Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

Re: Philosophy of Mind

Post by henry quirk »

Darkneos wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:38 am
henry quirk wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:04 am
Darkneos wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:55 pmEvidence points to it just being the brain, no mind.
What evidence?
Everything in modern neuroscience and psychology:
Really?
henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:15 am
An idiot wrote: How are our "desires and motivations" able to "escape" a brain that is wholly in sync with the laws of matter?
Mebbe becuz mind is not a product of brain? A conclusion one might draw if one were familiar with the wholly on-the-ground-not-up-in-the-clouds results of split brain surgeries, hemispherectomies, and hands on, in the brain itself, surgical epilepsy treatments and research.

If mind is just brain product one might ask: how is it that severing the corpus callosum or removing half a brain, while physically debilitating, never affects identity or self or mind or I-ness? If mind is just brain product, how is the product is never touched by radical changes to, or subtractions from, the supposed source? If mind is just just brain product, how it is only physical seizures occur? If mind is just brain product why does no one have creativity seizures or mathematics seizures or desire seizures?

Further, if mind is just brain product, one would be justified in asking how does my brain generate "desires and motivations"? Where in my brain does my obstinacy live? What brain parts are involved? Where are my memories stored? How exactly does my brain make me?
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:39 pm

What evidence?
Really?
henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:15 am
An idiot wrote: How are our "desires and motivations" able to "escape" a brain that is wholly in sync with the laws of matter?
Mebbe becuz mind is not a product of brain? A conclusion one might draw if one were familiar with the wholly on-the-ground-not-up-in-the-clouds results of split brain surgeries, hemispherectomies, and hands on, in the brain itself, surgical epilepsy treatments and research.

If mind is just brain product one might ask: how is it that severing the corpus callosum or removing half a brain, while physically debilitating, never affects identity or self or mind or I-ness? If mind is just brain product, how is the product is never touched by radical changes to, or subtractions from, the supposed source? If mind is just just brain product, how it is only physical seizures occur? If mind is just brain product why does no one have creativity seizures or mathematics seizures or desire seizures?

Further, if mind is just brain product, one would be justified in asking how does my brain generate "desires and motivations"? Where in my brain does my obstinacy live? What brain parts are involved? Where are my memories stored? How exactly does my brain make me?
This betrays an ignorance of the brain and how it works. The brain itself is rather elastic in its ability to adapt to changes.

As for identity, we have proof affecting the brain does that. Phonies Gage was a prime example. But again it’s complicated, needless to say though the evidence backs this.

The part about seizures is just nonsense, not really sure what you’re trying to get at here.

Also trying to say where things “live” in the brain is ignorance. It’s a combination of different functions and areas in concert. You can’t just cut out an area to remove memory and yet damage to areas impacts the “mind” and other brain functions (again plenty of evidence). “I” ness is also a product of the brain as studies on meditators show.

Meanwhile the mind has no evidence for it. It’s a concept we made up to explain things before modern neuroscience and yet despite advances we still insist it exists without any evidence or reason.

All you’ve succeeded in doing is demonstrating an ignorance of neuroscience. God of the gaps is a bad argument dude.
Trajk Logik

Post by Trajk Logik »

Darkneos wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:55 pm
Trajk Logik wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:53 pm
Advocate wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:33 am Mind is a metaphor for the patterns on the brain which includes opinions, priorities, fears and desires, options, memories, experiences, knowledge, quirks, personality, character, consciousness, etc.
Seems to be the opposite to me. Mind is primary and you only know of brains and neurological patterns via the mind, so brains would be a metaphor, or model, of other minds. Minds model other minds as a perception of brains. Minds model the world as a perception of solid, static objects - think of converting analog to digital. The world is not made up of solid, static objects. It is more like the mind in that it is composed of information, processes, and/or relationships.
That’s just false. Evidence points to it just being the brain, no mind. All the modeling and studies show it. Mind is just an old and dated concept that has no evidence for it. Even if such a thing did exist there wouldn’t be anything for it to do.

Also mind can’t be primary and the world is very much made of solid static objects. What we call the “mind” is very much just brain processes. In fact everything you just mentioned is brain processes, not mind. We have no evidence for a mind.
Darkneos wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:55 pmEvidence points to it just being the brain, no mind.
What evidence?
Then Christof Koch should be getting that case of wine back from David Chalmers:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... n-settled/

Do you understand the concept of the philosophical zombie? Are you saying that you are a p-zombie in that you have no mind? Do you understand the concept of colors? Do you experience colors? Are you aware that science has also shown that colors don't really exist and colors are simply how we experience various wavelengths of reflected light? But how can we talk about them if they don't exist? What are we talking about?

