We need an admin to control VA

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

mickthinks

Re: We need an admin to control VA

Post by mickthinks »

Atla wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:13 pm … VA shouldn't be allowed to flood the forum with hundreds of threads …
I believe that’s an exaggeration. If it were a flood of hundreds of threads, you’d have a point and I might agree that ignoring VA isn’t enough. But it isn’t a flood of hundreds of threads, and so you don’t have a point and I’m going to continue to ignore them and to recommend you do the same.
Last edited by mickthinks on Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

It's early days, but it seems to be having an effect.
The number of new threads in New Posts is lower now, significantly.
Atla

Post by Atla »

mickthinks wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:33 pm
Atla wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:13 pm … VA shouldn't be allowed to flood the forum with hundreds of threads …
I believe that’s an exaggeration. If it were a flood of hundreds of threads, you’d have a point and I might agree that ignoring VA isn’t enough. But it isn’t a flood of hundreds of threads, and so you don’t have a point and I’m going to continue to ignore them and to recommend you do the same.
Ok how should I call his hundreds of repetitive threads in the Ethical theory sub alone, if "flood" isn't the correct expression?
CIN

Post by CIN »

It must be really annoying for you people when you go into a library or bookshop. All those books you have to walk past that you're not interested in, before you get to the ones you want! My heart bleeds for you all.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:35 pm It's early days, but it seems to be having an effect.
The number of new threads in New Posts is lower now, significantly.
viewtopic.php?t=42090

He even seems to have opened a most unusual topic (coming from him) where he seems to express his deep feelings of sorrow. He's trying to come to terms with the fact that there will be no great recognition of his important contributions, at least not in his lifetime. It's almost heart-wrenching. :)
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

mickthinks wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:33 pm
Well, he did start 100 threads in ethics since November. I don't know what time frame would be needed. Interesting that the number of posts would move you towards Putin-like policies.

But anyway, it seems to be working to have the people who actually were interested in the topics he raised stop responding to him. His threads have dropped off. So, it's fine. It did require a group effort and this might be less pleasant for the guy than some input to him from the mods. I believe I asked once if the mods could talk to him about this practice, not censor him, but suggest he stop creating so many threads. I didn't get a response, I don't know if he was talked to.

But it's great you guys are coming here and mocking us, even misrepresenting things people have said.

And y es, it was very bad that Atla used the word flood, a degree of thread starting that might have spurred you to actions you see as malignant. I'll pm him about how to choose better metaphors.

Anyway, we have a solution, one the Peter Holmes once balked at out of sympathy for VA in our PM exchange.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

CIN wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:31 pm It must be really annoying for you people when you go into a library or bookshop. All those books you have to walk past that you're not interested in, before you get to the ones you want! My heart bleeds for you all.
Well, it seems like Mcthinks thinks that hundreds of posts would justify mod action, so you mods might want to work out how to mock us with consistency. But anyway, at least temporarily, a method Peter Holmes thought would actually cruel to VA has reduced his posting (it was 100 threads started since November and the daily average dropped from what it takes to get that kind of total). The people interested in VAs topics are not responding to his threads. Perhaps some kind of mediation from mods could have led to something more of a compromise, but hey, we can still do that after a month with VA.

But it is interesting to see what you do consider the mod role.

I can respect what you think it isn't, but what you think it is, not so much.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:02 pm Well, he did start 100 threads in ethics since November.
I wonder what his total is in that sub. Maybe about 300-400?
mickthinks

Post by mickthinks »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:02 pm Well, he did start 100 threads in ethics since November.
lol This turns out to be true*, and I concede that it is far more than I realised.

However, I still maintain that someone who has posted 100 threads in Ethical Theory since November (*or more accurately July) or even 160 threads in the last 12 months, isn't someone "posting 100s of threads", just as someone who drinks a pint of beer every other day isn't someone of whom one would say "he drinks hundreds of pints".
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

mickthinks wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:14 pm
lol This turns out to be true*, and I concede that it is far more than I realised.

However, I still maintain that someone who has posted 100 threads in Ethical Theory since November (*or more accurately July) or even 160 threads in the last 12 months, isn't someone "posting 100s of threads", just as someone who drinks a pint of beer every other day isn't someone of whom one would say "he drinks hundreds of pints".
Well, I'll be sure to keep in mind that the measure is alcohol intake in pints when analyzing any problem pattern.
There must be other random ways I can use that analogy. Maybe I can get my driver's licence back in court using pints of beer as an analogy for speeding tickets. Hell, in that analogy I'm not even an occasional drinker. The hysterical (not as in 'funny) analogies with witch hunt and Putin were also great. I see now how important analogies are for moderation.

Anyway, nice offers to help with a discussion between the parties. Don't let us distract you anymore from what must be pressing moderator duties.

We've got it from here.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Atla wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:16 pm
Possibly, I don't know. But that's not a lot, even in shots of tequila.
It'd be a lot of llamas on the other hand.
I'll never be able to use analogies like these guys.
But they've done some nice role modelling.
I think the thread is now moot, so I'll be heading back into the discussions invigorated by the guidance from above.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:14 pm
Atla wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:16 pm
Possibly, I don't know. But that's not a lot, even in shots of tequila.
It'd be a lot of llamas on the other hand.
I'll never be able to use analogies like these guys.
But they've done some nice role modelling.
I think the thread is now moot, so I'll be heading back into the discussions invigorated by the guidance from above.
Well, darn! I got to the party late. I was going to say a few general things about censorship and then wait for someone to correct my stupid ass.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

I believe those [not all] who have a very negative attitude to the above are triggered very badly psychologically within themselves when their beliefs are hit with truths, thus the cognitive dissonances brewing internally within their psyche.

They have lost intellectual control so they have to rely to other evil psychological measures to soothe their cognitive dissonances.

This is what happened with people who advocate blasphemy, Islamophobia, deny the freedom of speech and easily participate in mobs to commit violence to kill opponents, in this case intellectual violence.

As I had stated, my posting in this forum is primarily and purely for my selfish interests and don't give a damn with childish comments. However, I believe, the posts could benefit whoever is interested in those topics.
There are some threads which are tits for tat.

In addition, my postings has also contributed to the re-activation and activeness of the ethical-theory section.
I'll be taking a break and we'll see how active the ethical section will be.
CIN

Post by CIN »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:16 am There are some threads which are tits for tat.
Damn. I must have missed those.