Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

phyllo

Re: Christianity

Post by phyllo »

He asked about Christianity and gun control.
bahman

Post by bahman »

phyllo wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:44 pm
bahman wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:26 pm Lol. How did the topic of Christianity change to gun control?
Who said anything about gun control?
I read this through the discussion of DAM and Henry.
phyllo wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:44 pm Does a Christian shoot a guy who is on his lawn?
Christian shot Muslims otherwise there was no Christianity anymore. That is against their teaching.
phyllo wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:44 pm Does A Christian shoot a guy who is taking his stuff?
Apparently yes. Islam is the last true religion. Earth is the land of God. Muslims were trying to take it.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

phyllo wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:52 pm He asked about Christianity and gun control.
My mistake, then.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

bahman wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:56 pm
bahman wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:26 pm Lol. How did the topic of Christianity change to gun control?
I read this through the discussion of DAM and Henry.
phyllo wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:44 pm Does a Christian shoot a guy who is on his lawn?
Christian shot Muslims otherwise there was no Christianity anymore. That is against their teaching.
phyllo wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:44 pm Does A Christian shoot a guy who is taking his stuff?
Apparently yes. Islam is the last true religion. Earth is the land of God. Muslims were trying to take it.
Given what Jesus said about enemies and possessions, that does not appear to be correct.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Sigh...

Just a reminder to the Christians here that, if they are willing, I'd appreciate them bringing their God to a discussion that revolves existentially around these factors:

1] a demonstrable proof of the existence of your God
2] addressing the fact that down through the ages hundreds of Gods and religious/spiritual paths to immortality and salvation were/are championed...but only one of which [if any] can be the true path. So why yours?
3] addressing the profoundly problematic role that dasein plays in any particular individual's belief in God
4] the questions that revolve around theodicy and your own particular God

You know, this being a philosophy forum.

No pinheads please. 8)
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:47 pm

Does a Christian shoot a guy who is on his lawn?

Does A Christian shoot a guy who is taking his stuff?
I'm not Christian.
Delusional
vegetariantaxidermy

Studies show that you are far more likely to be shot to death if you have a gun in the house than if you don't. Oh gee. It must have been REALLY difficult for them to work that one out. A gun is no use whatsoever for defending yourself in the home--quite the opposite. And if, on the tiny chance that someone breaks in while you are in the house, the only way a gun could possibly be of any use is if the intruder is unarmed, or if you have a gun on your person at all times (insanely dangerous in itself) or the intruder twiddles his thumbs while you go and get it, and then places himself in a conveniently vulnerable position...
vegetariantaxidermy

henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:05 pm
The obvious reasoning is that people are a constant threat to you and you need to defend yourself.
You're a city dweller, yeah?

Me, in the country, I use my shotgun to hunt. Never actually shot a man with it. Did use it to defend myself in a break-in (didn't fire it: just pointed the business end at the uninvited visitors).

So, no, that reasonin' ain't obvious at all ('cept, mebbe, to a city dweller).

-----
if i snuck up on Henry's property and tried to steal a lawn chair, he'd probably run out onto the front porch in a bathrobe with his shotgun and shoot me. not because he cares about the lawn chair but because he needs and wants a reason to shoot a muthafucka.
I'd only shoot you if you didn't leave, empty-handed, when I say get offa my lawn!

Like with the break-in: I wouldn't fire it, I'd just point it. You, bein' bright, I'm sure you'd get the message and leave. And the plus for you: I won't even call the cops. What would be the point? I keep my lawn chair; you keep your sorry keister: it's all good.
Is your name Jed Clampett? You have a lie for every occasion :lol:
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

iambiguous wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:28 pm Sigh...

Just a reminder to the Christians here that, if they are willing, I'd appreciate them bringing their God to a discussion that revolves existentially around these factors:

The Christian God was described by Plotinus as the ineffable "ONE. It is known by the experience of dunamis. A person feels dunamis. They feel the quality of consciousness that produces Plato's forms and the ultimate source. It attracts those in need of meaning rather then morality.

https://iep.utm.edu/plotinus/

The ‘concept’ of the One is not, properly speaking, a concept at all, since it is never explicitly defined by Plotinus, yet it is nevertheless the foundation and grandest expression of his philosophy. Plotinus does make it clear that no words can do justice to the power of the One; even the name, ‘the One,’ is inadequate, for naming already implies discursive knowledge, and since discursive knowledge divides or separates its objects in order to make them intelligible, the One cannot be known through the process of discursive reasoning (Ennead VI.9.4). Knowledge of the One is achieved through the experience of its ‘power’ (dunamis) and its nature, which is to provide a ‘foundation’ (arkhe) and location (topos) for all existents (VI.9.6). The ‘power’ of the One is not a power in the sense of physical or even mental action; the power of the One, as Plotinus speaks of it, is to be understood as the only adequate description of the ‘manifestation’ of a supreme principle that, by its very nature, transcends all predication and discursive understanding. This ‘power,’ then, is capable of being experienced, or known, only through contemplation (theoria), or the purely intellectual ‘vision’ of the source of all things...........................

2] addressing the fact that down through the ages hundreds of Gods and religious/spiritual paths to immortality and salvation were/are championed...but only one of which [if any] can be the true path. So why yours?

