Intelligence and IQ Levels

How does science work? And what's all this about quantum mechanics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: Intelligence and IQ Levels

Post by Skepdick »

Wizard22 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:06 pm You are not "rejecting mine" because that would presuppose you know what my point is.

You don't, which is becoming a regular occurrence.
I am reading and responding to your words. If your point is not contained in your words then I can't possibly know what your point is.

Congratulations on being incompetent at communicating your point in words.
Wizard22 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:06 pm "Been appointed" by whom or what?
By whatever social processes are at play. Have you never been in a social setting where the boss isn't the leader?
Wizard22 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:06 pm What else is trust but blind, as-if you do any differently?
Trust is blind. Doubt is blind. Blindness all around.

I am doing something very different to you. I am not using trust as an attack vector; or as a way of pretending to be superior to others.

The way you attack othe people for the very behaviour you are exemplifying might suggest that you don't like yourself very much.
Wizard22 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:06 pm You're missing a large range of points here, as per usual.
You are failing to communicate them. As usual.
Wizard22 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:06 pm Some airlines are safer than others. This is a Fact. People trust airlines with proven track records. People trust the news about plane crashes, if and when they report them. People trust their experiences and share stories of high turbulence and bad landings through social media. As typical, you neglect all the information and contexts.
Yes. That particular bias is called the illusion of control. It's a form of a small sample-size fallacy.

Here's a relevant meme.
control.jpg
control.jpg (44.75 KiB) Viewed 681 times
Wizard22 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:06 pm As are all the dead vaxxers who were killed by vaccine-injuries and damage.
Yeah. The false equivalence sure is your favourite beating stick.

Lets ignore the orders of magnitude difference in risk profile and pretend that both choices carry the exact same risk.

That's exactly how unintelligent people with high IQ think
Wizard22 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:06 pm Who says I can't? You?
Your on-going failure to produce a product better than the one you are lamenting says so.

Wizard22 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:06 pm My specialty is Philosophy, not Biochemistry and Virology, although the latter certainly interests me after what Pfizer and Moderna companies, along with Bill Gates and Peter Daszak, were able to pull-off with their agenda to mass vaccinate the entire global population so that the human chattel become used to the idea of blind-faith in their authority.
As opposed to what? The blind faith in the authority of an idiot Philosopher (such as yourself) who tells me that I shouldn't use effective medicine?
Wizard22 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:06 pm What is more adulated to Eugenicists than the prospect of every single human on Earth having blind-faith and trust to inject in your bloodstream...
Hey, look! I was really hoping to get free 5G signal with my vaccine. Imagine the disappointment!
Wizard22 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:06 pm whatever they say and want?!
There's never a better sign that you are dealing with a conspiratorial nutjob when they use the spooky "they"!

They are out to get you, bro! Do something! No idea what (you can't even make your own vaccine) but DO something!

I guess moral panic is something. That's why you are doing it.
Wizard22 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:06 pm You certainly have no resistance, no second-thought, no doubt. You are just as Faithful to Science as the Christian to God.
Of course do! I am a scientist. It is in my nature to doubt both sides of the story so I doubt the optimists and the pessimists concurrently and I figure out who the idiots are based on evidence. This is what intelligent people do.

What idiots do is this....

Last edited by Skepdick on Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:31 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Yes it's called aphantasia and it's rare (I think less than 5% have it). I have lots of inner monologue, all the usual stuff etc., but my mind's eye is visually BLIND. It's obviously (I guess) a major disadvantage in areas of life that depend a lot on inner visualization. Now funnily enough, I think I can rotate objects, it just happens without seeing an object, if that makes any sense.

On the other hand, my abstract thinking got a big boost which is good for philosophy and some other things. I can almost "see" the structure and layers of abstract thinking.

I do dream in images though, it's the only time I'm having inner visuals. Which led me to the conclusion that dreams are probably more-or-less experienced the same way as waking reality is, the difference is that waking reality mainly gets input from the outside and dreams from the inside of the brain.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Atla wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:25 pm Yes it's called aphantasia and it's rare (I think less than 5% have it). I have lots of inner monologue, all the usual stuff etc., but my mind's eye is visually BLIND. It's obviously (I guess) a major disadvantage in areas of life that depend a lot on inner visualization. Now funnily enough, I think I can rotate objects, it just happens without seeing an object, if that makes any sense.

On the other hand, my abstract thinking got a big boost which is good for philosophy and some other things. I can almost "see" the structure and layers of abstract thinking.

I do dream in images though, it's the only time I'm having inner visuals. Which led me to the conclusion that dreams are probably more-or-less experienced the same way as waking reality is, the difference is that waking reality mainly gets input from the outside and dreams from the inside of the brain.
I find this really interesting. Do you have any sort of visual mental imagery at all, or can you produce it, if you try? Other than in dreams, that is. My own dreams don't have any visual component but that's probably not surprising.

