(Il)Literacy Problem in the West

What did you say? And what did you mean by it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Wizard22

Re: (Il)Literacy Problem in the West

Post by Wizard22 »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:25 amThat is not relevant to my comment.
This reinforces the simple fact that you do not understand the meaning of "illiteracy".
It might indicate that you are in fact illiterate. But not responding to a comment is not an indication of illiteracy.
Illiteracy is the inability to read and write.
When you have got that sorted in your dull stupid brain come back and re-read the thread (if you can).
You "read" but you don't understand, therefore illiterate. Common among Protestants, still European barbarians after 2000 years.

Sculptor wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:28 am
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:08 am
Liberals are more censorious and anti-intellectual than I ever imagined Conservatives could be.
FLORIDA today
Today we learn that two women were arrested on felony charges for kissing on a golf course where there was a child present.
They were removed from the course in handcuffs with the back woman in fear of her life..
This is where conservatism leads.

Next it will be you.
And Liberalism leads to illiteracy, which is far worse.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:34 am
This reinforces the simple fact that you do not understand the meaning of "illiteracy".
It might indicate that you are in fact illiterate. But not responding to a comment is not an indication of illiteracy.
When you have got that sorted in your dull stupid brain come back and re-read the thread (if you can).
You "read" but you don't understand, therefore illiterate. Common among Protestants, still European barbarians after 2000 years.

Liberals are more censorious and anti-intellectual than I ever imagined Conservatives could be.
FLORIDA today
Today we learn that two women were arrested on felony charges for kissing on a golf course where there was a child present.
They were removed from the course in handcuffs with the back woman in fear of her life..

Next it will be you.
:D :D :D :D

Liberalism gave us.
universal education
social programs
Town planning acts
Health legislation.
Equal rights under the law
And universal literacy.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:46 am :D :D :D :D

Liberalism gave us.
universal education
social programs
Town planning acts
Health legislation.
Equal rights under the law
And universal literacy.
Thank you for proving my point :arrow:

Post by Age »

Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:58 am
Age wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:35 amI will SAY that the Universe IS infinite AND eternal.

Now, let us SEE you COPY 'this', and how you INTERPRET 'this', while demonstrating that you UNDERSTAND 'it', and then SHOW us how you agree or disagree with 'this'.

Then we WILL SEE what the ACTUAL outcome IS, EXACTLY.

In other words SHOW 'us' that you are ACTUALLY ABLE to DO what you ACCUSE "others" of NOT being able to do.
Easy, you say that "the Universe IS infinite AND eternal." See?

I can't interpret much from your belief
you have FAILED ALREADY.

I have NO 'belief' here. So, what this MEANS IS you have demonstrated that you are NOT interpreting Correctly and NOT understanding Correctly what I have ACTUALLY SAID and MEANT.

So, what this then MEANS is that what you ACCUSE "others" of you are ACTUALLY DOING "yourself".

And this was just in the first seven words of your reply here.

See what ACTUALLY TOOK PLACE here is you LET your OWN BIASES get in the way, rather than being COMPLETELY OPEN, INSTEAD.
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:58 am however since I don't know how you came to it in spite of the Abrahamic religions which claim the Universe is finite, with a Beginning, created from God.
LOL

YOUR INTERPRETATION here is, AGAIN, ALSO Wrong.

There is absolutely NOTHING in ALL so-called "abrahamic religions" that claims the Universe is finite, with a beginning, created from God, AT ALL.

Unless, OF COURSE, you want to SHOW and PROVE otherwise.

But, let me REMIND you that the words, which you instinctively now feel that you would like to bring forward, are NOT necessarily SAYING and MEANING 'that', which you have INTERPRETED them to do.

But PLEASE do NOT let this disencourage you from bringing ANY 'thing' FORWARD here.
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:58 am And I won't derail this thread with off-topic matter.
I have ALREADY SHOWN, and thus PROVED, that you ACTUALLY DO what you JUDGE "others" UPON and ACCUSE "others" of doing.

Post by Age »

Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:59 am
Age wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:39 amLOL
LOL
LOL

Philosophy WITH children is Natural, and so EXTREMELY VERY SIMPLE and EASY.

However, philosophy AMONG adults IS DIMINISHED, or WAS LOST, SO MUCH, which is WHY 'you', adult, human beings, have been ARGUING, DISAGREEING, BICKERING, and QUARRELING with "EACH OTHER" for millennia now WITHOUT ANY real progress AT ALL.
That's not true.

Philosophers in history build off of each other's progress, sometimes. It is rare though.
So, ENLIGHTEN 'us' to 'what', EXACTLY, these so-called "philosophers" have ACTUALLY REALLY ACHIEVED in the last few millennia, from when this is being written?

In other words, 'WHAT' 'real progress' has been ACHIEVED here by so-called "philosophers"?

Post by Age »

Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:48 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:06 amYes, I've noticed your habit of interpreting conveniently.
Recognizing hypnotic techniques and having a sense of humor are part of being literate.
What's the difference between hypnosis and persuasion?