When we describe the world, we are referring to our maps (mind) of the world. We do not directly perceive the world and can only ever talk about our maps. Visual illusions are great evidence that we do not see objects. We see light. When there is no light we cannot see. The evidence is there that naive realism is not the case and indirect realism is most likely the case, unless you're willing to accept solipsism with me as the solipsist (since you've admitted that you don't have a mind) and you only exist when I think of you.

We do not experience the inside of our brains. We don't experience neurons and their neural-electrical patterns as representing the world. We experience views from somewhere that are composed of colors, shapes, depth, empty space, sound, smells, feelings. We also experience memories and dreams that are also composed of colors, shapes, depth, empty space, sound, smells and feelings. How do "physical" brains create the experience of visual depth and empty space with neurons? Why do I experience you as a solid body with a brain, but cannot get to your experience that you have? Where do I look?

The observer effect in quantum mechanics explains that observing a system changes the system, or that measuring a system changes the system. I think we should take into account that when we talk about the world, we are really talking about our observations, not the system we are observing. It's not that observers are changing the system, the model is changing. It's another kind of visual illusion. We are confusing the map with the territory. So what you perceive to be solid brains in solid bodies is just a mental model of what is actually there, not what is actually there. What is there is information, relationships or processes (all three represent the fundamental nature of reality to some degree)...all the way down. Minds are a form of processed informational relationships (between you and the world). Brains are a processed visual information of other people's minds relative to yours, not their actual brain as that would be confusing the map with the territory. I think that if we were to incorporate a good theory of consciousness we could resolve the chasm between quantum and classical physics.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

Trajk Logik wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:11 am
Darkneos wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:55 pm
Trajk Logik wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:53 pm
Seems to be the opposite to me. Mind is primary and you only know of brains and neurological patterns via the mind, so brains would be a metaphor, or model, of other minds. Minds model other minds as a perception of brains. Minds model the world as a perception of solid, static objects - think of converting analog to digital. The world is not made up of solid, static objects. It is more like the mind in that it is composed of information, processes, and/or relationships.
That’s just false. Evidence points to it just being the brain, no mind. All the modeling and studies show it. Mind is just an old and dated concept that has no evidence for it. Even if such a thing did exist there wouldn’t be anything for it to do.

Also mind can’t be primary and the world is very much made of solid static objects. What we call the “mind” is very much just brain processes. In fact everything you just mentioned is brain processes, not mind. We have no evidence for a mind.

What evidence?
Then Christof Koch should be getting that case of wine back from David Chalmers:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... n-settled/

Do you understand the concept of the philosophical zombie? Are you saying that you are a p-zombie in that you have no mind? Do you understand the concept of colors? Do you experience colors? Are you aware that science has also shown that colors don't really exist and colors are simply how we experience various wavelengths of reflected light? But how can we talk about them if they don't exist? What are we talking about?

When we describe the world, we are referring to our maps (mind) of the world. We do not directly perceive the world and can only ever talk about our maps. Visual illusions are great evidence that we do not see objects. We see light. When there is no light we cannot see. The evidence is there that naive realism is not the case and indirect realism is most likely the case, unless you're willing to accept solipsism with me as the solipsist (since you've admitted that you don't have a mind) and you only exist when I think of you.

We do not experience the inside of our brains. We don't experience neurons and their neural-electrical patterns as representing the world. We experience views from somewhere that are composed of colors, shapes, depth, empty space, sound, smells, feelings. We also experience memories and dreams that are also composed of colors, shapes, depth, empty space, sound, smells and feelings. How do "physical" brains create the experience of visual depth and empty space with neurons? Why do I experience you as a solid body with a brain, but cannot get to your experience that you have? Where do I look?

The observer effect in quantum mechanics explains that observing a system changes the system, or that measuring a system changes the system. I think we should take into account that when we talk about the world, we are really talking about our observations, not the system we are observing. It's not that observers are changing the system, the model is changing. It's another kind of visual illusion. We are confusing the map with the territory. So what you perceive to be solid brains in solid bodies is just a mental model of what is actually there, not what is actually there. What is there is information, relationships or processes (all three represent the fundamental nature of reality to some degree)...all the way down. Minds are a form of processed informational relationships (between you and the world). Brains are a processed visual information of other people's minds relative to yours, not their actual brain as that would be confusing the map with the territory. I think that if we were to incorporate a good theory of consciousness we could resolve the chasm between quantum and classical physics.
That SA article was a whole lot of nothing. The answer “we don’t know” is fine, brains are complex. We at least know the brain is responsible for consciousness just not how exactly. That’s fine.

