Philosophy of Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Re: Philosophy of Mind

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 2:02 pm
You do not know America's history of imperialism you need to read some books.
I know the history: that imperialism came from, comes from, Washington, not the farmlands, from the capital, not some burg.

What does comes from the farmlands, from the burgs, are the bodies hoodwinked, or flat-out forced, to do the dirty work.

Name the imperialism: it came from, comes from, one place...The State.

You suggest I read books; I suggest you step away from books and talk to your fellows. Once you get past, or underneath, the canned responses, you'll find most folks frown at adventurisms and are none too pleased with the finer clay who presume to rule and direct. Be mindful, though, the closer you get to seats of power -- local, regional, state, national -- the fewer Americans you'll find.
'The state' is always going to be a fixture unless there is a catastrophic event that decimates populations and communications so that rule of law is no longer possible.

If the state as it is does not please you then change it. But for goodness sake first equip yourself with the best information!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

The state' is always going to be a fixture
Why?
If the state as it is does not please you then change it.
How?
But for goodness sake first equip yourself with the best information!
You first.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:01 pm
Why?
How?
You first.
I have already asked you how small a state has to be before you would accept it. You had agreed that a consortium of three farmers working for the common good to dig a well were doing the right thing. You have not replied to that question "How large/small?"

Vote. Peacefully demonstrate. Join a society or a church or something like that.

If you do it that is a signal and a sign others will do so too.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Belinda wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:38 pm
Why?
How?
You first.
*I have already asked you how small a state has to be before you would accept it. **You had agreed that a consortium of three farmers working for the common good to dig a well were doing the right thing. You have not replied to that question "How large/small?"

***Vote. ****Peacefully demonstrate. *****Join a society or a church or something like that.

******If you do it that is a signal and a sign others will do so too.
*Honestly, I don't remember you askin' such a thing, so I'll answer as though this is the first time: no State is acceptable to me. At no point do I say well, it's only only a 100 or 10 or 1 with a big stick to wield against me and I'm okay with that.

**But that ain't The State or a State. That's 3 workin' together voluntarily, perhaps contractin' with one another voluntarily. By definition, no iteration of The State is a voluntary event and no iteration of The State is flat with all parties bein' on the same level.

***No, votin' -- with a few exceptions -- is a dead end. 9 cannibals vote to eat the missionary, 9 wolves vote to eat the lamb, etc. Votin' is sayin' we, the majority, becuz we're the majority, will do with your life, your liberty, your property, as we please. Votin' perpetuates The State.

****Another dead end. Let's mob together and make a public show of ourselves. Protests, peaceful or otherwise, are intimidation tactics. Look at us and tremble, do as we demand or we'll get nasty. Me: I just wanna be left alone. Buryin' myself in a mob is the opposite of that. Me: I just wanna get on with my business and leave others be to do the same. Organized resistance means leadin' or followin', and I'll do neither.

*****Join this, join that: variations of a dead end theme. En-cogify yourself. Be a piece in a machine.

No.

******I was bein' snarky, B. It seems to me: you're the one who needs better info. Me: I think I'm quite up to date.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

To bottomline it: there is a war...it's the same war that's been at play since before man fell out of the tree: the free man vs slaver.

The State is a slaver construct: there can be no accommodation with it or the folks who run it or serve it.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:06 pm To bottomline it: there is a war...it's the same war that's been at play since before man fell out of the tree: the free man vs slaver.

The State is a slaver construct: there can be no accommodation with it or the folks who run it or serve it.
Proof of henry's statement is historically visible it is spelled colonialism. Most European countries have practiced it, the British did it in grand brutal style but it is a pale example to today's American colonialism. As has been stated before American exceptionalism is the seed of fascism the names/terms may change but basically, it is a parasitic relationship forced upon the weaker nations generally not considered white.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

popeye1945 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:33 pm
henry quirk wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:06 pm To bottomline it: there is a war...it's the same war that's been at play since before man fell out of the tree: the free man vs slaver.

Proof of henry's statement is historically visible it is spelled colonialism. Most European countries have practiced it, the British did it in grand brutal style but it is a pale example to today's American colonialism. As has been stated before American exceptionalism is the seed of fascism the names/terms may change but basically, it is a parasitic relationship forced upon the weaker nations generally not considered white.
close, but no cee-gar
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Are you speaking with authority about those wretched monkey wars! Maybe you would like to expand on your statement. I don't smoke anyway.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

popeye1945 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:51 pm Are you speaking with authority about those wretched monkey wars! Maybe you would like to *expand on your statement. I don't smoke anyway.
*Oh, I've stated my case up-thread.

