Why did Godel come up with a true statement that is unprovable?

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Why did Godel come up with a true statement that is unprovable?

Post by Gary Childress »

Was it just because he could? Or was there some kind of need for it? And if it was because there was a need for it, what was that need?

Re: Why did Godel come up with a true statement that is unprovable?

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:33 am Was it just because he could? Or was there some kind of need for it? And if it was because there was a need for it, what was that need?
What is the 'true statement', which is unprovable?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:39 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:33 am Was it just because he could? Or was there some kind of need for it? And if it was because there was a need for it, what was that need?
"This statement is not provable"

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:45 am
But, 'that statement', which you just made here, is 'just absurd'.

Did "godel" come up with a true statement that is unprovable?

If yes, then what is that 'true statement', which is unprovable?

When I used the 'the' word I was referring to 'the true statement', which "godel" supposedly came up with, that is, supposedly, unprovable.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:14 am

I'm not sure. How would we go about determining if Godel's statement was true or false and therefore 'provable'? And if it's not provable, then that means his statement is true and therefore it would be an example of a true statement that is not provable.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:24 am
Age wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:14 am

I'm not sure. How would we go about determining if Godel's statement was true or false and therefore 'provable'?
What is the 'actual statement', 'which is claimed to be unprovable'?

I am not sure in how many ways I can ask for 'the statement', through clarifying questions, before 'the statement' will be provided here.
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:24 am And if it's not provable, then that means his statement is true and therefore it would be an example of a true statement that is not provable.
But, you have already claimed that 'it' is true, anyway.

By the way, what even is 'the statement', exactly, which is being talked about and referenced here?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:35 am By the way, what even is 'the statement', exactly, which is being talked about and referenced here?
"This statement is not provable" = the statement that is being talked about and referenced here.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:40 am
Age wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:35 am By the way, what even is 'the statement', exactly, which is being talked about and referenced here?
"This statement is not provable" = the statement that is being talked about and referenced here.
Asking, Why did someone come up with 'this statement', which is called 'unprovable', would be like asking,

'Why do human beings come up with all of the other Truly absurd, ridiculous, nonsensical, and illogical statements, as well'?

There would be different reasons for different people. And, waiting for one to so-call 'die' before asking, 'Why did they do something?' is also somewhat very absurd, ridiculous, nonsensical, and illogical to do.

Unless, of course, that one wrote down or told someone why they came up with the absurd, ridiculous, nonsensical, and illogical statements and claims that they did.

Do you know why you, "yourself", come up with the absurd, ridiculous, nonsensical, and/or illogical statements and claims that you make "Gary Childress"?

Maybe if you just answered, 'Why you do it?', then you will have the answer, and know, why others do the exact same thing, also.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:52 am
Asking, Why did someone come up with 'this statement', which is called 'unprovable', would be like asking,

'Why do human beings come up with all of the other Truly absurd, ridiculous, nonsensical, and illogical statements, as well'?

There would be different reasons for different people. And, waiting for one to so-call 'die' before asking, 'Why did they do something?' is also somewhat very absurd, ridiculous, nonsensical, and illogical to do.

Unless, of course, that one wrote down or told someone why they came up with the absurd, ridiculous, nonsensical, and illogical statements and claims that they did.

Do you know why you, "yourself", come up with the absurd, ridiculous, nonsensical, and/or illogical statements and claims that you make "Gary Childress"?

Maybe if you just answered, 'Why you do it?', then you will have the answer, and know, why others do the exact same thing, also.
I posted the question because Godel is considered an influential person in the study of logic. So I was curious why that is. If his question is absurd as you say, then why is he considered such an influential person in logic?

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:56 am

I posted the question because Godel is considered an influential person in the study of logic. So I was curious why that is. If his question is absurd as you say, then why is he considered such an influential person in logic?
Some people with the surname "kardashian", in the days when this was being written, are influential, and they say absurd things, and why they are considered such influential people may also remain a mystery forever.

By the way, what is 'his question', exactly, which you now say and claim is I say is absurd?

I said that 'the statement', 'This statement is unprovable', is just absurd, ridiculous, nonsensical, and illogical.

