Hyphens: the importance of

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

marjoram_blues

Hyphens: the importance of

Post by marjoram_blues »

Well, what a difference a hyphen makes.

Try searching through the PN magazine for 'hardwired' ( 5 results) and 'hard-wired' (12) and not even an overlap between the articles ( as far as my quick skip through could tell).

I wonder if this difference is problematic at a higher academic level- or even at a general level of understanding meaning...

To hyphen, or not-to-hyphen...
Walker

Re: Hyphens: the importance of

Post by Walker »

Surprisingly or maybe not there’s a lot a to be said for our friends the Hyphens.

They can open the door to counter-intuitive associations leading to truth, though time-lag of reception can make the path may be a-long a winding road.

15-round fight
15 round-fight

The Commas are cool too.

As the bard said: that that is is.

Breaking the rules makes more sense when the rules are known.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

I'm afraid that is one of my issues. I have to over-rely on my spell check, which often falters on them. Example; did I need the hyphen there? Some words seem okay separated, hyphenated, or together.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:I'm afraid that is one of my issues. I have to over-rely on my spell check, which often falters on them. Example; did I need the hyphen there? Some words seem okay separated, hyphenated, or together.
No. You needed to delete the word, "over."

Over and out.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:I'm afraid that is one of my issues. I have to over-rely on my spell check, which often falters on them. Example; did I need the hyphen there? Some words seem okay separated, hyphenated, or together.
No. You needed to delete the word, "over."

Over and out.
No, I need to delete your unhelpful post. I over-rely on the spell check to suggest hyphenation or no, not just rely on it.
Skip

Post by Skip »

I use lots of hyphens. I don't think there is a grammatical rule about hardwired/ hard-wired, since it's a made-up word that, furthermore, was made up by engineers, who are not, as a general rule, ardent disciples of Grammar. When it was later adopted/ adapted by neurobiology/ neuro-biologists, they may have agreed upon a convention for its use. But I never got the memo.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Skip wrote:I use lots of hyphens. I don't think there is a grammatical rule about hardwired/ hard-wired, since it's a made-up word that, furthermore, was made up by engineers, who are not, as a general rule, ardent disciples of Grammar. When it was later adopted/ adapted by neurobiology/ neuro-biologists, they may have agreed upon a convention for its use. But I never got the memo.
I kinda like a slash/forward slash as well. Perhaps it's because I'm lazy/indecisive ?
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Walker wrote:Surprisingly or maybe not there’s a lot a to be said for our friends the Hyphens.

They can open the door to counter-intuitive associations leading to truth, though time-lag of reception can make the path may be a-long a winding road.

15-round fight
15 round-fight

The Commas are cool too.

As the bard said: that that is is.

Breaking the rules makes more sense when the rules are known.
Iz fun 2 rule-brake
Skip

Post by Skip »

Jo?
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Why is hyphenating or non hyphenating/ non-hyphenating an issue for you? Because you need to be correct? Or is it the aesthetics?
Or the change in meaning, as Walker illustrated.

All-of-the-above. Wonder how much an abuse of the hyphen annoys people?
What punctuation mark has the most potential to grate on nerves.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Skip wrote:Jo?
Eh?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

marjoram_blues wrote:
Why is hyphenating or non hyphenating/ non-hyphenating an issue for you? Because you need to be correct? Or is it the aesthetics?
Or the change in meaning, as Walker illustrated.

All-of-the-above. Wonder how much an abuse of the hyphen annoys people?
What punctuation mark has the most potential to grate on nerves.
I do like to be correct on my writing, yes. A bit of a perfectionist, hence I'll go back and edit posts for little mistakes, when I note them.

As long as punctuation is used properly to separate and distinguish what one is saying, it doesn't bother me too much.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

When writing originated anciently there was no punctuation nor capitalization. Everything written was just one long run-on sentence.

This is most apparent now if you read ancient Hebrew or ancient Greek -- both available as the original transcriptions of the Christian Bible -- which is a combination of the Hebrew Tenakh and the Greek New Testament.

Even to this day Hebrew uses no lower case letters.

And Greek lower case was invented during the 15th Century transcriptions of the Greek New Testament to make the transcription go faster, and still there was no punctuation.

Grammar/Syntax conventions have arisen since then in English as in other European languages, including periods, commas, and hyphens.

Hyphens are punctuation that should be used if there is ambiguity without them. If not they should be dropped.

The evolution of new modern words usually goes through a hyphenation stage until the words finally end up combined.

Good example in English:

To morrow.

To-morrow.

Tomorrow.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

yiostheoy wrote:When writing originated anciently there was no punctuation nor capitalization. Everything written was just one long run-on sentence.

This is most apparent now if you read ancient Hebrew or ancient Greek -- both available as the original transcriptions of the Christian Bible -- which is a combination of the Hebrew Tenakh and the Greek New Testament.

Even to this day Hebrew uses no lower case letters.

And Greek lower case was invented during the 15th Century transcriptions of the Greek New Testament to make the transcription go faster, and still there was no punctuation.

Grammar/Syntax conventions have arisen since then in English as in other European languages, including periods, commas, and hyphens.

Hyphens are punctuation that should be used if there is ambiguity without them. If not they should be dropped.

The evolution of new modern words usually goes through a hyphenation stage until the words finally end up combined.

Good example in English:

To morrow.

To-morrow.

Tomorrow.
That's the convention I generally go by. Interesting post. English fascinates me, which is why I find yanklish so offensive.