P-zombie is more about consciousness not mind. We have no evidence for the existence of mind, so you repeating it doesn’t make it real. Like I said all the functions we apply to “mind” is the brain. The brain is what makes color, not mind. I know color doesn’t exist “out there” it’s wavelengths our brains turn to color. We can talk about them because they do exist, because we all have brains. You’re not good at this.

Our “maps” of the world are reality, you seem to be misunderstanding what the brain is doing. Just because we don’t directly perceive it doesn’t mean we can’t understand and test and interact with it. Your brain doesn’t literally create reality and when we speak of reality we are talking about the actual thing. Visual illusions, again, is mistaken. It shows some errors that can happen but that doesn’t mean we don’t see objects. If you see a tree there is a tree, unless you want to test it by running into it. Again you’re not making a case for mind.

As for how the brain does those things, I don’t have a degree in the stuff so I couldn’t tell you. Suffice to say though you wouldn’t do any of that without the brain, which the evidence shows. In fact we know this so much we were able to create a specific optical illusion due to our modeling of the brain. As for the how, all I can really say is that it’s different areas working in concert. Vision is due to the visual cortex among other areas.

God of the gaps isn’t an argument, try harder.

Fourth paragraph is just wrong. Observation in quantum mechanics means any observation with the system, doesn’t mean consciousness. A changing model isn’t an example of a visual illusion and all we have are observations. Yet it’s through those observations you’re able to dig all this stuff up and use it badly. So you’re not getting anywhere here.

If you see solid brains in solid bodies then that’s what’s there and so far you haven’t really given anything to undermine that. It’s not just a mental model, it’s actually there. Unless you want to try cutting your skull open, though I wouldn’t recommend it.

There is information and processes, that correlate with real world objects. Plain and simple. What you are talking about as “mind” is just brain processes. The brain is what creates all this stuff, it processes information and creates associations. If you use certain drugs you can impact these functions in various ways. Brains aren’t processed visual information they are actual brains, you haven’t shown anything to indicate otherwise.

The last part about quantum and classic physics is just laughable.

Your entire little rant is “we don’t know everything therefor mind” which just isn’t true. Everything you’ve demonstrated so far is what the brain does, mind is just a term we use from a while ago but we have no evidence for it.

The map is the territory, that’s what it means to build knowledge on observations. The more you make the more reliable it becomes, such is science. And so far science shows there is no mind and everything we attributed to it is the brain.

You sound like a dualist who can’t accept reality. And like I said, god of the gaps is a VERY poor argument.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

I also wouldn’t be citing solipsism or p zombies against it either (weird they did in the SA article, guess they don’t get it). If it’s all the brain then we can prove other people are conscious and all that good stuff.

But if you want to keep clinging to mind then you’ll have to deal with solipsism. We can at least EXPLAIN optical illusions with science, if anything you citing them only proves me point, not diminish it .
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Darkneos wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:03 pm
The brain itself is rather elastic in its ability to adapt to changes.
No doubt. That elasticity doesn't really explain how someone with half a brain continues to be the person they were when they had a full brain. Elasticity, as explanation, doesn't cut the mustard. But, you know this.

As for identity, we have proof affecting the brain does that. Phonies Gage was a prime example. But again it’s complicated, needless to say though the evidence backs this.
henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:04 am
An idiot wrote: As for the entangled nature of mind, there are any number of afflictions -- from tumors to brain diseases -- that can have a profound impact on the manner in which the self is grasped by any particular individual. And then pertaining to the behaviors he or she chooses.
One who pays attention to what's actually going on in the wholly on-the-ground-not-up-in-the-clouds research knows tumors to brain diseases often have devastating physical effects but none at all on the coherence and continuity of the I behind the eyes.

Stella's dementia is confusing and frustrating for her becuz she, the person, the mind, the I, is trapped in it. Stella hasn't become a different person, only a trapped one who acts accordingly.

Joe's brain tumor affects his sight, his mobility, his continence. He's angry about it. He's trapped, not changed.

Lucinda's Tourettes embarrasses her. The tics, the vocalizations, trap her, not turn her into a different person.

The topper is Phineas P. Gage. A large iron rod was driven completely through his head, destroying much of his brain's left frontal lobe. Supposedly the injury effected his personality and behavior over the remaining 12 years of his life. Gage is often held up as an evidence mind is brain product.

