Is God everywhere or not?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Lacewing

Re: Is God everywhere or not?

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote: Please re-read what I have written, and pay particular attention to the last sentence.
Yes, I see... you are saying it can work both ways (right?)... and I started out saying something that sounded the same. But maybe as you can see, I went on to try to communicate that there could be something else going on... and that it might not be tied to one's current or "supposedly past" experience/situation. Rather than our lives/situations reflecting (or materializing based on) our "progression" or "stage" on the reincarnation path, it might simply be what the energy wants to experience NEXT... and it could be anything. We're the ones who take it all (and ourselves) so seriously. I'm not sure that any of it is linear from one point to another.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

attofishpi wrote: You are still attempting to treat the soul and the body as separate entities. During ones life, they are the one and the same, it is only upon death that i am stating that they are separate.
Yeah, but the fact is that at death they DO separate. For the body, there are no consequences of its actions. It is the soul which must bear the burden of all the actions taken. So the soul and body are separate.

There are two options here for the soul. One is that it continues to move from body to body for eternity. The other is that it at some point stops moving from body to body. If it continues from body to body, what does it get out of it? If it stops moving from body to body, where does it go and what does it get out of the experience? What purpose does it serve for God? And what does God get out of it again?
hazlett

Post by hazlett »

There are two options here for the soul. One is that it continues to move from body to body for eternity. The other is that it at some point stops moving from body to body. If it continues from body to body, what does it get out of it? If it stops moving from body to body, where does it go and what does it get out of the experience? What purpose does it serve for God? And what does God get out of it again?
You are right when you said that death is the separation of body and soul. Likewise, soul has two options. One is eternal life and the other one is abysmal pit. Your definition that you gave regarding death is physical death. There is also spiritual death but I don't want to go into detail because, it is too broad to tackle. Once, the person die(physical death). Our body remain here since our body is made from dust. So, it will return to dust. Our soul is spirit and spirit cannot be seen by eyes. It should be returned to God. Since, He breathe the clay He mold as man tantamount to say that He gives his spirit when God breathe the clay. So, it should return to God. However, when the first man fall then, the two option came up. Nevertheless, soul didn't go from body to body. So, to answer your original question if God is everywhere. Yes, because God is spirit. As He said, heaven is my throne and earth is my footstool. So, he is everywhere.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Lacewing wrote:Yes, I see... you are saying it can work both ways (right?)... and I started out saying something that sounded the same. But maybe as you can see, I went on to try to communicate that there could be something else going on... and that it might not be tied to one's current or "supposedly past" experience/situation.
That's right, i am restating what i originally stated, that one's 'soul' path can be changed for the better or for the worse no matter what the orginating circumstances are of ones life genesis.

Lacewing wrote:Rather than our lives/situations reflecting (or materializing based on) our "progression" or "stage" on the reincarnation path, it might simply be what the energy wants to experience NEXT.
Again, i will state you talk mightly spiritual for an atheist.
How does 'energy want' us to experience something if it is not willed by some intelligence?

Lacewing wrote:.. and it could be anything. We're the ones who take it all (and ourselves) so seriously. I'm not sure that any of it is linear from one point to another.
If ones 'soul' path is not linear from as you state 'one point to another' - in other words from one life to the next...then exactly what are you inferring?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

sthitapragya wrote:
attofishpi wrote:You are still attempting to treat the soul and the body as separate entities. During ones life, they are the one and the same, it is only upon death that i am stating that they are separate.
Yeah, but the fact is that at death they DO separate.
Well done.
No point lingering around something that is about to get rather stinky.
sthitapragya wrote:For the body, there are no consequences of its actions.
Have you ever lived? Its pretty nasty when you take on an armed psychotic druggie with just your fists...it hurts...pain hurts...thats part of the body...that actually hurts. There are consequences for the body.
sthitapragya wrote:It is the soul which must bear the burden of all the actions taken. So the soul and body are separate.
Yes. The soul must bear the burden of all actions taken since you caressed the construct of your mind from birth into its present state.
No. The body and soul are not separate during ones life.
sthitapragya wrote:There are two options here for the soul. One is that it continues to move from body to body for eternity. The other is that it at some point stops moving from body to body.
Ok, i can't argue with that. (until entropy raises its nasty consequence.)
sthitapragya wrote:If it continues from body to body, what does it get out of it?
A fresh start? A new challenge?
sthitapragya wrote:If it stops moving from body to body, where does it go and what does it get out of the experience?
Zilch.
sthitapragya wrote:What purpose does it serve for God? And what does God get out of it again?
I don't know, did you ask it?
When i first became aware of 'God's existence at a very early stage i was advised: 'God needs nothing.'
Hope that helps.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote:i am restating what i originally stated, that one's 'soul' path can be changed for the better or for the worse no matter what the orginating circumstances are of ones life genesis.
I've thought that it seems logical that the energy a person generates around themselves, might attract or combine with like-energy even when that "person" ceases to exist in the physical state we are aware of. But lately I'm more inclined to think that all energy disperses when a form ends.
attofishpi wrote:Again, i will state you talk mightly spiritual for an atheist.
Well, SURE! Because spiritual concepts are not confined to belief in a god. :D
attofishpi wrote:How does 'energy want' us to experience something if it is not willed by some intelligence?
I'm trying to express a difference between a path based on checkpoints and progression, to one based on nothing other than organically flowing in one direction or another simply because it can. I think of energy moving in ways that are less about our human notions of purpose, and more about dancing and just doing what it does and is capable of, which is anything and everything.
attofishpi wrote:If ones 'soul' path is not linear from as you state 'one point to another' - in other words from one life to the next...then exactly what are you inferring?
A network of possibilities, in all directions. No distinct line or distance or choice. Every point connecting directly to every other point.

