Don't Vote

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bobevenson

Re: Don't Vote

Post by bobevenson »

John wrote:Ok Bob, if that's your interpretation then so be it. I don't think anyone else would agree with you though so on the matter of analysing a piece of text I think you're on your own there. You should at least be claiming no more than that someone from the Spiritual Counterfeits Project agreed with you (although I believe you to be completely wrong in this) but the organisation itself certainly does not agree with you now and possibly has never agreed with you.
It's true that only one person has ever acknowledged understanding the paper, much less being impressed by it.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

Pluto

Post by Pluto »

SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Regardless of the truth of the effectiveness of voting, it's the only civil means to voice your choice.
John

Post by John »

SpheresOfBalance wrote:
Regardless of the truth of the effectiveness of voting, it's the only civil means to voice your choice.
And not voting for political reasons is also indistinguishable from not voting for being a lazy slob reasons.
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

On our news this evening it was reported ..........."Journalist Bob Woodward had harsh words for former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney Tuesday, suggesting Romney went out of bounds with his comments made at a private fundraiser.

Woodward -- of Watergate Pulitzer Prize fame, a 41-year tenure at the Washington Post and 16 national bestsellers -- responded to the Republican presidential nominee's comments captured on video that nearly half the country feels entitled to government handouts, and that as a candidate he shouldn't worry about them.

"A lot of those people are Republicans," Woodward told the NewsHour in an interview. "And he kind of swept, with his mouth and his hand, them away. And that's outside the boundaries of the tradition of what we expect of a president."

Romney could learn a lesson from the incident and should apologize to the people he stereotyped, Woodward added."

Anyone agree, should he apologise?
John

Post by John »

reasonvemotion wrote:On our news this evening it was reported ..........."Journalist Bob Woodward had harsh words for former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney Tuesday, suggesting Romney went out of bounds with his comments made at a private fundraiser.

Woodward -- of Watergate Pulitzer Prize fame, a 41-year tenure at the Washington Post and 16 national bestsellers -- responded to the Republican presidential nominee's comments captured on video that nearly half the country feels entitled to government handouts, and that as a candidate he shouldn't worry about them.

"A lot of those people are Republicans," Woodward told the NewsHour in an interview. "And he kind of swept, with his mouth and his hand, them away. And that's outside the boundaries of the tradition of what we expect of a president."

Romney could learn a lesson from the incident and should apologize to the people he stereotyped, Woodward added."

Anyone agree, should he apologise?
It was a stupid thing to say because the only people likely to agree with him will already be voting for him. Whether he should apologise or not depends on whether the apology is sincere and as it won't be then what's the point? The most I would expect is a statement trying to add some more favourable context to his statement rather than a full apology because even if he did apologise it then looks like he wasn't being sincere with the people he made to original comments to and was just telling people what they wanted to hear. Everyone knows that politicians have a tendency to tell people what they want to hear but we generally don't like the facade to be revealed too blatantly.

The guy looks like a bit of a PR nightmare to be honest.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

John wrote:Everyone knows that politicians have a tendency to tell people what they want to hear.
The American Energy Party will never tell people what they want to hear, only what we want to tell them. If 100% of the people are against a particular position, the AEP's will not change one iota, pandering neither for a single vote nor a million.
John

Post by John »

bobevenson wrote:
John wrote:Everyone knows that politicians have a tendency to tell people what they want to hear.
The American Energy Party will never tell people what they want to hear, only what we want to tell them.
I wasn't counting internet fantasists as politicians I'm afraid.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Yes, it's all part of my rock 'n' roll fantasy, it's all part of my rock 'n' roll dream:

Rock 'N' Roll Fantasy
Bad Company

Hey! Yeah
Here come the jesters 1-2-3 It's all part of my fantasy
I love the music And I love to see the crowd
Dancin' in the aisles and singin' out loud Yeah Yeah
Here come the dancers 1 by 1 Your mama's callin' But you're havin' fun
You find you're dancin' on that number 9 cloud
Put your head together and sing it out loud
It's all part of my rock 'n' roll fantasy
Yeah It's all part of my rock 'n' roll dream Yeah

It's all part of my rock 'n' roll dream

Yeah Put out the spotlights one and all
Let the feelin' get down to your soul
The music's so loud You can hear the sound
Reachin' for the sky and tearin' up the ground

It's all part of my rock 'n' roll dream Oh yeah
It's all part of my rock 'n' roll dream Yeah
Fantasy Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah
Fantasy Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

"There is something profoundly wrong with our political system. Somehow, it’s like we’re stuck in Groundhog Day, in an endless repetition of the same old rituals, over and over again. Like some neurotic gambling addict, we just keep shuffling around the same deck of cards."

i agree

"(or “the ability to decide what needs/ought to be done”) has remained national, while power (or “the ability to get these things done”) all but evaporated into global flows."

i've seen it this way as well, (4 year terms, maybe 8, balance of power, checks and balances..) we elect someone holding out for everything within that person to be the hero of everything we want, we expect it to happen, we want it to happen...

"Hope abounds when the US elects its most progressive President in decades — but even he ends up bailing out Wall
Street at the expense of millions of families who lose their homes. Heck, he even keeps a personal kill list and forsakes his #1 election promise to close Guantanamo! In the UK, a Liberal leader pledges never to raise tuition fees — only to abandon this promise the moment he smells power."

yep, so what are we going to do about it? what alternative do we have?

"Like a flock of panicking sheep, voters head towards the political fringes, desperately clinging on to the idea that it’s the parties and their leaders who are at fault, not the system as such. Unwilling to face the reality of national governments that no longer possess true fiscal or monetary policy autonomy, voters continue to hate the player; not the game."

"In the process, national elections are reduced to some meaningless provincial popularity contest. Like “survivors” in some stupid reality TV show, politicians try their very best to avoid being voted off the island. Election campaigns degrade into marketing campaigns as the electorate is bombarded with flashy Google and TV ads, party posters and random party paraphernalia in the streets. An election victory is celebrated like a World Cup win. Somehow everyone seems to believe that this is a completely natural way of organizing society."

"Both ordinary citizens (those “too unsophisticated” for the spectacle) and critical thinkers (those “too sophisticated” for the new culture of one-liners) are filtered out of public view in a sort of quasi-natural selection process that systematically favors the technocratic mediocrity of bland career politicians over the great diversity and complexity of opinions that society has to offer. Given enough time, electoral politics automatically descends into some childish blame game that no one really takes seriously anymore."

reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

I would vote for THE ONE who can resolve the trillion dollar debt.

Has anyone mentioned that yet? If that is not resolved we all go under.
bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »

bus2bondi

Post by bus2bondi »