What is tolerance?

Abortion, euthanasia, genetic engineering, Just War theory and other such hot topics.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: What is tolerance?

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:16 pm
Harbal wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:14 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:55 pm
That was your uncharitable suspicion, then. And the truth is, if you cared, you'd have found out you were wrong already.
But you blocked my attempts to find out.
I told you where to look.
But why couldn't you just tell me the names of the books that you had judged "perverted"? What could have been easier than that?
If you think I'm going to debate the particulars of salacious content with you,
Why would that idea even cross your mind? :?
I'm guess you have no idea to whom you're speaking. You'll wait a long time for that kind of discussion.
An honest discussion is all that I would ask of you, but I suspect I will wait an even longer time for that.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:34 pm
Harbal wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:14 pm
But you blocked my attempts to find out.
But why couldn't you just tell me the names of the books that you had judged "perverted"?
Answer below.
If you think I'm going to debate the particulars of salacious content with you,...
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:25 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:24 pm The programs which teach sex stuff to very little children are all aimed at making sure the children know to speak up if an adult is doing something wrong with them.
Better look up some of those videos. You couldn't be more wrong.
It would be even better to be able to examine the material you are complaining about, but as you won't tell us what it is, how can we? This is not the sort of issue to be settled by watching a bunch of Youtube videos.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:39 pm
Harbal wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:34 pm
But why couldn't you just tell me the names of the books that you had judged "perverted"?
Answer below.
If you think I'm going to debate the particulars of salacious content with you,...
I don't want to debate the particulars with you, I just want the names of the books, so I can check for myself.

If you won't tell me the names of the perverted books, I must conclude that there are no perverted books. I suggest we let the matter rest there.
godelian

Post by godelian »

Alexiev wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:11 pm Some Westerners think parents SHOULD support their own children.
That is not what it is about. The question is whether the government should force the matter. If you want to force other people, then you must also prove that you are willing to risk your live and die for what you believe in.
After a two-day hearing in which both Costner, 68, and Baumgartner, 49, took the stand to testify, a judge on Sept. 8 ordered Costner to pay about $63,000 per month for their three children, People reported. Baumgartner had sought about $175,000 per month.
The above is obviously monkey business. That is always what it degenerates into. There is simply no problem in the world that the government won't make worse.

One of the many reasons why governments outside the West have never dared to enforce things like child support, is first of all, because outside the West there have always been many more opportunities to attack and destroy the government. Secondly, the local men are much more likely to retaliate, because unlike many western men, they are not just a bunch of feminized simps.

For example, do you really believe that you can get a government to run after Afghan men to force them to make that kind of payments? These Afghan men kept relentlessly killing and maiming NATO soldiers until they finally left. That is why I respect them so much. All respect is ultimately based on the fear for reprisals. I would lose my self-respect if I ever made that kind of payments instead of retaliating.

Afghan men support their children. That is not what it is about. It is about the fact that you either respect them, or else, they will inflict massive reprisals, and after that, you will still respect them.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:45 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:24 pm The programs which teach sex stuff to very little children are all aimed at making sure the children know to speak up if an adult is doing something wrong with them.
It would be even better to be able to examine the material you are complaining about, but as you won't tell us what it is, how can we?
You're starting to sound pathetic. You mean you've miraculously lost your ability to Google?

I don't believe it. Figure it out.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:01 pm
It would be even better to be able to examine the material you are complaining about, but as you won't tell us what it is, how can we?
You're starting to sound pathetic. You mean you've miraculously lost your ability to Google?
Google, what are the books that IC has deemed to be perverted?

Or :idea:

Dear ChatGPT, what are the books that Immanuel Can, on the Philosophy Now Forum, has deemed to be perverted?

ChatGPT:

Immanuel Can, a contributor on the Philosophy Now forum, often expresses strong opinions on various philosophical topics, including his views on what he considers to be perverted literature. However, without specific context or recent updates, I can't provide a definitive list of the books he's deemed as such. His opinions may vary and are subject to change based on ongoing discussions and new perspectives within the philosophical community. If you have a specific discussion or context in mind, I can try to provide more information based on that.

Damn! ChatGPT has also miraculously lost its ability to Google. :(
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:43 pm

Sad. :cry: It's so unfortunate to see a man go senile.

After that, the only job left for him is President. :wink:
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:29 pm
Harbal wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:43 pm
Sad. :cry: It's so unfortunate to see a man go senile.

After that, the only job left for him is President. :wink:
I wouldn't want to stand in Trump's way.
Alexiev

Post by Alexiev »

Sculptor wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:55 pm

Now lets talk about Trumps indictments, or are you going to persist with the fiction that they are all made up nonsense???
:D :D :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indictmen ... nald_Trump
Huh? I don't think Trump's indictments are nonsense (although the New York case currently being tried seems trivial compared to the other two). Instead, I correctly stated that you resemble Trump supporters in that you accept only those "facts": that conform to your prejudices.

The Boston Tea Party WAS about taxation without representation -- although the actual taxes being protested were complicated. Read about the Townshend Acts that the Colonists were protesting.