How else can you explain his personality change, Henry?

I reckon having a disfiguring, debilitating injury would sour me too. I wouldn't be a different person, just an awfully disgruntled one.

The part about seizures is just nonsense, not really sure what you’re trying to get at here.
Sure you do. Epilepsy doesn't discriminate. As Wilder Penfield observed in his epilepsy research: in mapping people’s brains -- and he mapped upwards of a thousand people -- he would initiate hundreds of individual stimulations of the surface of the brain to see what happened. And people would have all sorts of things happen. They would have their arm move or they would feel a tingling or they would see a flash of light. Or sometimes they’d have a memory or they would have an impediment. Sometimes they couldn’t speak for a minute or two after a certain spot was touched.

But Penfield noted that, in probably hundreds of thousands of different individual stimulations, he never once stimulated the power of reason. He never stimulated the intellect. He never stimulated a person to do calculus or to think of an abstract concept like justice or mercy.

All the stimulations were concrete things: Move your arm or feel a tingling or even a concrete memory, like you remember your grandmother’s face or something. But there was never any abstract thought stimulated.

And Penfield said hey, if the brain is the source of abstract thought, once in a while, putting an electrical current on some part of the cortex, I ought to get an abstract thought. He never, ever did. So he said that the obvious explanation for that is that abstract thought doesn’t come from the brain.

The other line of reasoning that he had, which is kind of related to this, is that, since he was a pioneer in the treatment of epilepsy, not only did he study the surgical manifestations of epilepsy but he also studied the presentation of seizures that people would have in their everyday life. So he studied hundreds of thousands of seizures that people had and he never found any seizure that had intellectual content. Seizures never involved abstract reasoning.

When people have seizures, sometimes they have a generalized seizure. Sometimes they just fall on the ground and go unconscious. Or sometimes they’ll have what’s called a focal seizure where they’ll have a twitching of a finger or a twitching of a limb or they’ll have tingling feeling, the same kind of things that he got when he stimulated the surface of the brain. But nobody ever had a calculus seizure. Nobody ever have a seizure where they couldn’t stop doing arithmetic. Or couldn’t stop doing logic.

And he said, why is that? If arithmetic and logic and all that abstract thought come from the brain, every once in a while you ought to get a seizure that makes it happen. So he asked rhetorically, why are there no intellectual seizures? His answer was, because the intellect doesn’t come from the brain.

His third line of reasoning was the following: He would ask people to move their arm during the surgery. So he’d be playing around with their brain. And he’d say. “Whenever you want to, move your right arm.” The person would move their arm.
And, once in a while, he’d stimulate the part of the brain that made the arm move. And they moved their arm also when he did that. And then he would ask them, “I want you to tell me when I’m making your arm move and when you’re moving your arm without me making you do it. Tell me if you can tell the difference.” And the patients could always tell the difference.

The patients always knew that when he stimulated their arm, it was him doing it, not them. And when they stimulated their arm, they were doing it, not him. So Penfield said, he couldn’t stimulate the will. He could never trick the patients into thinking it was them doing it. He said, the patients always retained a correct sense of agency. They always know if they did it or if he did it.

So he said the will was not something he could stimulate, meaning it was not material.

So he had three lines of evidence: His inability to stimulate intellectual thought, the inability of seizures to cause intellectual thought, and his inability to stimulate the will. … So he concluded that the intellect and the will are not from the brain.
- Michael Egnor

Also trying to say where things “live” in the brain is ignorance.
Of course not. You say It’s a combination of different functions and areas in concert and “I”ness is also a product of the brain. Please, explain these functions and areas: what they are and how they interact.

God of the gaps is a bad argument dude.
So is promissory materialism.

We regard promissory materialism as superstition without a rational foundation. The more we discover about the brain, the more clearly do we distinguish between the brain events and the mental phenomena, and the more wonderful do both the brain events and the mental phenomena become. Promissory materialism is simply a religious belief held by dogmatic materialists . . . who often confuse their religion with their science. -John C. Eccles
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:57 pm No doubt. That elasticity doesn't really explain how someone with half a brain continues to be the person they were when they had a full brain. Elasticity, as explanation, doesn't cut the mustard. But, you know this.
There's also the guy missing 90% of his brain.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as ... -1.3679125

There's also....
In 1980, neurologist John Lorber wrote about a similar case involving a patient with honors in mathematics, an IQ of 126, and “virtually no brain.” His brain was incredibly thin—up to 75 percent smaller than normal.

