is/ought, final answer

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: is/ought, final answer

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:38 pm That's what we're referring to--necessary implication. If there's an exception, there's not a necessary implication.
We who?

How have "we" deduced that that implications OUGHT to be necessary?

Why can't implications be sufficient?
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:39 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:38 pm That's what we're referring to--necessary implication. If there's an exception, there's not a necessary implication.
We who?

How have "we" deduced that that implications OUGHT to be necessary?

Why can't implications be sufficient?
"We"--the statistically normal, conventional sense of "following." It's not a deduction. It's something we can be talking about versus something else we could be talking about. Necessary implication is what we're talking about in the conventional sense of "follow(ing)."

Why are we not talking about something else instead? Because that's not what we're talking about.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:43 pm "We"--the statistically normal, conventional sense of "following." It's not a deduction. It's something we can be talking about versus something else we could be talking about. Necessary implication is what we're talking about in the conventional sense of "follow(ing)."

Why are we not talking about something else instead? Because that's not what we're talking about.
In the conventional sense only scumbag more immoral than a pragmatist (such as myself) is an idealist (such as yourself).

Vaccines don't necessarily protect from COVID-19, but they sufficiently protect us from COVID-19.

Perfect is the enemy of good.
Last edited by Skepdick on Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Terrapin Station

Skepdick wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:47 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:43 pm "We"--the statistically normal, conventional sense of "following." It's not a deduction. It's something we can be talking about versus something else we could be talking about. Necessary implication is what we're talking about in the conventional sense of "follow(ing)."

In the conventional sense only scumbag more immoral than a pragmatist (such as myself) is an idealist (such as yourself).

Vaccines don't necessarily protect from COVID-19, but they sufficiently protect us from COVID-19.

Perfect is the enemy of good.
If only that helped an "ought" follow from an "is," you might finally be saying something on-topic.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:48 pm If only that helped an "ought" follow from an "is," you might finally be saying something on-topic.
It follows. We ought to vaccinate.

If you reject sufficiency due to lack of necessity you are immoral in book.
Terrapin Station

Skepdick wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:50 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:48 pm If only that helped an "ought" follow from an "is," you might finally be saying something on-topic.
It's not a necessary implication. So no, not on the standard sense of "follow."
Cool story, bro.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:51 pm
Cool story, bro.
In the standard sense of "moral" you are immoral.

But there's no rock bottom more precious than the rock bottom where Philosophers decide to defend semantics over human well-being.
Terrapin Station

Skepdick wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:52 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:51 pm
Cool story, bro.
In the standard sense of "moral" you are immoral.

But there's no rock bottom more precious where Philosophers decide to defend semantics than human well-being.
In many opinions I have many views that are immoral, sure. What about it?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:53 pm In many opinions I have many views that are immoral, sure. What about it?
Nothing about it.

Reification doesn't happen with debate. It happens through force.

Debate is just the pretence that you are being given a choice.
Terrapin Station

Skepdick wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:54 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:53 pm In many opinions I have many views that are immoral, sure. What about it?
Nothing about it.

Reification doesn't happen with debate. It happens through force.

Debate is just the pretense that you are being given a choice.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:20 pm Ok, and why do you think it is that people who want to define moral fact would want to remove that contingent quality by deriving the ought directly from a fact rather than from a value?
Because they want to abdicate their free will.

If facts could decide morality for us, then we won't have to.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:42 pm I'm not ignoring that. I'm simply saying that none of our dispositions along those lines are logically implied.
On par with abdicating your free will to logic, you are anthropomorphising logic.

The rules of logic are man-made.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Skepdick post_id=498720 time=1614121702 user_id=17350]
[quote="Terrapin Station" post_id=498674 time=1614109338 user_id=12582]
I'm not ignoring that. I'm simply saying that none of our dispositions along those lines are [i]logically[/i] implied.
[/quote]
On par with abdicating your free will to logic, you are anthropomorphising logic.

[/quote]

The rules of logic are descriptive of our experience of relationships that hold true 100% of the time. Would you like greater than 100% certainty for some reason?

Logic Describes the absoluteness of certain bits of reality
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:13 am The rules of logic are descriptive of our experience of relationships that hold true 100% of the time.
No, they aren't. They are descriptive of the relations that are interesting to us.

Deductive logic promises 100% certainty, but that's only true within the domain of the deductive system.
Advocate wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:13 am Logic Describes the absoluteness of certain bits of reality
The world of logic is NOT the real world. Only idiots confuse the two.

Logic is an epistemic instrument. It's imperfect, but that's all the hairless ape has for navigating the infinite complexity of reality.
Terrapin Station

Skepdick wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:08 am
Terrapin Station wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:42 pm I'm not ignoring that. I'm simply saying that none of our dispositions along those lines are logically implied.

Then you can't very well claim that it's a person-independent fact that any "is" implies any "ought." Which is all I care about here--to dispel that myth.