Instrumental Music for Studying

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Constantine

Instrumental Music for Studying

Post by Constantine »

I've found some mix of cello or contrabass, or with a duduk flute as in this case, works best when I study. If I hear voices or uplifting, spirited music my concentration is thrown off. I mostly do this if copying a manuscript.

Today I'm doing Vol. 4 of the Agni Purana, chapter 247 "The characteristics of a building site". Then I'll likely track down some random Chinese myth that catches my eye and copy it too, or at least take notes. This kind of music is perfect for deep somatic digestion of a text.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=odP72Q_MO ... ZHVkdWs%3D
Maia

Re: Instrumental Music for Studying

Post by Maia »

I don't usually listen to something else, such as music, when I'm reading, as it would be distracting. I do, however, find it difficult to sit still, indoors, if I'm reading something long, such as a book, and will usually do something else at the same time, such as cooking, housework, or anything, really, that doesn't require much thought. And best of all, simply being outside, in a nice quiet spot, maybe walking, though certainly not if it's a busy area.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

That is so beautiful. Haunting and evocative.
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

Brian Eno: A Place We Once Walked

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Czuy4hBzv ... Ugd2Fsa2Vk

I spent half of last fall rucking to this on repeat, watching the leaves fall on the trails until the snow set in.
vegetariantaxidermy

Amazing how a small number of chord progressions can help us feel connected to everything. Music takes my full attention, so I don't know if any music would be very useful for studying. I imagine this would be lovely during a walk through a forest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiqlZZd ... Relaxation
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Music? Forget about it...

Emil Cioran:

"If everything is a lie, is illusory, then music itself is a lie, but the superb lie. As long as you listen to it, you have the feeling that it is the whole universe, that everything ceases to exist, there is only music. But then when you stop listening, you fall back into time and wonder, 'well, what is it? What state was I in?' You had felt it was everything, and then it all disappeared."
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

Maia wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:15 pm I don't usually listen to something else, such as music, when I'm reading, as it would be distracting. I do, however, find it difficult to sit still, indoors, if I'm reading something long, such as a book, and will usually do something else at the same time, such as cooking, housework, or anything, really, that doesn't require much thought. And best of all, simply being outside, in a nice quiet spot, maybe walking, though certainly not if it's a busy area.
You might find this interesting...

https://interlude.hk/blindness-and-musical-talent/

"Scientists at the University of Montreal have reported that blind people are up to 10 times better at discriminating between pitches. However, this only appeared to be the case if blindness occurred before the age of two, and the results showed a clear correlation between musical talent with age of blindness. Late blind subjects—those who became blind after 5 years of age, were shown to be no different from the control subject"

...research shows that 57% of blind musicians have perfect pitch, compared to less than 20% of musicians who do see."
vegetariantaxidermy

iambiguous wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:43 pm Music? Forget about it...

Emil Cioran:

"If everything is a lie, is illusory, then music itself is a lie, but the superb lie. As long as you listen to it, you have the feeling that it is the whole universe, that everything ceases to exist, there is only music. But then when you stop listening, you fall back into time and wonder, 'well, what is it? What state was I in?' You had felt it was everything, and then it all disappeared."
True. That thunk back into 'reality' isn't a pleasant feeling. We have to wonder why.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Lisa Thiel has done some pretty evocative forest songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SZ6vFs9w20
Maia

Post by Maia »

iambiguous wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:50 pm
Maia wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:15 pm I don't usually listen to something else, such as music, when I'm reading, as it would be distracting. I do, however, find it difficult to sit still, indoors, if I'm reading something long, such as a book, and will usually do something else at the same time, such as cooking, housework, or anything, really, that doesn't require much thought. And best of all, simply being outside, in a nice quiet spot, maybe walking, though certainly not if it's a busy area.

"Scientists at the University of Montreal have reported that blind people are up to 10 times better at discriminating between pitches. However, this only appeared to be the case if blindness occurred before the age of two, and the results showed a clear correlation between musical talent with age of blindness. Late blind subjects—those who became blind after 5 years of age, were shown to be no different from the control subject"

...research shows that 57% of blind musicians have perfect pitch, compared to less than 20% of musicians who do see."
+++It turns out that the visual area of the brain does not only process information through visual cues, but can also process information through other senses, in order to analyze language and other complex processes, such as hearing and touch.+++

It would be a terrible waste of brain capacity if it didn't. Not all blind people are good musicians, though. I'm not, for example. Though I have a pretty good ear for, well, not only music, but other things too.
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

iambiguous wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:50 pm

I have absolutely no reason to doubt Maia can out process me in terms of sound palettes. When I study I'm not preforming the same mental functions as Maia, my hand writing is celebrated and remarked on by most who know me for my miniscule print script. I'm not merely reading a text but committing it to memory through motor control routes, visual and mental verbal. I'm often doing cross referencing as well.... that text from the Agni Purana I'm mentioned earlier is a distant descendant from The building of Ninĝirsu's temple (Gudea, cylinders A and B).

This is a level of memory control most are incapable of. And I in general have a very shitty memory. It's Yoda with a cane, then Yoda with a Light Saber flipping around all over. Then once the pen is down back to shit memory.

Right now I'm listening to jazz. I can't listen to Charles Marino while studying usually even if a instrumental because it is to uplifting. It's a instrumental. I could read a narrative like Oliver Twist to it, but that requires much less cognitive processing. I'm rarely going to take notes to such literature. If I'm hiking I'll often listen to lyrics. If Maia was physically around me I could drink tea and talk and listen to her music.... and probably read Oliver Twist, but couldn't have her around if doing a deep dive into a text.... the social component of people physically present wanting me to interact is too much. This is why in Japan and China you'll often times find introverted poets renowned for calligraphy go hike up into a mountain and live in a grass hut for a while to write poetry. If I'm hiking, it's the same as a peripatetic walk.... I can listen to podcasts, lectures and audiobooks. I can communicate while hiking outwardly or in a internal monologue. I can further reduce it to a near depressing instrumental if I gotta do memory deep dive and high strain deductive reasoning. It acts like a think tank almost.

The Charlie Mariano song I mentioned:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uKoSEdYPz ... Fubw%3D%3D
Constantine

Post by Constantine »

Constantine

Post by Constantine »

Constantine

Post by Constantine »

Meditation from Thais - Jules Massenet 1 hour