bots

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

seeds

Re: bots

Post by seeds »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 am
seeds wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 am
Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:23 pm Yes, it makes no sense that it's bots. It must be people. Whitefish, Montana has a population just under 50,000 and I hear they're sensitive about nihilism. A Stooge couldn't be right about this one.
My guess is (and it's only a guess) that it has something to do with whenever you search for something on, for example, Google,...

(who has a registered bot on this site)

...at the top of the Google page, it states something like the following,...

"About 3,292,000 results (0.38 seconds)"

...which, to me, suggest that Google's search engine instantly probes pretty much the entire Internet (including our posts) for whatever keywords you may have loaded into the query box.

And as such, it counts (or tallies up) as a view of the thread.

So, for example, if thousands of people across the planet ask Google a question about, for example, "nihilism," or "God," or something else we might often discuss here on the forums,...

...Google simply finds the keyword in our posts and counts it as one of those 3,292,000 results achieved in 0.38 seconds, which, again, registers as a view on a thread.

Again, that's just a guess.
_______
I have no idea. I doubt 50,000 people visited one of Iambs threads in one day and it seems like he is beginning to doubt his stats, kudos for that.

I doubt most people here pop in and look at his threads (or anyone's threads). That even 500 people who do not post here would decide, Hey, let me go take a look at the latest posts in that philosophy forum seems incredibly unlikely.

We're entering the AI era - I hope it doesn't end us - and those things are scouring the internet for all sorts of reasons. You account seems reasonable to me, a layperson, clunking along on intuition.
When I logged on a few minutes ago, the following appeared at the bottom of the main page of the forum, declaring the number of "registered users" who were logged-in at the time...

Registered users: Ahrefs [Bot], Amazon [Bot], Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], seeds [knucklehead], Semrush [Bot]

Now it might be nice (for our egos) to imagine that there are thousands of visitors coming here and gaining great wisdom :wink: from our silly conversations.

However, it seems obvious that those multiple mindless and dispassionate bots (acting on behalf of extremely busy search engines) are no doubt the real reason for most of the high view counts on various threads.
_______
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

seeds wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm Registered users: Ahrefs [Bot], Amazon [Bot], Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], seeds [knucklehead], Semrush [Bot]

Now it might be nice (for our egos) to imagine that there are thousands of visitors coming here and gaining great wisdom :wink: from our silly conversations.

However, it seems obvious that those multiple mindless and dispassionate bots (acting on behalf of extremely busy search engines) are no doubt the real reason for most of the high view counts on various threads.
_______
Sure. I just can't imagine 50,000 people lurking, so fascinated by the discussion in Compatibilism and too shy to participate.
Philosophy just ain't that popular.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am people might be getting directed here by Google when they search for arguments for compatibilism.
If say 10 thousand people get directed to an iam thread, is the negative effect on humanity big enough to be measurable somehow?
seeds

Post by seeds »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm
seeds wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm Registered users: Ahrefs [Bot], Amazon [Bot], Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], seeds [knucklehead], Semrush [Bot]

_______
Sure. I just can't imagine 50,000 people lurking, so fascinated by the discussion in Compatibilism and too shy to participate.
Philosophy just ain't that popular.
Indeed, even this very thread, which was initiated a mere 2 days ago by iambiguous, has (as of this posting) over 52,000 views.

Apparently, bots are interested in stories about bots.
_______
Atla

Post by Atla »