Lorber has studied more than 600 such patients. While many were disabled, others touted IQs over 100.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

No doubt. That elasticity doesn't really explain how someone with half a brain continues to be the person they were when they had a full brain. Elasticity, as explanation, doesn't cut the mustard. But, you know this.
It actually does cut the mustard. Like I said, the brain is quite adaptable when it comes to changes in it. But people without half a brain don't continue to be the person they were, there are changes in how they can process information around them. There are also numerous instances of people changing completely due to brain damage, tumors, etc. Even drugs and alcohol can do the same. Again the research bears this out.
One who pays attention to what's actually going on in the wholly on-the-ground-not-up-in-the-clouds research knows tumors to brain diseases often have devastating physical effects but none at all on the coherence and continuity of the I behind the eyes.

Stella's dementia is confusing and frustrating for her becuz she, the person, the mind, the I, is trapped in it. Stella hasn't become a different person, only a trapped one who acts accordingly.

Joe's brain tumor affects his sight, his mobility, his continence. He's angry about it. He's trapped, not changed.

Lucinda's Tourettes embarrasses her. The tics, the vocalizations, trap her, not turn her into a different person.

The topper is Phineas P. Gage. A large iron rod was driven completely through his head, destroying much of his brain's left frontal lobe. Supposedly the injury effected his personality and behavior over the remaining 12 years of his life. Gage is often held up as an evidence mind is brain product.

How else can you explain his personality change, Henry?

I reckon having a disfiguring, debilitating injury would sour me too. I wouldn't be a different person, just an awfully disgruntled one.
There is no person trapped by the dementia, that person doesn't exist anymore. Again they are trying to reference some kind of "I" or "mind" that doesn't exist and they have no evidence for. Someone with dementia isn't trapped in it, there is no soul watching this all unfold. No ghost in the machine. With the brain tumor he's not trapped, and as I said people can "become different people" if they have a brain tumor. Same with Tourretes.

They like to think a brain injury wouldn't change them, but it most definitely would. Because, again, you are the brain. So far we have no evidence of people functioning without one.
And Penfield said hey, if the brain is the source of abstract thought, once in a while, putting an electrical current on some part of the cortex, I ought to get an abstract thought. He never, ever did. So he said that the obvious explanation for that is that abstract thought doesn’t come from the brain.

Citing a dated neuroscientist doesn't make your case, the field has advanced leaps since him. But to beat a dead horse, "it's not that simple".
But Penfield noted that, in probably hundreds of thousands of different individual stimulations, he never once stimulated the power of reason. He never stimulated the intellect. He never stimulated a person to do calculus or to think of an abstract concept like justice or mercy.

All the stimulations were concrete things: Move your arm or feel a tingling or even a concrete memory, like you remember your grandmother’s face or something. But there was never any abstract thought stimulated.

The other line of reasoning that he had, which is kind of related to this, is that, since he was a pioneer in the treatment of epilepsy, not only did he study the surgical manifestations of epilepsy but he also studied the presentation of seizures that people would have in their everyday life. So he studied hundreds of thousands of seizures that people had and he never found any seizure that had intellectual content. Seizures never involved abstract reasoning.

When people have seizures, sometimes they have a generalized seizure. Sometimes they just fall on the ground and go unconscious. Or sometimes they’ll have what’s called a focal seizure where they’ll have a twitching of a finger or a twitching of a limb or they’ll have tingling feeling, the same kind of things that he got when he stimulated the surface of the brain. But nobody ever had a calculus seizure. Nobody ever have a seizure where they couldn’t stop doing arithmetic. Or couldn’t stop doing logic.

And he said, why is that? If arithmetic and logic and all that abstract thought come from the brain, every once in a while you ought to get a seizure that makes it happen. So he asked rhetorically, why are there no intellectual seizures? His answer was, because the intellect doesn’t come from the brain.

His third line of reasoning was the following: He would ask people to move their arm during the surgery. So he’d be playing around with their brain. And he’d say. “Whenever you want to, move your right arm.” The person would move their arm.
And, once in a while, he’d stimulate the part of the brain that made the arm move. And they moved their arm also when he did that. And then he would ask them, “I want you to tell me when I’m making your arm move and when you’re moving your arm without me making you do it. Tell me if you can tell the difference.” And the patients could always tell the difference.

The patients always knew that when he stimulated their arm, it was him doing it, not them. And when they stimulated their arm, they were doing it, not him. So Penfield said, he couldn’t stimulate the will. He could never trick the patients into thinking it was them doing it. He said, the patients always retained a correct sense of agency. They always know if they did it or if he did it.

