Circularity in Wikipedia and proposal for new definition

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

The Voice of Time

Circularity in Wikipedia and proposal for new definition

Post by The Voice of Time »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind
A mind is the set of cognitive faculties that enables consciousness, perception, thinking, judgement, and memory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognition
In science, cognition is a group of mental processes that includes attention, memory, producing and understanding language, learning, reasoning, problem solving, and decision making.
My objection here is that mind is designated meaning by "cognitive" which derives its meaning from "cognition", cognition in turn derives its meaning from "mental" which in turn derives its meaning from "mind". Clearly you have here a four-staged circular definition.

I'd like to propose a new formal definition then that a mind is, only, the sum of ideas, where each idea acts dependently on others ideas creating a networked individual-based "society of mind". There are no "faculties" of mind besides ideas that happens to favour some kind of objective associated with people's consciousness, in other words, there are no other things in the mind than ideas and the functions we attribute to ideas. Consciousness is the only actual proof we have for the existing of some such thing as the mind, it creates the natural environment from which we can perceive some content for which we understand to be parts of a greater set of contents we call "mind", and we make this greater set of contents by filling gaps in our conscious experience with theories of underlying supporting structures of similar kind as the matter of the conscious itself.

Faculties of the brain may however exist, and carry out functions that support the structure of the mind, but the mind does not itself contain its own supporting structure (except the greater set of contents of the same matter as the conscious, but which doesn't decide things like memory, only the contents of the memory, for which is ideas, or patterns, as I've stated on in previous threads in this forum, making it traceable to biological structures).
Impenitent

Re: Circularity in Wikipedia and proposal for new definition

Post by Impenitent »

scholars ignore Wikipedia as a source

-Imp
The Voice of Time

Re: Circularity in Wikipedia and proposal for new definition

Post by The Voice of Time »

Impenitent wrote:scholars ignore Wikipedia as a source

-Imp
That may be to some degree, but then I'll have to ask where scholars decide out their own versions ^^