Hey if we can buy Youtube views and subscribers, can we also buy 50k views for a thread here?
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Atla wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm
Flannel Jesus wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:57 am people might be getting directed here by Google when they search for arguments for compatibilism.
If say 10 thousand people get directed to an iam thread, is the negative effect on humanity big enough to be measurable somehow?
In terms of wasted time? I don't imagine it takes long for them to lose interest.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Atla wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm Hey if we can buy Youtube views and subscribers, can we also buy 50k views for a thread here?
Sure, copy this code (works out of the box on any current Windows computer), change the 55 to 50000 and go make a cup of tea. It will be done when you get back.
For_Loop_thirty_five.JPG
For_Loop_thirty_five.JPG (7.38 KiB) Viewed 50032 times
The thread I tested that on is a long ignored one about fruit flies from last July
viewtopic.php?t=40448
Before I ran that tiny code, the count was 896
896_impressions.JPG
896_impressions.JPG (14.53 KiB) Viewed 50032 times
Now I added 35 to that count ....
931_impressions.JPG
931_impressions.JPG (11.02 KiB) Viewed 50032 times
What does the thread say? Fucked if I know, I never opened it at all.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Atla wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm
I worry more that one of them might read about an FSRSCKC and take it seriously.
Atla

Post by Atla »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm
Atla wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm Hey if we can buy Youtube views and subscribers, can we also buy 50k views for a thread here?
Sure, copy this code (works out of the box on any current Windows computer), change the 55 to 50000 and go make a cup of tea. It will be done when you get back.
For_Loop_thirty_five.JPG
The thread I tested that on is a long ignored one about fruit flies from last July
viewtopic.php?t=40448
Before I ran that tiny code, the count was 896
896_impressions.JPG
Now I added 35 to that count ....
931_impressions.JPG
What does the thread say? Fucked if I know, I never opened it at all.
Cool! How much do you charge for 1 million views? I need 1 million views on Age's latest thread so she/he/it can claim that her secret audience from the future is closely monitoring her progress (using time travel). Still bit afraid of an IP block here.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

I'd like to put this thread in context.
In response to criticism of the way he communicated with other people, the thread author said to the supposed Stooge.
Come on, if my own posts were all of those things, how do you explain the fact that my threads/posts garner hundreds and hundreds of views a week.
Well, it's been explained.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Atla wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 pm
Cool! How much do you charge for 1 million views? I need 1 million views on Age's latest thread so she/he/it can claim that her secret audience from the future is closely monitoring her progress (using time travel).
Jokes on you, they already read it. They read it in the future.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

While Age and Iambiguous are prolific, they are not as efficient as VA.
VA patented the KIV approach.
These extra posts with KIV double and treble his view totals without him having to add more content and without more thinking or typing.
View Acquisition Amateurs (VAA for short) is what we all are compared to VA.
VA is no VAA.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Sure, for a small fee of,...wait, let me use my recently leased Trumpulator® to determine the charge for this grift,...

(let's see now, carry the 2, then divide by 4, then add the 6 plus the cost of 2 Big Macs and a bucket of fried chicken)

...okay then, for 100 bucks per 5 thousand views, I (or my trained parrot) will be glad to personally click (or peck) 50,000 times on any thread you wish.

It may take a few days, but if you send me the 1,000 donaries first, then me and "Squawky" will get started immediately.

(Note: Due to what's stated in the fine print in the lease agreement for the use of the Trumpulator®, I am legally obligated to direct you to this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/VXTGEScRGcE)
_______
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 pm
Atla wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 pm
Cool! How much do you charge for 1 million views? I need 1 million views on Age's latest thread so she/he/it can claim that her secret audience from the future is closely monitoring her progress (using time travel).
Jokes on you, they already read it. They read it in the future.
And Veritas' morality FSK, the one he calls proper, while not having intersubjective support now, will have it in the future he's told me.

Consider this, Age is VA come back from the future!!!!
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:49 am And Veritas' morality FSK, the one he calls proper, while not having intersubjective support now, will have it in the future he's told me.

Consider this, Age is VA come back from the future!!!!
That makes sense. VA finds the key to immortality, lives for thousands of years, loses his sanity (I mean, more so than it was already), finds the key to time travel and comes back in time to tell everyone on PhilosophyNow what he's found.

Except there's one big problem: VA has forgotten his password. It's been so long, this site stopped operating in the year 2120 and he went another 5,000 years before developing time travel. So he has to register a new email and make a new account to become Age.