Wedding.

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Wedding.

Post by thedoc »

My younger daughter is getting married again on Sat. and I'm supposed to give a little speech for the reception. She has already told me what I'm not allowed to talk about, but I have a little surprise for her. I'll let you know how it turns out on Sun.
vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Wedding.

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I hope the weather's nice for her.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I hope the weather's nice for her.
It's an outside service, and so far the weather is supposed to be sunny and clear, and about 79 degrees.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

thedoc wrote:My younger daughter is getting married again on Sat. and I'm supposed to give a little speech for the reception. She has already told me what I'm not allowed to talk about, but I have a little surprise for her. I'll let you know how it turns out on Sun.
Well you missed Sunday! Were you feeling a tad groggy and unable to post? :)

How did the speech and surprise go doc?

Ive just been asked to be the best man at a mates wedding in Jan 17 - have started preparing my speech already!
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

attofishpi wrote:
thedoc wrote:My younger daughter is getting married again on Sat. and I'm supposed to give a little speech for the reception. She has already told me what I'm not allowed to talk about, but I have a little surprise for her. I'll let you know how it turns out on Sun.

Ive just been asked to be the best man at a mates wedding in Jan 17 - have started preparing my speech already!
"I started out by commenting that after all these years (29) she should know better than to put a live mike in my hands.

Then I gave my new son-in-law some advice. My daughters birthday is on Dec. 22 and she has complained that her Birthday and Christmas gifts get pushed together and she feels cheated. So I told him to buy a gift that is in parts and give her half for her birthday and the other half for Christmas.

I clued the DJ by saying that "I really don't have anything to say" Then my wife and I sang an abbreviated version of "Endless Love" for them, I also had to drop it 3 1/2 steps so that we could reach the notes, I'm a bass and my wife is an alto. We got applause and several complements on the singing, and my daughter said that it was a complete surprise.

Finally I told him that the other advice was a joke and here is some real advice, always remember the date, Sept 3rd.

My wife had a few words after that."

Actually I looked in on this forum both Sun. and Mon. but didn't have anything to add to what everyone else was posting, so I didn't log in. Good luck with your speech, my daughter had several subjects that I wasn't allowed to talk about, basically her first marriage and her new husband, and I wasn't supposed to embarrass her. That didn't leave much to talk about, so my wife and I did the song, which was on the "play list" for the music before the wedding, but I talked to the girl doing the music and the DJ and told them not to play that song. I also provided recordings of me playing 2 pieces that my daughter had requested for the "play list", Moonlight Sonata and Clair de Lune, which were played before and after the wedding, and everyone thought they were just recorded off the internet. I actually had to tell people that it was a recording of me playing on my piano.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

thedoc wrote:
attofishpi wrote:

"I started out by commenting that after all these years (29) she should know better than to put a live mike in my hands.
Was his name mike? Did you throttle him? :D
thedoc wrote:Then I gave my new son-in-law some advice. My daughters birthday is on Dec. 22 and she has complained that her Birthday and Christmas gifts get pushed together and she feels cheated. So I told him to buy a gift that is in parts and give her half for her birthday and the other half for Christmas.

I clued the DJ by saying that "I really don't have anything to say" Then my wife and I sang an abbreviated version of "Endless Love" for them, I also had to drop it 3 1/2 steps so that we could reach the notes, I'm a bass and my wife is an alto. We got applause and several complements on the singing, and my daughter said that it was a complete surprise.

Finally I told him that the other advice was a joke and here is some real advice, always remember the date, Sept 3rd.

My wife had a few words after that."

Actually I looked in on this forum both Sun. and Mon. but didn't have anything to add to what everyone else was posting, so I didn't log in. Good luck with your speech, my daughter had several subjects that I wasn't allowed to talk about, basically her first marriage and her new husband, and I wasn't supposed to embarrass her. That didn't leave much to talk about, so my wife and I did the song, which was on the "play list" for the music before the wedding, but I talked to the girl doing the music and the DJ and told them not to play that song. I also provided recordings of me playing 2 pieces that my daughter had requested for the "play list", Moonlight Sonata and Clair de Lune, which were played before and after the wedding, and everyone thought they were just recorded off the internet. I actually had to tell people that it was a recording of me playing on my piano.
Lovely mate..a man of many talents and fine wit! When it comes to keyboards I can barely play a qwerty..
Listening to Clair de Lune - wow!
I know i will have to reign it in as best man - though there's not much to reign in since i knew him when we were very young growing up in England and then i moved to Oz at 14. He now lives in Melbourne moved here a few years ago so we missed most of the crazy times of adolescence together, thankfully.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

I hope you understand that I meant a microphone.

