SHIP OF THESEUS

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: SHIP OF THESEUS

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:19 am Except that in most examples of the ship of Theseus, and of course Triger's Broom, there was only ever one. The question still remains is the ship or the broom the same one as the original?
But if there "was only ever one." how is it that you are attempting to perform a comparison between TWO things - the "original" against the "new" one?!?

Do you understand what arity is? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arity
Do you understand that comparing the "original" and the "new" one is a function which takes two inputs and is therefore bin-ARY (for arity).

Do you know that binary means TWO not "only ever one."?

How do you perform a binary operation on "only ever one" ?!?
How did "only ever one" become two? An original and a new one.

I can only explain the conflict between classical and quantum computation (NO CLONING!!!) only so many times.

Fucking idiot.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Toppsy Kretts wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:18 am A paradox where a ship is fully taken apart and replaced with new wood ( Ship A ), whilst a scavenger comprises the old wood that had been replaced, built into a new ship. Exactly the same as the old ship ( Ship B ).

The ship A is the holding Theseus' crew. And arrives at the dock of Athens.
The ship B is also arriving at the same dock but with one scavenger who built a ship with old wood.

Neither can be the same ship.

This seems as the case of identity...it is still discussed amongst scholars to this day, as a paradox amongst men.

=(EDIT)=
Well, now it has come to my attention. That the dynamic of the ship of Theseus paradox. Is in a way transcribed to the form of identity, in the sense of the term.
What this means to me is…Whatever ship that Theseus the character, Inhabits. That is the ship of Theseus.

No matter how many times you interchange a piece of wood. No matter how many times you've sailed across the world and have to replace a stern or a flag or a sail or any part of a ship. The ship of Theseus, Is one that's organized under the influence of Theseus himself. Comprised of the people he held with him and the times of him conducting his apparel upon the ship. And the influence in which he had during his time aboard. This resonates to me as the solid truth to which ship out of A and B Conducts itself to be reasoned as the “Ship of Theseus”.

Though if it were that easy then this topic wouldn't be challenged and discussed as well as it is to this day.
It is not the same ship but a similar one.
Toppsy Kretts

Post by Toppsy Kretts »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:02 am Fucking idiot.
Keep your emotions to yourself and me modest child. No one wants to witness your barbaric actions. problems are solved not through emotions but realization. You are obviously a young boy still figuring out the logistics of conversations so ill let it slide.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Toppsy Kretts wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:15 pm
Keep your emotions to yourself and me modest child. No one wants to witness your barbaric actions. problems are solved not through emotions but realization. You are obviously a young boy still figuring out the logistics of conversations so ill let it slide.
I doubt he's a "child". He's much more intelligent and developed than that. He's expressing frustration. Calling him a "child" is only adding poison to the cure. He's an adult. None of us can turn back once we become "adults".
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Toppsy Kretts wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:15 pm
Your condescention appears to be coming from a place from profound stupidty.

Grown men don't spend their energy on policing the expression of others. And yet you do.
Grown men don't consider mere words "barbaric". And yet you do.

Have you considered that perhaps you are the boy in the dialogue? Even if so happens that you are the eldest.

The particular "problem" you keep drawing our attention is solved through disolution. Having repetitively pointed out that it's a problem of your own making. But perhaps that's too sophisticated a reasoning for a child?

What i state is fact, channeled through strong emotion (the reasons for which you clearly do not understand). Use the search function to convince yourself of Sculptor's intellectual dysfunction.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:19 pm Have you considered that perhaps you are the boy in the dialogue? Even if so happens that you are the eldest.
He's no "boy". He's a grown man.

(Unless I'm wrong. He'd have to verify, though.)

¯\_(*_*)_/¯