If you are forced to actually listen to what somebody says, are you then hypnotized?

What are the motives for wanting to listen to somebody? For me, it's curiosity. I'm actually interested in how people think and how they rationalize the world.
How about 'you' become interested and curious about HOW 'you', "your" 'self', are so-called 'rationalizing the world'?

Obviously, 'you' are NOT doing a VERY GOOD job of it.
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:48 am Most others, don't seem to have this curiosity. Most of humanity are thoroughly disinterested in other peoples' minds.
Here is a PRIME example of NOT doing a VERY GOOD job AT ALL.

There are NO such 'things' as so-called "people's minds", yet here 'you' are 'rationalizing' that THERE IS.

So, how about 'you' become INTERESTED and CURIOS about HOW 'you' have 'rationalized' this Falsehood?
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:48 am They have their own, selfish mental obsessions: Neuroticism/Solipsism.
But 'you' NEVER DO do 'you' "wizard22"?
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:48 am This is why some people cannot communicate well.
Have a LOOK AT the replies 'you' receive. How well do 'you' ENVISION 'you' are communicating here?
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:48 am They have their own Monologue clogging-up their reception, unable to listen or read what another says, Close-minded.
As I have ALREADY SHOWN and PROVED 'you' to be DOING.
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:48 am Why do most people 'shut off' their mental Receptors?
FIND OUT WHY 'you' ARE DOING 'this' "your" 'self', then besides LEARNING how to NOT do 'it' ANYMORE 'you' WILL ALSO LEARN WHY EVERY "other" one of 'you' adult human beings doing 'this' AS WELL.
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:48 am I presume, because most people are traumatized at a young age about the Depth of the world, reality, and existence. It's too much. So people develop catharses, habitual methods of soothing or suppressing cognitive dissonance.
Is that WHY 'you' DO 'it'?
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:48 am Escapism into fantasy and fiction, "inner-reality", might be the most common method. This is enhanced by Postmodern propagation and indoctrination throughout Western schooling. Children and teenagers are literally trained, not to be "racist" or "sexist" or "bigoted".
YET EVERY one of 'you', adult human beings, in the days when this is being written, IS 'racist', 'sexist', and/or 'bigoted'. So, GO FIGURE.
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:48 am Why all the training, except to suppress a natural compulsion?
What have 'you' 'rationalized', of 'the world', TO BE the so-called 'natural compulsion' of the 'human being', EXACTLY?

AND, could 'your' 'rationalization' just be 'your' OWN self-made monologue, clogging 'things' up here?

Or, could 'this' NEVER possibly happen TO 'you'?
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:48 am Why force minds to be opened or closed, except to propagate a program in the populace?
LOL HOW could one 'force' the 'Mind' to be OPEN?

Post by Age »

Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:01 am
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:50 amYou do not even understand the meaning of the word Illiteracy.
Pretty sure you can't repeat what I've said, nor do you understand it.
I have ALREADY SHOWN, and PROVEN, that 'you', "wizard", could NOT even repeat what I SAID, and UNDERSTAND 'it'.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:25 am Of course the three main culprits feel compelled to chime in, how ironic:
Harbal wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:10 pmI think most of us understand you; that's how we know you're an idiot.
FlashDangerpants wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:24 pmYou write some of the absolutely dumbest shit I have ever seen. Sad to relate, that appears to be your primary skill.
Sculptor wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 2:41 pmThere is something of a problem in the USA.
But generally, literacy rates are high.
If you want to start threads of this kind you should really present evidence first.
No one gives a fuck about "have you noticed?"

Exactly like most of your posts, this thread is meritless.
There is some detectable drag on literacy due to the pandemic. But unless you are a teacher you will not have "noticed" that.
But even including that, all Western countries' rates are in the top 10% percentile.
No, all a person needs to do is skim this forum, and there are overwhelming examples of philosophical hobbyists talking past each-other. This demonstrates Illiteracy. You are often guilty of it too. You fail to understand 1) what is being said and 2) the intent of the author. This is because you're not serious about Philosophy.
You apparently rant more or less at random, yet somehow tend to start threads which are almost clinically designed to make us laugh at you, it's hard to guage what degree of chance can explain such an effect for it's hard to suppose it is the outcome you desire. For example you did an IQ thread recently and were quite clearly the least intelligent person to write a post within it.

Now you are talking about illiteracy and philosophy, but you haven't read any philosophy books, and if you tried to change that, you wouldn't be smart enough to understand them. You sabotage yourself with this nonsense.

Post by Age »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:56 am
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:48 am What's the difference between hypnosis and persuasion?
Depends on the context. Here playful polemics.
If you are forced to actually listen to what somebody says, are you then hypnotized?
Guns work well. Not hypnosis. And anyway, people generally listen.

