the limits of fascism

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: the limits of fascism

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:29 pm I have considered all sorts of possibilities, but I have to base them on the material you present.
That's hardly useful given the problem of underdetermination.
tillingborn wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:29 pm Where do you think the similarities between you and Immanuel Can stop?
There are similarities? You'd have to justify that claim...
tillingborn wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:29 pm As I have said, I am happy to be proven wrong. So show me that you are more than just a dick.
If you were charitable, I wouldn't have to.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:37 pm
tillingborn wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:29 pmI have considered all sorts of possibilities, but I have to base them on the material you present.
That's hardly useful given the problem of underdetermination.
The problem of underdetermination just means that there will always be alternative possibilities. Like every other sentient being that isn't hogtied by ideology, I make do with the possibility I'm aware of that I calculate works best for my current purpose. If there is a situation for which any particular possibility isn't useful, I'll look for another that is. As I understand, so would you.
Skepdick wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:37 pm
tillingborn wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:29 pmAs I have said, I am happy to be proven wrong. So show me that you are more than just a dick.
If you were charitable, I wouldn't have to.
How much charity do you want?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:29 pm The problem of underdetermination just means that there will always be alternative possibilities.
Nothing of that sort. The problem simply implies that anything you conclude/claim/believe or infer over and above that which was observed is an interpretation. Given any finite set of observations infinite interpretations are possible.

It just depends on how much of your own biases you project onto the situation.
tillingborn wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:29 pm Like every other sentient being that isn't hogtied by ideology, I make do with the possibility I'm aware of that I calculate works best for my current purpose.
Why do you make your pragmatism other people's problem? Also...
tillingborn wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:29 pm If there is a situation for which any particular possibility isn't useful, I'll look for another that is. As I understand, so would you.
You've never explicitly stated what "your purpose is", so you've left me guessing what your utility-function is.

Surely that's not something you want to leave to my interpretation? If we are talking cross-purpose we are probably wasting each other's time...
tillingborn wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:29 pm How much charity do you want?
Any charity would be a good start. Tell me about those "alternative possibilities" that you've dismissed. Start with those that paint me in a good light.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:35 pm
tillingborn wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:29 pmThe problem of underdetermination just means that there will always be alternative possibilities.
Nothing of that sort. The problem simply implies that anything you conclude/claim/believe or infer over and above that which was observed is an interpretation. Given any finite set of observations infinite interpretations are possible.
So exactly the same thing is "Nothing of the sort." I really can't be bothered to argue with someone who agrees with everything I say.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:43 pm So exactly the same thing is "Nothing of the sort." I really can't be bothered to argue with someone who agrees with everything I say.
Why do you keep framing everything as "arguments", "attacks", "conflict" and "agreement/disagreement"?

Are you actually capable of suspending judgment during a conversation? Are you capable of suspending judgment at all?

Perhaps the phenomenological practice of Epoché is something you don't know about?
Or at least, something you don't seem to know how to put to practice.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:48 pmWhy do you keep framing everything as "arguments", "attacks", "conflict" and "agreement/disagreement"?
Skepdick wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:12 pmI can't wipe my ass with your compliments, but I am busy wiping my ass with your ego.
Skepdick wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:48 pmAre you actually capable of suspending judgment during a conversation? Are you capable of suspending judgment at all?
tillingborn wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:38 pmAs I made clear, I am not certain what your words intend, so I remain agnostic. You are absolutely right that I will draw conclusions, simply to fit a developing narrative, but if I take a wrong turn, possibly because of my own biases/insecurities, I am happy to have them corrected. Show me why I am wrong, and I will thank you.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:25 am
Skepdick wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:48 pmWhy do you keep framing everything as "arguments", "attacks", "conflict" and "agreement/disagreement"?
Skepdick wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:12 pmI can't wipe my ass with your compliments, but I am busy wiping my ass with your ego.
Skepdick wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:48 pmAre you actually capable of suspending judgment during a conversation? Are you capable of suspending judgment at all?
tillingborn wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:38 pmAs I made clear, I am not certain what your words intend, so I remain agnostic. You are absolutely right that I will draw conclusions, simply to fit a developing narrative, but if I take a wrong turn, possibly because of my own biases/insecurities, I am happy to have them corrected. Show me why I am wrong, and I will thank you.
I guess you haven't joined the dots between ego, judgment and insecurities yet.

The very thing impairing your judgment.

It is precisely your ego that I am attacking. Not you.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:28 amI guess you haven't joined the dots between ego, judgment and insecurities yet.

The very thing impairing your judgment.
As I said, show me why I am wrong, and I will thank you.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:32 am As I said, show me why I am wrong, and I will thank you.
You are wrong because you keep framing everything as being "right" and "wrong".

There's nothing wrong with being wrong in the intellectual/factual/philosophical sense.

It's only moral wrongness that matters.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:33 am
tillingborn wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:32 amAs I said, show me why I am wrong, and I will thank you.
You are wrong because you keep framing everything as being "right" and "wrong".

There's nothing wrong with being wrong in the intellectual/factual/philosophical sense.
You are framing the intellectual/factual/philosophical sense as being "right" and "wrong".
Skepdick wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:33 amIt's only moral wrongness that matters.
So do you hope to correct my morals?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:40 am You are framing the intellectual/factual/philosophical sense as being "right" and "wrong".
I am not. I am rejecting the very notion of "being right" or "wrong" outside of moral discourse.
tillingborn wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:40 am So do you hope to correct my morals?
Not in the least bit. Just your default framing.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:46 am
tillingborn wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:40 am You are framing the intellectual/factual/philosophical sense as being "right" and "wrong".
I am not. I am rejecting the very notion of "being right" or "wrong" outside of moral discourse.
That's an aesthetic choice.
Skepdick wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:46 am
tillingborn wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:40 am So do you hope to correct my morals?
Not in the least bit. Just your default framing.
We've been conversing for a while now. What progress have you made?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:51 am That's an aesthetic choice.
That's one way to dismiss it.

None the less, you are equivocating "right" and "wrong".
tillingborn wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:51 am We've been conversing for a while now. What progress have you made?
Minimal. Largely due to your defensiveness/ego.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:54 am
tillingborn wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:51 am We've been conversing for a while now. What progress have you made?
Since your current tactics are impeded by my ego, why don't you try the direct approach and tell me exactly what my new 'default framing' should be?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=tillingborn post_id=503423 time=1616318943 user_id=7001]
[quote=Skepdick post_id=503421 time=1616316858 user_id=17350][quote=tillingborn post_id=503420 time=1616316669 user_id=7001]
We've been conversing for a while now. What progress have you made?
[/quote]
[/quote]
Since your current tactics are impeded by my ego, why don't you try the direct approach and tell me exactly what my new 'default framing' should be?
[/quote]

Nvm that person. All the answers are in here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... gq2BmR8qs/ and here tiny.cc/TheWholeStory