Light the Lanterns (mysterious song)

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Maia

Light the Lanterns (mysterious song)

Post by Maia »

A nice song, but what's particularly interesting about it is that no one knows who wrote it or sang it. It was apparently found on an old cassette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Sm64ySv0A

More about it here.

https://lostwaves-finest.fandom.com/wik ... e_Lanterns
Wizard22

Re: Light the Lanterns (mysterious song)

Post by Wizard22 »

It makes you wonder about all the unique music created in the world that doesn't see the light of day:

Thrift store-found VHS tape with weird music on it (archived from a deleted channel)

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54YgGYE6DUA)
Maia

Post by Maia »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:02 am It makes you wonder about all the unique music created in the world that doesn't see the light of day:

Thrift store-found VHS tape with weird music on it (archived from a deleted channel)

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54YgGYE6DUA)
There's something sad and melancholy about it.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Maia wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:06 amThere's something sad and melancholy about it.
There's some decent tracks mixed throughout, just thought it's weird to find mixed music unheard of in random places.

The song you posted in OP sound like something from the 70's California Hippie era.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Wizard22 wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:34 am
Maia wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:06 amThere's something sad and melancholy about it.
There's some decent tracks mixed throughout, just thought it's weird to find mixed music unheard of in random places.

The song you posted in OP sound like something from the 70's California Hippie era.
Yes, it's folk rock, or something similar, anyway.
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

LIGHT THE LANTERNS - MYSTERIOUS SONG - UNKNOWN ARTIST

LYRICS:

She was born on a magic island, there's a certain mythology.
I was already on the outside, I wanted to be what I wanted to be.
She took me to illumination night to pass on a legacy.

Crazy ladies in gingerbread houses, light the lanterns for the shipwreck sailors.
Celebrate the homecoming, celebrate the moment when the will to live collides with love.
Light the lanterns everyone and pray that the rain won't come.

She left me with grace the next year, she went away, I don't know where.
Grace got drunk at a Chinese restaurant, so all I saw was the light's extinguishing.
But I'm going back on illumination night, to see if I can light the lights.

Crazy ladies in gingerbread houses, light the lanterns for the shipwreck sailors.
Celebrate the homecoming, celebrate the moment when the will to live collides with love.

Constantine

Post by Constantine »

She is a lesbian. And she isn't from Martha's Vinyard. Neither is the woman in one of the gingerbread houses lighting the lanterns for sailors. I don't think it ever had a Chinese Restaurant. So mainland people, same location.
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

I won't do a search for 1980s artists in Boston, Massacheuttes. She's 80-90 now.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Constantine wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:05 am I won't do a search for 1980s artists in Boston, Massacheuttes. She's 80-90 now.
I don't think she's American, and is putting on an accent. But perhaps an American might have a better ear for that.
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

I don't do accents, my ear isn't that advanced.

I just looked it up, there is a cheap Chinese restaurant accepting cash in martha's vinyard in Edgar Town. I guess for the workers and cheap tourists.

The entire island is dedicated to rich people on their vacation. CEOs. You'll not find alot of cheap stuff, but you will find live in maids. I figured they just boat out on days off to shop.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Constantine wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:17 am I don't do accents, my ear isn't that advanced.

I just looked it up, there is a cheap Chinese restaurant accepting cash in martha's vinyard in Edgar Town. I guess for the workers and cheap tourists.

The entire island is dedicated to rich people on their vacation. CEOs. You'll not find alot of cheap stuff, but you will find live in maids. I figured they just boat out on days off to shop.
I've heard of it, but I don't know much about it, to be honest.

Maybe it's just because its origins are unknown, but the song has a haunting sort of quality.
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

I just heard lesbian yearnings. Heard a few songs like this in San Francisco and once in Alaska. The Alaskan woman trained the singer Jewel, so wasn't a Duke, but the San Francisco ones.... yep.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Constantine wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:34 am I just heard lesbian yearnings. Heard a few songs like this in San Francisco and once in Alaska. The Alaskan woman trained the singer Jewel, so wasn't a Duke, but the San Francisco ones.... yep.
It could be, I suppose. It's certainly one possible interpretation. But it all seems strangely specific.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

I have lots of random unpopular songs on a playlist that are relatively unknown, some really good stuff that never became popular:

UTOPILO ╺╸ Constantine

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXalWFFlNl8)
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

Why is everyone on this forum so dark in their music choices?

I used to play this song for my old cat. Couldn't find another record by them:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CSrZwi-ru ... rt_radio=1