Lorikeet

Hi!

Post by Lorikeet »

How long does this vetting ritual take?
Has it kept the "baddies" out?
RickLewis

Re: Hi!

Post by RickLewis »

Up to a point, yes it has. There are many spambot postings every week that never see the light of day on the forum because of the setting system. We look at them , realise they are spam, and kick the spambot off he forum. I think without the vetting system this forum would be completely unmanageable, drowning in nonsense, scams and adverts.

Having said which, AI is making the spambots harder and harder to detect. Their programmers know the system, so the bots now sometimes make an innocuous and convincing post or two, in order to get approved as forum members, before they start slipping in the promotional links.
Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet »

How long does my penance last?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

RickLewis wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:57 pm Up to a point, yes it has. There are many spambot postings every week that never see the light of day on the forum because of the setting system. We look at them , realise they are spam, and kick the spambot off he forum. I think without the vetting system this forum would be completely unmanageable, drowning in nonsense, scams and adverts.

Having said which, AI is making the spambots harder and harder to detect. Their programmers know the system, so the bots now sometimes make an innocuous and convincing post or two, in order to get approved as forum members, before they start slipping in the promotional links.
What if it's a poopyhead and not a bot?
Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet »

Yeah, but you've been a member for years, no?
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Lorikeet wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:17 am How long does my penance last?
For all new members, their first posting has to be approved by a mod and then all subsequent postings appear immediately. As you can now see. So, welcome aboard!