[b][i]Morality is objective[/i][/b] is not even wrong. It is a statement without any meaning what ever.

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

[b][i]Morality is objective[/i][/b] is not even wrong. It is a statement without any meaning what ever.

Post by Sculptor »

Let us set the record straight on this idiotc question that keeps coming up
"Is moraltiy sujective or objective", " "what would it take?" etc..
The whole problem seem to be a mischaracterisation of what the subject/object argument is all about.
Things are not objective or subjective in and of themselves.
Subjectiity and objectivity refer to a RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN two things. Between the percieved and the perceiver.
SO it may not be asked "is morality objective" anymore than "is morality subjective".
What is morality but a collection of rules "decided" by society, or through normative association rules that it is claimed ought to be followed for society to work to minimises conflict and aportion rights. SOme moral systems claim to do this equally, others to reserve rights to special groups.

For any given "moral rule" it may not be said to be subjective or objective.
The utterance of the rule and its relationship to the person uttering it is where the object/subject argument lies.
It does not have to be absolute, it can be seen as a spectrum where the interests of the speaker amy or not be favoured; may or not favour their group, or favour their own society - all these are subjective showing a tendancy towards the objectness.
One might conclude that only rules that treat with all humans equally without excpetion are objective. But who wants a morality without mitigation?
As the years have passed I have asked these threads to NAME ONE OBJECTIVE RULE, yet never once has a successful attempt been made to achieve that.
Usually they go for the jugular: "It is wrong to kill".
Once they are showered with all the exceptions; Killing Hitler; euthanasia, just war; legal execuations; abortion of non viablee foetuses; killing to eat;use of insecticides; antibiotics....
Where is YOUR limit? And what appears is a subjective opinion about which forms of killing are morally acceptible, with a claim that they are being objective - they are not.
Each of us has a different reaction to these levels of killing - an there is not necessarily agreement about where on the scale each should appear.
Defenders of moral objectivism usuall end with something very extreme as an example; It is wrong to skin-alive human babies. WHilst it is possible to find rational objections to this rule, by then the argument has gone beyond the Hitler realm.
But the only and ultimate answer to why an action is immoral is "it feels bad", "it causes suffering", or "I don't like it" or the banal "life is sacred" - a rule they have already transgressed with their choice of acceptible killing. Whatever justification used, without mitigation no rule ITSELF is useful, or moral.

The objectivity or subjectivity lies between the reality and the perceiver. It is not inherent in the rule. Humans make up these rules, never all humans (that is impossible) but some humans who have taken the "moral highground" to demand that their personal choices are better argued, have better raison detre, serve better purposes.
But usually these do not suit everyone. Whilst other might try to judge the level of subjectivity in any given particular utterance, no one is without some bias. Bias in where we get our opinions.

Morality is objective is not even wrong. It is a statement without any meaning what ever.
Skepdick

Re: [b][i]Morality is objective[/i][/b] is not even wrong. It is a statement without any meaning what ever.

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:51 am <blah blah blah>
Idiot. Objective morality is identical with objective meaning.

If you can't ground the symbols "right" and "wrong" you can't ground ANY symbols. Including the symbols "meaning", "morality", "object", "subject", "statement" or "philosophy".

You can't even ground the symbol "symbol"; or this very sentence.

All of your statements become meaningless. Including this one:
Sculptor wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:51 am Morality is objective is not even wrong. It is a statement without any meaning what ever.
All language becomes a castle in the sky; and therefore - meaningless.
The very notion of "grounding" becomes arbitrary - I ground my symbols one way. You ground yours another.

Ahh, but does my "arbitrary" mean the same thing as your "arbitrary"?
Last edited by Skepdick on Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Skepdick

Re: [b][i]Morality is objective[/i][/b] is not even wrong. It is a statement without any meaning what ever.

Post by Skepdick »

Queue cries for evidence....

The English word "blue" means the color of this sentence.

Any objection to the above appeals to some a priori (objective) meaning of the symbol "blue". A norm from which the above use of the symbol deviates from.

If you don't understand what symbols are; and you don't understand that the symbol-grounding problem can't be solved - you don't understand anything. You can't even ground the very notion of "understanding" itself!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbol_grounding_problem
Will Bouwman

Post by Will Bouwman »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:50 amIf you don't understand what symbols are; and you don't understand that the symbol-grounding problem can't be solved - you don't understand anything. You can't even ground the very notion of "understanding" itself!
Exclamation mark, eh? Sounds important. So why should we care?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Will Bouwman wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:12 pm
Skepdick wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:50 amIf you don't understand what symbols are; and you don't understand that the symbol-grounding problem can't be solved - you don't understand anything. You can't even ground the very notion of "understanding" itself!
Exclamation mark, eh? Sounds important. So why should we care?
I have no idea why you should care.

But you are asking me a questions so.. why do you care?
Will Bouwman

Post by Will Bouwman »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:13 pmI have no idea why you should care.
Great. I'll save myself the effort then.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Will Bouwman wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:24 pm
I have long found it is not worth my time to bother with Skeptic. He loses concenration after reading a few words then get angry and talks bollocks,

As you can see Will, all he does is troll and the take a series of dumps on the thread contibuting nothing.
Last edited by Sculptor on Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

That's twice now you didn't.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:34 pm I have long found it is not worth my time to bother with Skeptic. He loses concenration after reading a few words then get angry and talks bollocks,
That's fucking gold!
Skepdick wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:42 am Idiot. Objective morality is identical with objective meaning.

I guess what is and isn't "bollocks" is objective (my words are bollocks, this words of the OP aren't)
It's only what is; or isn't moral that's still in question.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's why philosophy is fucked.
Last edited by Skepdick on Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will Bouwman

Post by Will Bouwman »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:46 pm
That's twice now you didn't.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Will Bouwman wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:02 pm <another failure to not care>
When you figure out why you keep caring - do let us know...
Will Bouwman

Post by Will Bouwman »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:08 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Do let us know when you can figure out why I should care about this:
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Will Bouwman wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:13 pm
Skepdick wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:08 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Do let us know when you can figure out why I should care about this:
Why do you care why you should care?
Will Bouwman

Post by Will Bouwman »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:34 pmAs you can see Will, all he does is troll and the take a series of dumps on the thread contibuting nothing.
Have no fear Sculptor, I know exactly what Septick is.
Will Bouwman

Post by Will Bouwman »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:15 pmWhy do you care why you should care?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: