Heaven and hell are not just "illusory"

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: Heaven and hell are not just "illusory"

Post by Gary Childress »

Atla wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:06 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:04 pm
Atla wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:00 pm
In multiverse topics, "universe" doesn't mean absolutely everything. Which part of this escapes your understanding?
Then what do you call everything? Just "everything"?
Usually, everything = multiverse.
I see. What if I refer to everything as the "universe", am I wrong to call it that?
Atla

Post by Atla »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:09 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:04 pm

Then what do you call everything? Just "everything"?
I see. What if I refer to everything as the "universe", am I wrong to call it that?
Maybe you don't know what a "topic" is. So when I say stuff like "multiverse topic", you don't know how to separate that from other stuff.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Atla wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:11 pm
Maybe you don't know what a "topic" is. So when I say stuff like "multiverse topic", you don't know how to separate that from other stuff.
If the words are equivalent, then what difference does it make?
Atla

Post by Atla »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:13 pm

What do you mean by words are equivalent?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Atla wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:15 pm
They both refer to "everything". Or does the multiverse not include everything?
Atla

Post by Atla »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:16 pm

Ok you don't know what "topics" are. Hmm
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Atla wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:28 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:16 pm
Ok you don't know what "topics" are. Hmm
I don't speak French either. Maybe I need a translator?
godelian

Post by godelian »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:23 pm I agree with Age's point that if there is a "multiverse" then the totality of all multiverses is, by definition, the universe. Even a dumb "hick" like me isn't as stupid as you are. What a joke. Spend all your life studying abstractions of math and you can't even see what's in front of your eyes.
If the physical multiverse is structurally similar to the arithmetical multiverse, then the distance between objects:
- inside the same universe is finite
- in different universes is infinite

The infinite gap between universes ultimately harks back to the continuum hypothesis.

The idea that the physical universe is structurally similar to the world of natural numbers is quite old. Pythagoras already postulated this 2500 years ago.

The modern view on the world of natural numbers is that it is a multiverse with one standard model and an unlimited number of nonstandard models. This is the part of the idea that is quite recent and only got discovered in the first part of the 20th century.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

godelian wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:58 am
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:23 pm I agree with Age's point that if there is a "multiverse" then the totality of all multiverses is, by definition, the universe. Even a dumb "hick" like me isn't as stupid as you are. What a joke. Spend all your life studying abstractions of math and you can't even see what's in front of your eyes.
If the physical multiverse is structurally similar to the arithmetical multiverse, then the distance between objects:
- inside the same universe is finite
- in different universes is infinite

The infinite gap between universes ultimately harks back to the continuum hypothesis.

The idea that the physical universe is structurally similar to the world of natural numbers is quite old. Pythagoras already postulated this 2500 years ago.

The modern view on the world of natural numbers is that it is a multiverse with one standard model and an unlimited number of nonstandard models. This is the part of the idea that is quite recent and only got discovered in the first part of the 20th century.
The Pythagoreans were a bunch of elitist math weirdos who thought ordinary people ought not know about irrational numbers. You're no friend of ordinary people. You think that the people living around you enjoy living in poverty and 3rd world conditions. I mean, if they want to stay in poverty, then don't complain about poverty. However, I suspect they'd probably welcome modern conveniences. You seem like a snob. You know about Godel's "incompleteness theorem" and you think it makes you something special. And yet you know nothing any more spectacular than any of the rest of us do about the world around us. You're just as lost and clueless as the rest of us are about "ultimate" reality. But, no. You're special. You know the incompleteness theorem. :roll:
godelian

Post by godelian »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:15 am You think that the people living around you enjoy living in poverty and 3rd world conditions. I mean, if they want to stay in poverty, then don't complain about poverty. However, I suspect they'd probably welcome modern conveniences.
I'm writing this from my mobile phone, while sitting in the ferry between the island of Phu Quoc and the mainland ferry port of Ha Tien in the southernmost tip of Vietnam. The ferry is air-conditioned and has wifi working fine on the high seas. The cabin is populated by ordinary Vietnamese people. I am quite probably the only foreigner on board. You probably have a wrong conception about poverty in SE Asia. There obviously are poor people but most are not. They have every modern convenience that I routinely use.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

godelian wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:20 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:15 am You think that the people living around you enjoy living in poverty and 3rd world conditions. I mean, if they want to stay in poverty, then don't complain about poverty. However, I suspect they'd probably welcome modern conveniences.
I'm writing this from my mobile phone, while sitting in the ferry between the island of Phu Quoc and the mainland ferry port of Ha Tien in the southernmost tip of Vietnam. The ferry is air-conditioned and has wifi working fine on the high seas. The cabin is populated by ordinary Vietnamese people. I am quite probably the only foreigner on board. You probably have a wrong conception about poverty in SE Asia. There obviously are poor people but most are not. They have every modern convenience that I routinely use.
That's good news. How does all that technology work if no one is paying any taxes for infrastructure to use it? Or how long will you be able to use your cell phone if there's a nuclear war (which you don't care if one happens)?
godelian

Post by godelian »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:09 pm How does all that technology work if no one is paying any taxes for infrastructure to use it?
Everybody pays for his ferry ticket. Why would some taxpayer somewhere have to pay for someone else's ferry trip? Keep the bullshit of the West to the West. We really do not need that bullshit here. I like this part of the world, as it is. They do not need your nonsense in any shape or form.
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:09 pm Or how long will you be able to use your cell phone if there's a nuclear war (which you don't care if one happens)?
I expect that the West will provoke the Russian Federation to the point that they retaliate by military means, possibly even with nuclear weapons. If and when that happens, the targets for nuclear destruction will be in the West and not in SE Asia. Other relatively safe areas are South America and Africa. I live in SE Asia now. Therefore, you are right. I do not care about nuclear war. I want peace in my area of the world.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

godelian wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:49 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:09 pm How does all that technology work if no one is paying any taxes for infrastructure to use it?
Everybody pays for his ferry ticket. Why would some taxpayer somewhere have to pay for someone else's ferry trip? Keep the bullshit of the West to the West. We really do not need that bullshit here. I like this part of the world, as it is. They do not need your nonsense in any shape or form.
Gary Childress wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:09 pm Or how long will you be able to use your cell phone if there's a nuclear war (which you don't care if one happens)?
I expect that the West will provoke the Russian Federation to the point that they retaliate by military means, possibly even with nuclear weapons. If and when that happens, the targets for nuclear destruction will be in the West and not in SE Asia. Other relatively safe areas are South America and Africa. I live in SE Asia now. Therefore, you are right. I do not care about nuclear war. I want peace in my area of the world.
Strange, I wouldn't wish nuclear destruction on anyone. Whatever god accepts you into its "heaven" I want no part of.

Post by Age »

So, how do you separate the words 'multiverse' and 'Universe' here, exactly?

Also, explain how 'verses' could be, physically, separated, and by what, exactly, in the so-named 'multiverses'. Then we will see if you know the 'topic' here "yourself" or not.
godelian

Post by godelian »

Gary Childress wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:28 pm Strange, I wouldn't wish nuclear destruction on anyone. Whatever god accepts you into its "heaven" I want no part of.
Who the hell even cares?