With hypnosis, you say things they don't notice consciously, but their bodies and desires notice.
Not really, people have short attention spans and lack of patience, especially in USA. Philosophy is a different group, that requires concentration on complex ideas.
LOL 'you' could NOT even 'concentrate' on just ONE VERY SIMPLE and EASY idea. Which I brought forward here to PROVE that 'you' DO, EXACTLY, what 'you' are JUDGING "others" ON and ACCUSING them OF here.
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:08 am Therefore, the attention and patience demands are very high by comparison. I can tell immediately, on this forum, which Users are trained philosophically and which are not by virtue of these requirements.
REALLY?

If this was even remotely true, then you would NOT be AFRAID to list the "users" now.

But, unfortunately, for you, because you are now VERY AFRAID you will NOT list ANY one.

As you WILL PROVE my CLAIM here True.
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:08 am You don't need to agree with your opposition, in order to understand them.
I do NOT think ANY one in this forum even thought they did. So, WHY did you come to 'this INTERPRETATION'?

It is like you can NOT 'read' NOR 'understand' what "others" think AND say here.

Now, if ANY one DID think that one NEEDED to 'agree' WITH "another's" view to UNDERSTAND 'them', then PLEASE let us KNOW here now.

Until then I would just say that "wizard22's" INTERPRETATION here is just ANOTHER Wrong AND Incorrect one.
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:08 am This is a higher cognitive function—most people seek-out narratives which favor their subconscious biases.
As you have ALREADY 'un/wittingly' PROVED TRUE for us above here.
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:08 am This is how the masses become hooked on Consumerism and addicted to News Media propagandist pundits. The masses are 'engineered' to do so.
WHEN were the 'masses' so-called 'engineered' to do 'this'? And, WHY were NOT ALL, and ONLY SOME?

Or, are 'you' SAYING that 'you' ALSO are just 'one of the mass'?
What are the motives for wanting to listen to somebody? For me, it's curiosity. I'm actually interested in how people think and how they rationalize the world. Most others, don't seem to have this curiosity.
I think other people are generally less curious than me.
Most of humanity are thoroughly disinterested in other peoples' minds.
I don't think that's true, though I suppose it depends on what you mean.
They have their own, selfish mental obsessions: Neuroticism/Solipsism. This is why some people cannot communicate well. They have their own Monologue clogging-up their reception, unable to listen or read what another says, Close-minded.
Sure.
Why do most people 'shut off' their mental Receptors? I presume, because most people are traumatized at a young age about the Depth of the world, reality, and existence.
Could be. Or they go with the flow for a variety of reasons.
Yes, people tend to follow the crowd and what is recognized as Popular, hence the root concept: Populace.
Which you have CLEARLY SHOWED to be DOING here.
It's too much. So people develop catharses, habitual methods of soothing or suppressing cognitive dissonance. Escapism into fantasy and fiction, "inner-reality", might be the most common method. This is enhanced by Postmodern propagation and indoctrination throughout Western schooling
Well sure. But then I'm old enough to have gotten the conservative pedagogy and I can tell you that was absolutely deadening. Lots of bs and blind spots. Sit in rows, don't be creative, don't ask challengeing questions, regurgitate what we tell you.

I gotta say the short memories of conservatives about when they had control of political and pedagogical correctness must be a kind of bliss.

Children and teenagers are literally trained, not to be "racist" or "sexist" or "bigoted". Why all the training, except to suppress a natural compulsion? Why force minds to be opened or closed, except to propagate a program in the populace?
Yeah, conservatives are all into natural compulsions.
I much prefer the Conservative cultural dominion of the 1990s USA to the Liberal cultural dominion of 2012-onward.
AGAIN, ANOTHER PRIME example of FOLLOWING 'the masses'.
Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:08 am Liberals are more censorious and anti-intellectual than I ever imagined Conservatives could be.
Okay, but SO WHAT?

This just seems to be ANOTHER one of 'the mass' perspectives.

Post by Age »

Do you think or BELIEVE that you understand EVERY 'thing' that you read?
FLORIDA today

Next it will be you.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:02 pm
Thank you for proving my point. Idiot! :|
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:43 pm
:D :D :D
You could not make this up!!
Still its nice to have a laff now and then.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:14 pm
Still its nice to have a laff now and then.
Whatever he talks about, he does it with a complete lack of understanding, yet he thinks he's smart. :?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Harbal wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:37 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:14 pm

Still it's nice to have a laff now and then.
Whatever he talks about, he does it with a complete lack of understanding, yet he thinks he's smart. :?
This is the idiot's paradox.
A person has to have, at least, the minimum intelligence to know that he is stupid!
:D
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Wizard22 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:08 am I much prefer the Conservative cultural dominion of the 1990s USA to the Liberal cultural dominion of 2012-onward.

We knew that already. It was clear if implicit, here at least. Explicit in other posts/threads. But instead of responding to what I wrote on conservative pedagogy, you just repeat your position and dislike of Liberals.

To me this is an example of someone who might as well not be listening. Perhaps you read what I wrote. Perhaps not. I don't know. But you opted to 'respond' in a ways that shows it didn't matter what I wrote in a faux response.