The only question here I see is the question you are asking, which is; and correct me if I am wrong here,

'Why did "godel" come up with a true statement that is unprovable?"
godelian

Post by godelian »

Rudolf Carnap analyzed Gödel's argument and discovered that it was ultimately based on the following essential discovery, called the "diagonal lemma":
For each property of logic sentences, there exists a true logic sentence that does not have the property or a false logic sentence that has it.
Since "provable" is a property of logic sentences, this leads straight to Gödel's incompleteness theorem:
There exists a true logic sentence that is not "provable" or a false logic statement that is.
The diagonal lemma also leads straight to Tarski's undefinability of the truth:
There exists a true logic statement that is not "true" or a false logic statement that is.
This is a contradiction. Therefore, "true" is not a property of logic sentences. Hence, the truth is undefinable (as a property).

Ultimately, the question is rather, why does the diagonal lemma even exist?

The diagonal lemma is a structural flaw that is otherwise deeply hidden inside the core of first-order arithmetic. Truth, which is seemingly a sentence property -- but in reality is not -- potentially clashes with other sentence properties. It necessarily turns the truth into a special case. It is syntactically a special case anyway. So it is not Gödel's "provable" property that is somehow weird. It is the truth that is.

The best part of mathematics is what I would term "disaster tourism", akin to booking a tour of the Chernobyl nuclear plant.

You look at how to hack a particular system; especially, at how to make it crash. These systems all turn out to be hackable. Initially, it actually looks impossible to do. However, when you finally manage to "crash the program", you can tell everybody where the bugs are. Why? Because it is fun to do that. It would be like typing some stuff into facebook through the app and crashing the entire system worldwide. It would make you look smart and facebook look dumb. Ha ha ah!
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:05 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:56 am

Some people with the surname "kardashian", in the days when this was being written, are influential, and they say absurd things, and why they are considered such influential people may also remain a mystery forever.

By the way, what is 'his question', exactly, which you now say and claim is I say is absurd?

I said that 'the statement', 'This statement is unprovable', is just absurd, ridiculous, nonsensical, and illogical.

The only question here I see is the question you are asking, which is; and correct me if I am wrong here,

'Why did "godel" come up with a true statement that is unprovable?"
Fair enough. I stand corrected. Why did Godel try to come up with a true statement that is unprovable? Was it important to?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

godelian wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:19 am You look at how to hack a particular system; especially, at how to make it crash. These systems all turn out to be hackable. Initially, it actually looks impossible to do. However, when you finally manage to "crash the program", you can tell everybody where the bugs are. Why? Because it is fun to do that. It would be like typing some stuff into facebook through the app and crashing the entire system worldwide. It would make you look smart and facebook look dumb. Ha ha ah!
Hmm.
godelian

Post by godelian »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:05 am
godelian wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:19 am You look at how to hack a particular system; especially, at how to make it crash. These systems all turn out to be hackable. Initially, it actually looks impossible to do. However, when you finally manage to "crash the program", you can tell everybody where the bugs are. Why? Because it is fun to do that. It would be like typing some stuff into facebook through the app and crashing the entire system worldwide. It would make you look smart and facebook look dumb. Ha ha ah!
Hmm.
Bertrand Russell's Principia Mathematica was a fat, big, arrogant publication that needed a lesson in humility.

So, Godel wrote his paper, On Formally Undecidable Propositions of Principia Mathematica and Related Systems, leading up to his Incompleteness theorems because he instinctively did not like the unwarranted confidence, i .e. hubris, in Russell's work.

Godel was the beginning of the katarsis for the phenomenon of mathematical positivism and by extension for scientism in general.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

godelian wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:31 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:05 am
Hmm.
Bertrand Russell's Principia Mathematica was a fat, big, arrogant publication that needed a lesson in humility.

So, Godel wrote his paper, On Formally Undecidable Propositions of Principia Mathematica and Related Systems, leading up to his Incompleteness theorems because he instinctively did not like the unwarranted confidence, i .e. hubris, in Russell's work.

Godel was the beginning of the katarsis for the phenomenon of mathematical positivism and by extension for scientism in general.
I've heard that Russell became an anarchist and more activist in his late years. I was always intrigued by the famous discussion in Russell's study concerning whether there was a rhinoceros (or something like that) in the room. Wittgenstein tried to convince Russell that he could not know for sure that there wasn't one Russell insisted that he could be sure, and it has been alleged that the two of them looked around the study for one just to prove their respective positions on the matter.

The world can be a crazy place sometimes. I just wish the wars would stop and humanity would work on sustainable practices.