So, whether a raging inferno, or a calm pool, or a flower, or a human being moving about having imaginings about itself... it's all the same pure energy, manifesting in forms and vibrations, and perhaps expanding. My thought/sense is that it cannot be defined by the rules and logic of humans because it is not limited by such things in any way.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

attofishpi wrote:
sthitapragya wrote:What purpose does it serve for God? And what does God get out of it again?
When i first became aware of 'God's existence at a very early stage i was advised: 'God needs nothing.'
Hope that helps.
Not really. Because if God needs nothing, why did It need to create the world in the first place? And that still does not explain the merry -go-round the soul is on.
The Inglorious One

Post by The Inglorious One »

Lacewing wrote:Well, SURE! Because spiritual concepts are not confined to belief in a god. :D
That makes you a pantheist -- an absurd proposition for many reasons.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Lacewing wrote:
attofishpi wrote:i am restating what i originally stated, that one's 'soul' path can be changed for the better or for the worse no matter what the orginating circumstances are of ones life genesis.
I've thought that it seems logical that the energy a person generates around themselves, might attract or combine with like-energy even when that "person" ceases to exist in the physical state we are aware of. But lately I'm more inclined to think that all energy disperses when a form ends.
You appear to view intelligence as little more than a big fluffy ball of energy.
Lacewing wrote:
Well, SURE! Because spiritual concepts are not confined to belief in a god. :D
Not if you lack reasoning.
Lacewing wrote:
attofishpi wrote:How does 'energy want' us to experience something if it is not willed by some intelligence?
I'm trying to express a difference between a path based on checkpoints and progression, to one based on nothing other than organically flowing in one direction or another simply because it can. I think of energy moving in ways that are less about our human notions of purpose, and more about dancing and just doing what it does and is capable of, which is anything and everything.
Sounds like something lacking intelligent direction...chaos in fact.
Lacewing wrote:
attofishpi wrote:If ones 'soul' path is not linear from as you state 'one point to another' - in other words from one life to the next...then exactly what are you inferring?
A network of possibilities, in all directions. No distinct line or distance or choice. Every point connecting directly to every other point.
...more chaos.
Lacewing wrote:So, whether a raging inferno, or a calm pool, or a flower, or a human being moving about having imaginings about itself... it's all the same pure energy, manifesting in forms and vibrations, and perhaps expanding. My thought/sense is that it cannot be defined by the rules and logic of humans because it is not limited by such things in any way.
Sorry, i cannot reason with a mind that appears not to reason.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

sthitapragya wrote:
attofishpi wrote:
Hope that helps.
Not really. Because if God needs nothing, why did It need to create the world in the first place? And that still does not explain the merry -go-round the soul is on.
I believe the statement 'God needs nothing' was stated to advise me that God needs nothing from me, perhaps from anybody. All these people that believe they are doing 'Gods' work, bless them, are in fact, on the whole, just benefiting fellow man. God truly needs nothing from us.

If you think your life amounts to little more than a merry-go-round then perhaps you need to Y's up...(in this one)
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

attofishpi wrote:Sorry, i cannot reason with a mind that appears not to reason.
Understandable, based on how it appears to you.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

The Inglorious One wrote:
Lacewing wrote:spiritual concepts are not confined to belief in a god. :D
That makes you a pantheist
No it doesn't. Run along with your label-maker. Obsessively labeling things shows your desperation to think you "know", while highlighting your limitation and failure in trying to do so.
Gustav Bjornstrand

Post by Gustav Bjornstrand »

Yet we have to define and label in order to make our way through the world. I suggest that with Lacewing one comes face-to-face with the very core of spoiled-female reasoning. It desires to assert, but recoils from the responsibility of assertion. It desires to define, and yet will not allow definition.

I will I think go along with the 'dance' image: It is like a little girl princess who just wants to dance in her fantasy while her indulgent parents, charmed down to their socks, allow it because it makes them emotionally melt. This is intellect seduced.

I further suggest that this represents a style of thinking which is prevalent, which can be examined more closely, can be questioned, and can be made to reveal its 'operative cores'. It has predicates, but the predicates, hidden in a moist cave, do not reveal themselves so easily.

We seem to be able to 'know' on one hand but then we cannot 'know' on the other. It is really quite girlish. I'd also focus on the 'power' dimension. Thought it 'dances' and cavorts, it is evident there is a strong power assertion here. Cross it and you will pay consequences. Once again, a spoiled little girl, high on her power, dominating her parents.
The Inglorious One

Post by The Inglorious One »

What's more important: breathing in or breathing out? It's the same with "knowing" and "not-knowing."

Lacewing wants to breathe in sentimental 'knowing' without breathing anything out, but she unwittingly does so anyway.

Yes, I'm a "label-maker" because that's what people do. But by calling me a 'label-maker,' Lacewing unavoidably becomes one herself.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

attofishpi wrote: I believe the statement 'God needs nothing' was stated to advise me that God needs nothing from me, perhaps from anybody. All these people that believe they are doing 'Gods' work, bless them, are in fact, on the whole, just benefiting fellow man. God truly needs nothing from us.

If you think your life amounts to little more than a merry-go-round then perhaps you need to Y's up...(in this one)
Not really. Because I don't believe in the soul so I believe when I die, I become extinct. But the soul does seem to be on a merry-go-round, doesn't it, considering that every new body it takes, it gets a fresh start and a new challenge ? Why is the soul looking for this challenge? To pass time?

You say God needs nothing from us. Since we and our soul are inseparable and are one and the same, God does not need anything from the soul either. So why does the soul need to be good? Or more importantly, why is the soul even there considering God does not need it?