Hope you don't mind me asking, anyway.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Maia wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:51 pm
Atla wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:25 pm Yes it's called aphantasia and it's rare (I think less than 5% have it). I have lots of inner monologue, all the usual stuff etc., but my mind's eye is visually BLIND. It's obviously (I guess) a major disadvantage in areas of life that depend a lot on inner visualization. Now funnily enough, I think I can rotate objects, it just happens without seeing an object, if that makes any sense.

I find this really interesting. Do you have any sort of visual mental imagery at all, or can you produce it, if you try? Other than in dreams, that is. My own dreams don't have any visual component but that's probably not surprising.

I've been trying hard since 2010 or so to visualize, I tried many times and in different ways, I haven't been able to do it even once. Nada.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Atla wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:55 pm

I've been trying hard since 2010 or so to visualize, I tried many times and in different ways, I haven't been able to do it even once. Nada.
Are you fully sighted, if you don't mind me asking?
Atla

Post by Atla »

Maia wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:58 pm

Yes
Actually there's no way I can tell, but I think I may have been able to visualize somewhat, when I was little. I may have lost it some 25 years ago.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Atla wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:01 pm
Yes
Actually there's no way I can tell, but I think I may have been able to visualize somewhat, when I was little. I may have lost it some 25 years ago.
Was there any particular reason for that, that you know of? Or just growing up, perhaps.

I've been completely blind since birth, by the way.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Really interesting that you can dream visually with aphantasia.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

My own ability to visualize varies depending on the context, but a lot of the time it's kind of like tunnel vision. I can't see a whole fully detailed object all at once. I can see the overall structure (like a silhouette) with some detail, or I can zoom in on parts and see little sections of intense detail at a time, but never a very detailed object in full detail all at once.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:06 pm My own ability to visualize varies depending on the context, but a lot of the time it's kind of like tunnel vision. I can't see a whole fully detailed object all at once. I can see the overall structure (like a silhouette) with some detail, or I can zoom in on parts and see little bits of detail at a time, but never a very detailed object in full detail all at once.
Interesting, because when I imagine shapes and spaces it's not from any specific position.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Maia wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:04 pm

Yes
Was there any particular reason for that, that you know of? Or just growing up, perhaps.

Maybe I had major connectivity issues in my brain, and reached a breaking point. Maybe it was long-time brain inflammation. Maybe my abstract thinking over-evolved and burned out my visual thinking, because it was holding me back. Maybe I never could visualize to begin with. I don't know which of these, if any.
Maia

Post by Maia »

Atla wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:12 pm
Yes

Maybe I had major connectivity issues in my brain, and reached a breaking point. Maybe it was long-time brain inflammation. Maybe my abstract thinking over-evolved and burned out my visual thinking, because it was holding me back. Maybe I never could visualize to begin with. I don't know which of these, if any.
Have you ever had a CT scan of your visual cortex?
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Maia wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:10 pm
Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:06 pm My own ability to visualize varies depending on the context, but a lot of the time it's kind of like tunnel vision. I can't see a whole fully detailed object all at once. I can see the overall structure (like a silhouette) with some detail, or I can zoom in on parts and see little bits of detail at a time, but never a very detailed object in full detail all at once.
Interesting, because when I imagine shapes and spaces it's not from any specific position.
Now that is interesting. I feel like, no matter how I imagine something, it's inherently relative to a position. Especially visually, because I don't think there's really a such thing as a visualization that isn't from a particular perspective - I don't think you can have vision without it being <from some point of view> - but even if I try imagining the 3d shape of an asymmetric object without using images, there's always a side that's closer to me or further from me - it's always from a relative position for me.

I can change that relative position, I can rotate the object or move around it, but yeah, that relative position is something I can't avoid or get rid of.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:05 pm

Really interesting that you can dream visually with aphantasia.
Looks like it's not just me:
Zeman's 2015 paper used the Vividness of Visual Imagery Questionnaire (VVIQ), developed by David Marks in 1973, to evaluate the quality of the mental image of 21 self-diagnosed and self-selected participants. He identified that aphantasics lack voluntary visualizations only; they are still able to have involuntary visualizations such as dreams.
But is he really right about dreams being a form "involuntary" visualization? This is what I assumed to be the case too for years, as I was experimenting with trying to visualize. But this approach yielded zero results. When awake, I don't think I can visualize neither voluntarily nor involuntarily. But in lucid dreams, I can sometimes even change the visuals voluntarily.

I really tend to think by now that dreams are NOT a form of visualization at all. Ths is actually super interesting.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Maia wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:13 pm
Atla wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:12 pm

Have you ever had a CT scan of your visual cortex?
No and I don't even want to do a CT scan. They would probably find more than one weird thing.
Last edited by Atla on Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.