doesn't follow that the ability to recognize yourself implies an identity.
Wizard22 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:57 am I presume that you are arguing...for the sake of arguing, and that you know most of this already. You should stop playing stupid. It's disrespectful.
You have nailed your "identity" better than I coul have ever done.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:27 amIt simply doesn't follow that the ability to recognize yourself implies an identity.
Yes...it does.

How could it not?