So he said the will was not something he could stimulate, meaning it was not material.

So he had three lines of evidence: His inability to stimulate intellectual thought, the inability of seizures to cause intellectual thought, and his inability to stimulate the will. … So he concluded that the intellect and the will are not from the brain. - Michael Egnor
Never mind that asking people whether they were tricked or not is poor methodology, it was clear that the brain is responsible for making their arms move. You could make the argument that they were saying which time they chose to and which time he poked them, but neither one shows a mind. So wrong again. Again, dated neuroscientist, means nothing.

The will is most certainly a function of the brain though, assuming there is such a thing as the will. I could cite how cults did use drugs to influence and manipulate people during the 60's or how alcohol makes people more compliant, etc. Again, wrong.

And obviously a seizure is a physical thing, that's what they are, to call something an arithmetic or logic seizure is just nonsense and proves nothing. His reasoning is flawed though. Not to mention you can't measure an arithmetic or logic seizure in a lab, but also saying that ever once in a while you get a seizure that should make it happen is stupid. Only about 1.2 percent of the population gets them. But again, dude is old in terms of scientific knowledge and the research has advanced years since his time. We've shown him to be wrong, the intellect is a function of the brain.

But again this is a "god of the gaps". I don't know therefor mind.
Of course not. You say It’s a combination of different functions and areas in concert and “I”ness is also a product of the brain. Please, explain these functions and areas: what they are and how they interact.
I can say that meditators show this. When studied they have reduced bloodflow to the area of the brain that is responsible for the boundaries between your body and the world, dissolving that sense of "I"ness. We are also able to replicate this with drugs and stimulating that area with magnets.
So is promissory materialism.

We regard promissory materialism as superstition without a rational foundation. The more we discover about the brain, the more clearly do we distinguish between the brain events and the mental phenomena, and the more wonderful do both the brain events and the mental phenomena become. Promissory materialism is simply a religious belief held by dogmatic materialists . . . who often confuse their religion with their science. -John C. Eccles
Literally how science works. The amount of people who take "we don't know therefor god" as an argument is frankly tragic. Science accepts it doesn't know everything and the point is to get there, but people take that to mean that they can horn in what they want. Doesn't change you have no evidence of mind.

I know John Eccles, a tragic example of Nobel disease. Guy makes a significant contribution and then devolves to crankery. Again, dated neuroscientists, the field is way beyond them now. Nevermind that just quoting the dude means nothing. The more we learn about the brain the less reason there is to suspect a mind, that's the trend so far. Dualists just hide behind consciousness being hard to solve because they've lost everything else.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

Iwannaplato wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:55 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:57 pm No doubt. That elasticity doesn't really explain how someone with half a brain continues to be the person they were when they had a full brain. Elasticity, as explanation, doesn't cut the mustard. But, you know this.
There's also the guy missing 90% of his brain.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as ... -1.3679125

There's also....
In 1980, neurologist John Lorber wrote about a similar case involving a patient with honors in mathematics, an IQ of 126, and “virtually no brain.” His brain was incredibly thin—up to 75 percent smaller than normal.

Lorber has studied more than 600 such patients. While many were disabled, others touted IQs over 100.
This is definitely something that merits study.

Though all this really proves is that the brain is more marvelous, and complicated, than we initially thought.
Trajk Logik

Post by Trajk Logik »

Darkneos wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:58 am P-zombie is more about consciousness not mind. We have no evidence for the existence of mind, so you repeating it doesn’t make it real. Like I said all the functions we apply to “mind” is the brain. The brain is what makes color, not mind. I know color doesn’t exist “out there” it’s wavelengths our brains turn to color. We can talk about them because they do exist, because we all have brains. You’re not good at this.
That doesn't follow and you're weak attempts of character attacks doesn't help your case. You don't score any points for ad hominems. HOW does brain make colors if colors don't exist "out there"? Are brains part of the "out there" or the "in here"? If they are part of the "out there" and colors don't exist "out there", then that is a contradiction. How does a brain convert wavelengths to color from "out there" to "in here"? What is the difference between "out there" and "in here" if they are both part of the same world and have causal relationships, ie how do processes "out there" cause effects "in here"? How is the distinction between "out there" and "in here" even useful? It's not. It's all part of the same world and same substance. The mind-body problem is resolved by understanding that the world is more like the mind than the "physical" world. Thinking that the world is more "physical" things is what creates the mind-body problem.

