Does Surveillance Make Us Morally Better?

Latest news of Philosophy Now

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tbieter

Does Surveillance Make Us Morally Better?

Post by tbieter »

ala1993

Re: Does Surveillance Make Us Morally Better?

Post by ala1993 »

Perhaps morality implies surveillance. By this, I mean a certain degree of self and public supervision where we are concerned about the behaviour of ourselves and others. As such, it is not morality but rather surveillance which comes first - the latter is the condition for the former insofar as morality requires reflection on a situation and an attempt to work out what is the 'best' or 'right' thing to do (although the two are different; the former, as an outcome, is the object of utilitarianism while the latter is a deontological judgement). Put simply, morality comes about as a result of being watched.

Now, I don't necessarily mean that we only act in regards to moral judgement when we feel we are being watched; rather, I mean that the reflection involved in moral activity presupposes an understanding of the distinction between the self-as-agent and the object/aim of the activity. We are 'concerned' about ourselves insofar as we are aiming to 'do the right thing', whatever it may be. We might not even look to others for advice (or even simply to watch what they are doing); we merely have to be aware that, at that moment, the opportunity for moral activity urges us to act. In this moment, we are aware of ourselves; we are watching ourselves.
Wootah

Post by Wootah »

Ala1993 wrote:Perhaps morality implies surveillance...In this moment, we are aware of ourselves; we are watching ourselves.
That's interesting. I would call morality self surveillance after reading your post.
ala1993

Post by ala1993 »

If you don't mind, I'm going to start a thread offering this idea up to the rest of the forum.