Summin' up: The State, any and every iteration, any- and every-where -- stretchin' back to the first of the finer clay, decked out in his finest Mastodon skins, who claimed, while swingin' a club, he could solve everyone's problems after they all took a knee to him -- is source of all woes.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:48 pm
popeye1945 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:51 pm Are you speaking with authority about those wretched monkey wars! Maybe you would like to *expand on your statement. I don't smoke anyway.

Summin' up: The State, any and every iteration, any- and every-where -- stretchin' back to the first of the finer clay, decked out in his finest Mastodon skins, who claimed, while swingin' a club, he could solve everyone's problems after they all took a knee to him -- is source of all woes.
Rubbish.
For two reasons.
1. There are plenty of other sources of woes. Anyone with half an imagination could think of several.
2. Since the history of humankind since the mammoth hunters is unknown you cannot possibly have enough evidence to make your case.
run along with your hyperbole.
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:48 pm

henry,

Yes, I think I see your point speaking of colonialism is talking of the symptomology rather than what is innate to the human complex. You seem also to be making the Villian those who would-be leaders. Perhaps the problem with the aggressiveness of power is that so many in all countries are represented by psychopaths, they do tend to rise to the top in the field of politics.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

There are plenty of other sources of woes. Anyone with half an imagination could think of several.
Since the history of humankind since the mammoth hunters is unknown you cannot possibly have enough evidence to make your case.
These are the kind of *observations I'd expect from age, not you.

*no appreciation of context; too damned literal
Last edited by henry quirk on Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

You seem also to be making the Villian those who would-be leaders. Perhaps the problem with the aggressiveness of power is that so many in all countries are represented by psychopaths, they do tend to rise to the top in the field of politics.
👍
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:41 pm
Belinda wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:38 pm

Why?

How?

You first.
*I have already asked you how small a state has to be before you would accept it. **You had agreed that a consortium of three farmers working for the common good to dig a well were doing the right thing. You have not replied to that question "How large/small?"

***Vote. ****Peacefully demonstrate. *****Join a society or a church or something like that.

******If you do it that is a signal and a sign others will do so too.
*Honestly, I don't remember you askin' such a thing, so I'll answer as though this is the first time: no State is acceptable to me. At no point do I say well, it's only only a 100 or 10 or 1 with a big stick to wield against me and I'm okay with that.

**But that ain't The State or a State. That's 3 workin' together voluntarily, perhaps contractin' with one another voluntarily. By definition, no iteration of The State is a voluntary event and no iteration of The State is flat with all parties bein' on the same level.

***No, votin' -- with a few exceptions -- is a dead end. 9 cannibals vote to eat the missionary, 9 wolves vote to eat the lamb, etc. Votin' is sayin' we, the majority, becuz we're the majority, will do with your life, your liberty, your property, as we please. Votin' perpetuates The State.

****Another dead end. Let's mob together and make a public show of ourselves. Protests, peaceful or otherwise, are intimidation tactics. Look at us and tremble, do as we demand or we'll get nasty. Me: I just wanna be left alone. Buryin' myself in a mob is the opposite of that. Me: I just wanna get on with my business and leave others be to do the same. Organized resistance means leadin' or followin', and I'll do neither.

*****Join this, join that: variations of a dead end theme. En-cogify yourself. Be a piece in a machine.

No.

******I was bein' snarky, B. It seems to me: you're the one who needs better info. Me: I think I'm quite up to date.
That answer seems clear enough. You want rule by consensus of whatever number of persons can personally get together and discuss what's to be done. I presume you also want a great many local networks instead of a central state.

Many (or most) would agree that it's best whenever possible to do without a central authority making laws.

You are far too optimistic about human nature if you believe thieves, colonisers, and murderers can be controlled by networks of friendly neighbours. Some bad man will come along and threaten to poison that well unless the farmers pay him safety money. Eventually they have to elect and pay a full time sheriff with a gun. This is expensive so they have to amalgamate with other farmers to pay the sheriff's wages and build a jail.And so forth.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

B,
You want rule by consensus of whatever number of persons can personally get together and discuss what's to be done.
No.
I presume you also want a great many local networks instead of a central state.
Yes.
Many (or most) would agree that it's best whenever possible to do without a central authority making laws.
There's a helluva lot of domesticated folks millin' about. I'm not sure right now where the wind blows.
You are far too optimistic about human nature if you believe thieves, colonisers, and murderers can be controlled by networks of friendly neighbours.
I never anything along those lines.
Some bad man will come along and threaten to poison that well unless the farmers pay him safety money.
So: shoot him and be done with it.
Eventually they have to elect and pay a full time sheriff with a gun.
No. Each and every one needs to grow a pair. When the wolf is at your door: shoot it.
This is expensive so they have to amalgamate with other farmers to pay the sheriff's wages and build a jail.And so forth.
No. Grow a pair, arm yourself, deal with it in the moment.