Consciousness is awareness and you are aware via the mind. To say that you have a mind is the same as saying that you are aware. How are you aware. What form does your awareness take? How do you know that you are aware (conscious) if not by having a mind? To say that you are aware that the apple is ripe is the same as saying the apple is red.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

Trajk Logik wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:01 pm
Darkneos wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:58 am P-zombie is more about consciousness not mind. We have no evidence for the existence of mind, so you repeating it doesn’t make it real. Like I said all the functions we apply to “mind” is the brain. The brain is what makes color, not mind. I know color doesn’t exist “out there” it’s wavelengths our brains turn to color. We can talk about them because they do exist, because we all have brains. You’re not good at this.
That doesn't follow and you're weak attempts of character attacks doesn't help your case. You don't score any points for ad hominems. HOW does brain make colors if colors don't exist "out there"? Are brains part of the "out there" or the "in here"? If they are part of the "out there" and colors don't exist "out there", then that is a contradiction. How does a brain convert wavelengths to color from "out there" to "in here"? What is the difference between "out there" and "in here" if they are both part of the same world and have causal relationships, ie how do processes "out there" cause effects "in here"? How is the distinction between "out there" and "in here" even useful? It's not. It's all part of the same world and same substance. The mind-body problem is resolved by understanding that the world is more like the mind than the "physical" world. Thinking that the world is more "physical" things is what creates the mind-body problem.

Consciousness is awareness and you are aware via the mind. To say that you have a mind is the same as saying that you are aware. How are you aware. What form does your awareness take? How do you know that you are aware (conscious) if not by having a mind? To say that you are aware that the apple is ripe is the same as saying the apple is red.
Ad Homs are the only response to god of the gaps arguments. You’re essentially referencing your own ignorance for why things are as you claim.

It does follow. P Zombie is more about whether something is conscious not about a mind. We can’t measure a mind.

As for how the brains make colors, complicated (especially since I don’t have a degree). But they are part of the “out there”, like I said they aren’t separate nor are they ghosts in machines. Effectively there is no “out there” or “in here”.

Them being part of the out there isn’t a contradiction with colors, you might want to google that word before using it. Colors are “out there” in that they are wavelengths of light, which we can measure. Our brains just turn that into color. For more evidence that it’s the brain color blindness is genetic.

You’re splitting out there and in here in ways that don’t align. They affect each other because they exist in the same reality, or just reality. If you are position some mind that is somehow a part of and yet not tied to material stuff then you’re the one with the issue not materialism, it’s chugging along just fine. There is a reason idealism failed and why it usually ends in solipsism.

There is no mind body problem because there is no mind. Again you’re projecting your issues onto the world. Dualism died a while ago thanks to neuroscience. The world is like the physical world, not the mind. That’s why you can just will shit to happen and when we can conduct experiments and junk. Our brains make a best guess of the world around them, if they didn’t we’d have died.

You aren’t aware via the mind, you’re aware via the brain. It’s why we can turn consciousness on and off by stimulating the brain. Mind and awareness aren’t linked, you’re just tacking on something that you can’t show exists while we have evidence for the brain. We know the brain is responsible for consciousness, just not how.
To say that you are aware that the apple is ripe is the same as saying the apple is red.
No it’s not. You can measure ripeness you can’t measure redness.

Again this is just god of the gaps nonsense. The only difference is you have no evidence for mind. Like I said, it was a useful concept in the past when we didn’t know better, but now we do.

Please try harder, this is boring.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Darkneos wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:55 pm
Literally how science works.
❓

The amount of people who take "we don't know therefor god" as an argument is frankly tragic.
Who brought up God?

Science accepts it doesn't know everything and the point is to get there
You obviously don't know what promissory materialism is.

but people take that to mean that they can horn in what they want.
Oh my.

Doesn't change you have no evidence of mind.
More have you have there isn't.

Nevermind that just quoting the dude means nothing.
It illustrates *this...
What evidence?
*Everything in modern neuroscience and psychology:
...is manure.

The more we learn about the brain the less reason there is to suspect a mind, that's the trend so far.
Quite the opposite, actually. I suspect, though, anything I offer, no matter what, no matter the source, will be dismissed.

Dualists just hide behind consciousness being hard to solve because they've lost everything else.
I'm not a dualist.

'nuff said.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:17 pm
Darkneos wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:55 pm
Literally how science works.
❓

The amount of people who take "we don't know therefor god" as an argument is frankly tragic.
Who brought up God?

