The Fantasy of Conscious Machines

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

The Fantasy of Conscious Machines

Post by Philosophy Now »

Raymond Tallis says talk of ‘artificial intelligence’ is neither intelligent nor indeed, intelligible.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/152/The_Fantasy_of_Conscious_Machines
attofishpi

Re: The Fantasy of Conscious Machines

Post by attofishpi »

Philosophy Now wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:33 pm Raymond Tallis says talk of ‘artificial intelligence’ is neither intelligent nor indeed, intelligible.

https://philosophynow.org/issues/152/Th ... s_Machines
It used to make me laugh inside, and then eventually I would sigh (due to the sheer numbers of clients that would utter the words) when I was providing tech support over the phone and they must have been looking at the hourglass on their screen and they would state "it's thinking".

I've only read the opening few paragraphs thus far of the above article and am looking forward to reading the rest once the football is finished, but yeah I was surprised at not only the google engineers apparent lack of insight on the matter of sentience but also the clowns that followed spreading the idea of such nonsense.

Raymond if you are reading this, would you like to discuss your latest book: Freedom: An Impossible Reality? :?:
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Bloody good article that I can't fault, although hard to get head around what our language binds us by, memory and that calculators don't calculate. :)
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Thought experiment; what if a synthetic replication of organic genetic material systems and processes (like DNA coding, proteins, amino acids, cells, molecules ... tissue building material) could be created with nanotech, I dunno... and a human being could be born of such material.

what would u call it? a person or a machine? tis a good ontological question. is it the process the organic brain creates that is unique to being conscious, or is it the stuff it is made of that's unique to being conscious?

gotta be one or the other. here's how it works out. if it's the stuff that the brain is made of, consciousness is a special emergent property that, mysteriously, only happens if the brain is composed of natural proteins and stuff rather than synthetic ones... even though the syntheyic ones are structured and function, operate, just like the organic ones. it'd be mysterious and inexplicable.... some magic alchemy metaphysical shit would be going on... becuz if form and function is the same - organic compounds and identical synthetic compounds - then product should be the same.

but siriusly, what would you call it? you could even plant the synthetic cellular embryo pack (SCEP) in a female's womb so that it's born naturally. but the kid would be totally made of super-advanced sythentic substances. not a real 'human' cell in his body.

Discuss.

Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

I'm afraid we h. sapiens haven't understood ourselves all that well, oui mes amies?