Because it reveals the inner path to conscious evolution rather then earthly morality which seems to be the goal of earthly Gods.

3] addressing the profoundly problematic role that dasein plays in any particular individual's belief in God?

Dasein as I understand it, is what we are, our primal essence, our being. It cannot be confused with acquired concepts of I or how we see ourselves. Christianity, not Christendom, encourages us to experience our nothingness or false sense of I to experience ourselves and our conscious potential

Evil for me is defined by that quality which prevents conscious evolution. For this we need the help of the Spirit to become free of imagination which keeps us prisoners in Plato's Cave.

No pinheads please. 8)
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"a demonstrable proof of the existence of your God"

well first we need demonstrable proof that demonstrable proof is needed for 'god' to exist. for the existence of a 'god' and a proof of that fact are two different things, gentlemen.

the onus is upon iambiguous to provide demonstrable proof that demonstrable proof is needed to confirm the existence of a 'god'.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

3] addressing the profoundly problematic role that dasein plays in any particular individual's belief in God

No pinheads please. 8)
How many times does one that actually knows God exists have to address the above for you to STFU?

1] to a demonstrable proof of the existence your God or religious/spiritual path

Simulation or Divine Reality - evidence of God\'God' proof BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33214

2] addressing the fact that down through the ages hundreds of Gods and religious/spiritual paths to immortality and salvation were/are
championed...but only one of which [if any] can be the true path. So why yours?

To know God is via Christ - a bloke that went to his death stating he is the path - seems a likely place to start.
In the past 2000 years at some point in ones past life one would have had the chance to discover God via the one man worth.Y of the path.
Clearly most saw no worth in Christ and reincarnated according to their beliefs. Many these days reincarnate into atheist upbringing - it's just a choice one makes in ones current life. Clearly many people are not TRULY interested in the love of wisdom.

3] addressing the profoundly problematic role that dasein plays in any particular individual's belief in Gods and religious/spiritual faiths

Already addressed above.

4] the questions that revolve around theodicy and your own particular God or religious/spiritual path

Wo/men can be evil. God can also be evil, where required. Per my experience of this entity - it is very hard to <Live> when God does <eviL> to you.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

No pinheads please. 8)
attofishpi wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:23 amHow many times does one that actually knows God exists have to address the above for you to STFU?

1] to a demonstrable proof of the existence your God or religious/spiritual path

Simulation or Divine Reality - evidence of God\'God' proof BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT.

2] addressing the fact that down through the ages hundreds of Gods and religious/spiritual paths to immortality and salvation were/are

To know God is via Christ - a bloke that went to his death stating he is the path - seems a likely place to start.
In the past 2000 years at some point in ones past life one would have had the chance to discover God via the one man worth.Y of the path.
Clearly most saw no worth in Christ and reincarnated according to their beliefs. Many these days reincarnate into atheist upbringing - it's just a choice one makes in ones current life. Clearly many people are not TRULY interested in the love of wisdom.

3] addressing the profoundly problematic role that dasein plays in any particular individual's belief in Gods and religious/spiritual faiths

Already addressed above.

4] the questions that revolve around theodicy and your own particular God or religious/spiritual path

Wo/men can be evil. God can also be evil, where required. Per my experience of this entity - it is very hard to <Live> when God does <eviL> to you.
But I repeat myself...
Unbelievable.

This sort of ridiculous "assessment" is basically what one comes to expect now over at the New ILP. But it still boggles my mind to find it in a forum that is derived from Philosophy Now magazine.

This is the sort of "argument" one would expect to come upon in church or around the family dinner table at, say, the Mike Pence or the Amy Coney Barrett household.

But here?!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:33 am

No pinheads please. 8)
attofishpi wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:23 amHow many times does one that actually knows God exists have to address the above for you to STFU?

Already addressed above.

But I repeat myself...
Unbelievable.

This sort of ridiculous "assessment" is basically what one comes to expect now over at the New ILP. But it still boggles my mind to find it in a forum that is derived from Philosophy Now magazine.

This is the sort of "argument" one would expect to come upon in church or around the family dinner table at, say, the Mike Pence or the Amy Coney Barrett household.

But here?!
Listen dipshit, enough with the ad hominem reply, address each point, let's see what you got.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

iambiguous wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:33 am

No pinheads please. 8)

Already addressed above.

Care to point out exactly what I am stating that reminds you of what I can only presume to be fundamentalist evangelist twaddle?

...or are you just gonna keep barking without a bite? Too scared to have your 4 points challenged by someone that CLEARLY is NOT a dumb arse fundamentalist evangelist!!!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Are there beliefs that are clearly not factual but which can used as if they were true?

I'm thinking of the following examples:

1. Private prayer to God, for instance. Rationally there is no receiver of the prayer, and the praying person is praying to himself. However when the subject successfully pretends to be praying to a person who knows everything there is to know, it facilitates the subject's introspection .

2.Existentialist responsibility for all one's actions is too like Free Will to be comfortable, and we prefer to believe in Dasein. However a believer in Dasein may ad hoc pretend that Free Will is true, in order to facilitate personal responsibility.

3. Eastern non-dualism which denies the existence of self is rational on the same way that absolute idealism is rational. However we must live as if we were selves free to act in a material world.