It was you Brits who practiced religious bigotry to a greater extent than the Americans. It was the Brits who ran slave plantations in the Carribean that were even worse (hard to believe!) than those in the American South. It was the Brits who supported the Confederacy during the Civil War. It was British Evangelicals who proselytized a form of religious bigotry in India that led to the Sepoy Mutiny; then it was the British reprisals to that mutiny which make the Israeli reprisals against Hamas look like a picnic in the park.

Meanwhile, we Americans bailed you out in two World Wars last century. Look to your own short comings. IN your case, Sculptor, those include bigotry, arrogance, ignorance and stupidity.
Alexiev

Post by Alexiev »

godelian wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:55 pm
Alexiev wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:11 pm Some Westerners think parents SHOULD support their own children.
That is not what it is about. The question is whether the government should force the matter. If you want to force other people, then you must also prove that you are willing to risk your live and die for what you believe in.
After a two-day hearing in which both Costner, 68, and Baumgartner, 49, took the stand to testify, a judge on Sept. 8 ordered Costner to pay about $63,000 per month for their three children, People reported. Baumgartner had sought about $175,000 per month.
The above is obviously monkey business. That is always what it degenerates into. There is simply no problem in the world that the government won't make worse.

One of the many reasons why governments outside the West have never dared to enforce things like child support, is first of all, because outside the West there have always been many more opportunities to attack and destroy the government. Secondly, the local men are much more likely to retaliate, because unlike many western men, they are not just a bunch of feminized simps.

For example, do you really believe that you can get a government to run after Afghan men to force them to make that kind of payments? These Afghan men kept relentlessly killing and maiming NATO soldiers until they finally left. That is why I respect them so much. All respect is ultimately based on the fear for reprisals. I would lose my self-respect if I ever made that kind of payments instead of retaliating.

Afghan men support their children. That is not what it is about. It is about the fact that you either respect them, or else, they will inflict massive reprisals, and after that, you will still respect them.
Yes, we know that Afghanistan just approved a law condemning adulterous women to be stoned to death. Those tough, manly Afghans aren't sufficiently confident in their masculinity that they can keep their women satisfied without threats of a horrible death. What a bunch of losers! They remind me of you, godelian.
godelian

Post by godelian »

Alexiev wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:53 pm Yes, we know that Afghanistan just approved a law condemning adulterous women to be stoned to death. Those tough, manly Afghans aren't sufficiently confident in their masculinity that they can keep their women satisfied without threats of a horrible death. What a bunch of losers! They remind me of you, godelian.
Ha, let me enjoy the imbecile shaming language! So predictable too! Now you have revealed that you cannot keep a man. Every man has walked out on you. That is why you are single.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

godelian wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:55 pm

Strangely, or not, some countries consider sex to be natural and OK for children to see in movies and online and read in books, while violence is strictly forbidden.
Alexiev

Post by Alexiev »

godelian wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:45 pm
Alexiev wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:53 pm Yes, we know that Afghanistan just approved a law condemning adulterous women to be stoned to death. Those tough, manly Afghans aren't sufficiently confident in their masculinity that they can keep their women satisfied without threats of a horrible death. What a bunch of losers! They remind me of you, godelian.
Ha, let me enjoy the imbecile shaming language! So predictable too! Now you have revealed that you cannot keep a man. Every man has walked out on you. That is why you are single.
Why would any woman want to "keep a man" like you, godelian? It's also predictable that godelian misgenders me because he thinks (like Immanuel, who did the same) that calling someone a woman is an insult. It isn't an insult, nor is being single. Only an a-hole thinks it is. Parents (that includes fathers and mothers) should support their children. I'm guessing Kevin Costner can afford his child support. Perhaps he even wants his children to be raised amidst the luxury to which they are accustomed. Why wouldn't he?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Alexiev wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:47 pm
Sculptor wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:55 pm

Now lets talk about Trumps indictments, or are you going to persist with the fiction that they are all made up nonsense???
:D :D :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indictmen ... nald_Trump
Huh? I don't think Trump's indictments are nonsense (although the New York case currently being tried seems trivial compared to the other two). Instead, I correctly stated that you resemble Trump supporters in that you accept only those "facts": that conform to your prejudices.

The Boston Tea Party WAS about taxation without representation -- although the actual taxes being protested were complicated. Read about the Townshend Acts that the Colonists were protesting.
No. "Taxation without representation" was what it was laters to be SPUN about. But the issue was the the British ships came in peddling TAX FREE tea.
You can be forgiven for your ignorance. It is a common misconception with Americans - the people who think that Noah's Ark is literal truth in a similar porportion who think Trump is vote worthy.
"Taxation without representation" was a slogan to encourage the traitors to kill their fellows.

It was you Brits...
There you go making false assumptions.
... who practiced religious bigotry to a greater extent than the Americans.
Britain was known throughout the world as a place enouraging TOLERANCE.
It was that tolerance the the "Pilgrim Fathers" were fleeing.

It was the Brits who ran slave plantations in the Carribean that were even worse
{quote] THe British EMpire banned the slave trade in 1809, long before Americans fought their civil war. You really are ignorant