For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Tesla

Re: Who has a philosophy degree?

Post by Tesla »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

Nothing comes from nothing.
~~~ Parmenides ~~~

I believe he said: "keep your mind from this way of enquiry; for never will you show that not-being is" I believe the point was brought up in Plato's Sophist to point out the futility of cynicism, the great tool of the Sophist.
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

I have a degree in logical positivism from university of woolamaloo.

As part of the wiener circle..
I spoke with Kirkegaard. Freud.. and Nietzches sister. [mmm]

Sorry.. i went ballistic
Tesla

Post by Tesla »

Hjarloprillar wrote:I have a degree in logical positivism from university of woolamaloo.

As part of the wiener circle..
I spoke with Kirkegaard. Freud.. and Nietzches sister. [mmm]

Sorry.. i went ballistic
I'm in a Philosophy class. I've read a few works from the 'great books of the western world' I was both disappointed and amazed that what I thought I had discovered as new turned out to have been some very old ideas. Still relevant today. The book for the philosophy class was written by a man named Solomon ironically enough. I do not always agree with him, but the terminology and the platonic grinding of ideas have helped guide my ever-evolving philosophy and ethics.

Everyone has a philosophy; some are just better defined than others. All it takes to be a philosopher is the desire to self-improve. Anyone who can recognize and even accept their ignorance is worthy of being a part of any philosophical discussion--in my opinion.
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

Tesla wrote:
I'm in a Philosophy class. I've read a few works from the 'great books of the western world' I was both disappointed and amazed that what I thought I had discovered as new turned out to have been some very old ideas. Still relevant today. The book for the philosophy class was written by a man named Solomon ironically enough. I do not always agree with him, but the terminology and the platonic grinding of ideas have helped guide my ever-evolving philosophy and ethics.

Everyone has a philosophy; some are just better defined than others. All it takes to be a philosopher is the desire to self-improve. Anyone who can recognize and even accept their ignorance is worthy of being a part of any philosophical discussion--in my opinion.

Nikola

Well said. And you may realize that you had those ideas before you read that someone else 'copyrighted them'

example in science.
I always 'knew space was a thing in itself'.. 10 years after i was 8 i read about it.

Is cogito ergo sum the only absolute truth.?
No
There are no absolutes.

Anyone who can recognize and even accept their ignorance is worthy of being a part of any philosophical discussion
Some of my friends call me the guy who knows everything...
untill
One party i said quite loudly.." its not that i know everything.. i know very little.. What it;s about is that you willfully try to know nothing."

truth hurts

prill
Tesla

Post by Tesla »

Hjarloprillar wrote:
Tesla wrote:

Nikola

Well said. And you may realize that you had those ideas before you read that someone else 'copyrighted them'

example in science.
I always 'knew space was a thing in itself'.. 10 years after i was 8 i read about it.

No
There are no absolutes.

Anyone who can recognize and even accept their ignorance is worthy of being a part of any philosophical discussion
untill
One party i said quite loudly.." its not that i know everything.. i know very little.. What it;s about is that you willfully try to know nothing."

truth hurts

prill
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

Tesla wrote:
Hjarloprillar wrote:
Tesla wrote:

Nikola

example in science.

No
There are no absolutes.

untill

truth hurts

prill
what the hell?
Tesla

Post by Tesla »

Hjarloprillar wrote:
what the hell?
One hand clapping. *grin*
Hjarloprillar

Post by Hjarloprillar »

Ah i see. but a bit obscure. ;)

pic > concept.

I had a dingo once.. a great dog..
'NEVER barked"

some turd ran over him.

I was 2 seconds from still being in goal for 1st degree murder. [25 years later]
My wife 'tackled' me on way to this guys car. literally.
She knew i would beat him to death. She saved my life.
And people talk about determinism and gods plan.. or accidents.
How did she know? Well maybe because i roared . Something i have yet to do again.
she said the most terrifying thing she ever heard.
We are not so helpless.. we define.

Prill's
diary
Tesla

Post by Tesla »

Hjarloprillar wrote:Ah i see. but a bit obscure. ;)

pic > concept.

I had a dingo once.. a great dog..
'NEVER barked"

some turd ran over him.

I was 2 seconds from still being in goal for 1st degree murder. [25 years later]
My wife 'tackled' me on way to this guys car. literally.
She knew i would beat him to death. She saved my life.
And people talk about determinism and gods plan.. or accidents.
How did she know? Well maybe because i roared . Something i have yet to do again.
she said the most terrifying thing she ever heard.
We are not so helpless.. we define.

Prill's
diary
I remember driving in fairly heavy bumper to bumper traffic down a two way road, and I was following this big truck. I came around a turn, a cars way from the truck just in time to see a man shaking his hands to stop desperately, and a little dog running in front of my car. it all happened in a space of two seconds...I ran over the dog, I felt so shitty, but I didn't stop. I figured stopping would only give the man a target for his rage, despite the fact I could never have stopped in time. I still feel bad about it, and it happed over a year ago.