Post a Random Reflection

General chit-chat

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: Post a Random Reflection

Post by Arising_uk »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:The gorilla being of a branch of primate that is gentle and caring, was looking after the child and protecting it from harm. ...
Unfortunately it was also dragging him around by a limb and could easily have seriously hurt the child without intention.

What I don't understand is why they didn't have tranq-darts, surely standard procedure?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

The thinkin' was the ape was agitated, the tranq woulda taken longer to work cuz it was agitated, so the kid woulda got his chops busted even more.

A bullet, on the other hand, if applied right, always is quick.
Walker

Re:

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote:One dead ape, one roughed up kid: bad parents! Baaaaad parents!
There’s a saying, blame the sin and not the sinner. Sounds like a Christian saying. Is it nonsense?

The public outcry volume is increasing. It’s apparently unified, like a tribal roar.

Any theories as to why the outcry?
Is it an outcry to end zoos?
Is it an outcry to punish those responsible for what happened?

From what I heard, the effect of the darts is not immediate, and the authorities determined that an immediate response was required to preserve the life of an innocent human being.

The assessment of the authorities was based on their knowledge of the creature and conditions, and they are in the position of making that kind of immediate decision because of their knowledge.

There’s a good chance no one loved that critter more than those authorities..

The decision was likely pre-determined as an official response to a predictable situation. Standard operating procedure.
Hobbes' Choice

Re: Post a Random Reflection

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Arising_uk wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:The gorilla being of a branch of primate that is gentle and caring, was looking after the child and protecting it from harm. ...
Unfortunately it was also dragging him around by a limb and could easily have seriously hurt the child without intention.

What I don't understand is why they didn't have tranq-darts, surely standard procedure?
Indeed - a question I have also asked.
I guess when the average American sees a Gorilla he thinks: King Kong, and Gee I ain't nev'r shot wuner thme thangs.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"I ain't nev'r shot wuner thme thangs"

Yeah, that's it, Hoboes...it had nuthin' to do with savin' the kid.
Arising_uk

Re: Re:

Post by Arising_uk »

Walker wrote:From what I heard, the effect of the darts is not immediate, and the authorities determined that an immediate response was required to preserve the life of an innocent human being. ...
Except the thing went on for quite a while so a dart might have been an option but I agree that the zookeepers wouldn't have done it if they thought they could have helped it.

I think the outcry is at the stupidity of the mother rather than the boy or the gorilla. Who the fuck is far enough away from their four-year old boy when there's large drops, climbable fences and a great attraction?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Arising_uk wrote:
Walker wrote:From what I heard, the effect of the darts is not immediate, and the authorities determined that an immediate response was required to preserve the life of an innocent human being. ...
Except the thing went on for quite a while so a dart might have been an option but I agree that the zookeepers wouldn't have done it if they thought they could have helped it.

I think the outcry is at the stupidity of the mother rather than the boy or the gorilla. Who the fuck is far enough away from their four-year old boy when there's large drops, climbable fences and a great attraction?
The gradual transition from consciousness to unconsciousness would cause some distress in the animal due to loss of motor control, and a big ape that can’t control it’s strength is thus the predicted outcome of a dart. From what I heard, the beast was protecting the child, but was agitated because of the crowd hysteria. I think it was dragging the kid to protect it due to the agitation caused by the hysterical onlookers and it was keeping the child close as it would do with a sturdier ape child. I once read that some scientists tried to gauge silverback strength and in human terms as best they could determine, the beast could arm curl 800 pounds.

If someone goes after the parents, their attorney will sue the bejesus out of the zoo. Maybe even if no one goes after the parents. That's a prediction, having never met the parents or their future attorney, who if talented enough will indict all of Western Civilization and make it stick with logic but more importantly, with emotional sympathy for the trauma caused this family by the neglectful zoo, the authority who sure should have known how to design a safe environment.
Hobbes' Choice

Re:

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

henry quirk wrote:"I ain't nev'r shot wuner thme thangs"

Yeah, that's it, Hoboes...it had nuthin' to do with savin' the kid.
Wadda you care? You'd rather die than help another person.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

HA!

If you mean to say I got a problem with forced compassion, then -- yeah -- you're right.

But, this is beside the point.

The thread is about a roughed up child, a negligent parent, and a dead ape, not my miserly heart.

Simply: Mom fucked up royally and -- as a result -- her kid got tossed around by an ape who then got shot.

The ape is not to blame, the kid is not to blame, the zoo is not to blame, and -- no, Hobbes -- America is not to blame.

Mom is the idiot...blame her.
Hobbes' Choice

Re:

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

henry quirk wrote:
The thread is about a roughed up child, a negligent parent, and a dead ape, not my miserly heart..
The thread is random reflections.
America ain't responsible for anything it does - half the world's problem since 1945.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
henry quirk wrote:
The thread is about a roughed up child, a negligent parent, and a dead ape, not my miserly heart..
America ain't responsible for anything it does - half the world's problem since 1945.
Ape story:
Life is the measure of everything, and philosophy. When in doubt, consult life and the alternative.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Walker wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
henry quirk wrote:
Ape story:
Life is the measure of everything, and philosophy. When in doubt, consult life and the alternative.
Odd philosophy is additional to "everything: by implication philosophy is not included in everything, thus must be nothing.
Life cannot be consulted. Presumably the alternative is death, which, also is beyond the possibility of consultation.
When in a state of confusion: apply reason. When that does not work, as is often the case with your posts, the best you can do is accept the alternative to life, and keep watching Fox News, as I know you do.
Last edited by Hobbes' Choice on Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Yeah, this is the random reflection thread...here's one...

The Empire is rotten to the core...pining for its hey-day of imperialism, it resents being supplanted...it fears the upstart across the ocean who rules the globe, but like the old geezer it is, it can only shake a palsied, age-spotted fist and spit insult...in its worm-ridden heart, the Empire mourns its impotence and would sell its national soul to again colonize, dominate.

America is a monster to the Empire only cuz the Empire no longer has the balls, the umph, to be the monster itself.
Hobbes' Choice

Re:

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

henry quirk wrote:Yeah, this is the random reflection thread...here's one...

The Empire is rotten to the core...pining for its hey-day of imperialism, it resents being supplanted...it fears the upstart across the ocean who rules the globe, but like the old geezer it is, it can only shake a palsied, age-spotted fist and spit insult...in its worm-ridden heart, the Empire mourns its impotence and would sell its national soul to again colonize, dominate.

America is a monster to the Empire only cuz the Empire no longer has the balls, the umph, to be the monster itself.
America is the empire and Israel is it's chief colony.
Walker

Re:

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote:Yeah, this is the random reflection thread...here's one...

It's the demographic. There's no allegiance in the new, and in the shrinking minority of the old a shell of nostalgia, the remembrance of what never really was.