Science accepts it doesn't know everything and the point is to get there
You obviously don't know what promissory materialism is.

but people take that to mean that they can horn in what they want.
Oh my.

Doesn't change you have no evidence of mind.
More have you have there isn't.

Nevermind that just quoting the dude means nothing.
It illustrates *this...

What evidence?
*Everything in modern neuroscience and psychology:
...is manure.

The more we learn about the brain the less reason there is to suspect a mind, that's the trend so far.
Quite the opposite, actually. I suspect, though, anything I offer, no matter what, no matter the source, will be dismissed.

Dualists just hide behind consciousness being hard to solve because they've lost everything else.
I'm not a dualist.

'nuff said.
Again quoting the dude means nothing, especially considering how he tried to propagate quantum consciousness.

God of the gaps doesn’t have to mean god just any pet theory someone has.

I know what promissory materialism means but for all Poppers good points he’s got that one mistaken. The whole point of science is to get there eventually or sometimes accept we can’t know. So far materialism seems to explain most of reality quite well according to experiments while you have…nothing besides the gaps in materialism.

The rest of this is just a nothing burger. The people you have cited or quoted are ancient when it comes to the pace neuroscience is advancing over the past 20 years. In short what they think doesn’t matter.

Whether you are a dualist or not is irrelevant, so far you have nothing of substance. It just points at “science doesn’t know X” therefor “it’s mind”. Not only is that a fallacy already stated but is effectively argument from ignorance.

Mind is something people say exists yet haven’t been able to prove. Your arguments are effectively the same as theists, using gaps in knowledge to argue for your magic.
Trajk Logik

Post by Trajk Logik »

Darkneos wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:15 pm Ad Homs are the only response to god of the gaps arguments. You’re essentially referencing your own ignorance for why things are as you claim.
I haven't mentioned god, you have. I'm an atheist and have been talking in terms of "processes", "relationships" and "information", not "spirits", "ghosts" and "souls". Get your head out of your ass so that we can stop talking past each other.
Darkneos wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:15 pm It does follow. P Zombie is more about whether something is conscious not about a mind. We can’t measure a mind.
How does one measure consciousness?
Darkneos wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:15 pm No it’s not. You can measure ripeness you can’t measure redness.

Again this is just god of the gaps nonsense. The only difference is you have no evidence for mind. Like I said, it was a useful concept in the past when we didn’t know better, but now we do.

Of course you can measure redness. What is a measurement if not a comparison of similar aspects, like change (time), and length? Measuring red would simply be comparing varying degrees of red compared to other colors. The redder the apple the riper the apple. The more brown/black the apple, the more rotten the apple. You simply aren't imaginative enough and assume way too much.
Darkneos

Post by Darkneos »

Trajk Logik wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:13 pm
Darkneos wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:15 pm Ad Homs are the only response to god of the gaps arguments. You’re essentially referencing your own ignorance for why things are as you claim.
I haven't mentioned god, you have. I'm an atheist and have been talking in terms of "processes", "relationships" and "information", not "spirits", "ghosts" and "souls". Get your head out of your ass so that we can stop talking past each other.
Darkneos wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:15 pm It does follow. P Zombie is more about whether something is conscious not about a mind. We can’t measure a mind.
How does one measure consciousness?
Darkneos wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:15 pm No it’s not. You can measure ripeness you can’t measure redness.

Of course you can measure redness. What is a measurement if not a comparison of similar aspects, like change (time), and length? Measuring red would simply be comparing varying degrees of red compared to other colors. The redder the apple the riper the apple. The more brown/black the apple, the more rotten the apple. You simply aren't imaginative enough and assume way too much.
We aren’t talking past each other. You’re advocating for mind, which there is no evidence for. Everything else you have mentioned. Processes, relationships, and information are all the domain of the brain. That’s pretty much settled.

As for how one measures consciousness, can’t really say for sure.

Incorrect, you cannot measure redness because redness doesn’t exist “out there” in that it’s color. Red is effectively whatever red say is red, so you can’t really measure it because red to you could be “brown” to another. There is no way to measure an amount of red in something. Now wavelengths yes, we can measure that, and yes our brains turn that into color. But if you try to demonstrate redness to someone else you’ll fail to it they don’t already agree what it is prior to it, which we as a society do.

The redder an apple is doesn’t mean it’s riper, there isn’t a link between the two. What of apples that aren’t red? What if someone can’t see red a la color blind?

Like, your arguments just get stupider with each post. It’s ironic that you think I assume too much when that’s literally your whole argument so far.

Measurement is more than just change over time.