Try to find Clair de Lune played by Claudio Arrau, he takes 7 minutes to play it, which is about 1.5 minutes longer than most other pianists. I started listening to that version, and decided that I could play it that way as well. My daughter heard it played in one of the "Twilight" movies, and asked me to play it for her, that's when I decided to put in the effort to learn it. I don't play it quite as slowly as Claudio, I take a little over 6 minutes.

I've also come to the conclusion that the first movement of Moonlight Sonata doesn't represent Moonlight, but a thunder storm with rain on the roof. So that is how I play it now, a little faster and louder than you usually hear on the internet. FYI, Beethoven never wrote a "Moonlight Sonata", that title wasn't applied till 4 years after Beethoven had died, he wrote a "Sonata quasi una Fantasia" (Sonata in the form of a Fantasy). The 2nd movement reminds me of kids playing on the wet grass, and the 3rd movement is "All Hell Breaking Loose". I don't play the 3rd movement.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

thedoc wrote:I hope you understand that I meant a microphone.
Yes, i was avin a laff!
thedoc wrote:Try to find Clair de Lune played by Claudio Arrau, he takes 7 minutes to play it, which is about 1.5 minutes longer than most other pianists. I started listening to that version, and decided that I could play it that way as well. My daughter heard it played in one of the "Twilight" movies, and asked me to play it for her, that's when I decided to put in the effort to learn it. I don't play it quite as slowly as Claudio, I take a little over 6 minutes.
Sure will have a hunt for it tomorrow - i believe its the tune that plays in the background occasionally on a very scary PC game i was playing a couple of years ago - or at least a section is.
thedoc wrote:I've also come to the conclusion that the first movement of Moonlight Sonata doesn't represent Moonlight, but a thunder storm with rain on the roof. So that is how I play it now, a little faster and louder than you usually hear on the internet. FYI, Beethoven never wrote a "Moonlight Sonata", that title wasn't applied till 4 years after Beethoven had died, he wrote a "Sonata quasi una Fantasia" (Sonata in the form of a Fantasy). The 2nd movement reminds me of kids playing on the wet grass, and the 3rd movement is "All Hell Breaking Loose". I don't play the 3rd movement.
Kewl - i'll see if i can note the different sections with what you stated - gonna have to kip soon - lovely day tomorrow for a motorbike ride in the hills.
vegetariantaxidermy

The Moonlight Sonata should certainly not be any louder of faster than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXjhc8EbY4I

Beethoven was quite clear on the dynamics.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:The Moonlight Sonata should certainly not be any louder of faster than this:

Wow a young Danny Boy!
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:The Moonlight Sonata should certainly not be any louder of faster than this:

Beethoven? or those who were influenced by Ludwig Rellstab's comments. Play the piece for several years and then talk to me.

I play it about 90, which is well within Beethoven's recommendations. Barenboim was much too slow and soft, apparently he was trying to make too much contrast with the next 2 movements.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote:

Beethoven? or those who were influenced by Ludwig Rellstab's comments. Play the piece for several years and then talk to me.

I play it about 90, which is well within Beethoven's recommendations. Barenboim was much too slow and soft, apparently he was trying to make too much contrast with the next 2 movements.
Actually I played it when I was eleven, and not just the first movement.

'90, and loud.' That must be a joy listen to. About as tasteful as Richard Clayderman.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Actually I played it when I was eleven, and not just the first movement.

'90, and loud.' That must be a joy listen to. About as tasteful as Richard Clayderman.
I didn't say "loud" I said louder than you usually hear on the internet, which is usually very soft, so just about anything could be louder.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Actually I played it when I was eleven, and not just the first movement.
My grandson is learning the guitar, and played "Ode to Joy" for my daughter's wedding, I doubt that he really understood the music more than to just play the notes. I learned the first movement of the "Moonlight Sonata" about when I turned 16 and have been playing it ever since for over 40 years. After that length of time you internalize the music, and learn to feel what the music is trying to say to you.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: About as tasteful as Richard Clayderman.
Are you saying you don't like Richard Clayderman?