Upcoming US Election

How should society be organised, if at all?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexiev

Re: Upcoming US Election

Post by Alexiev »

The upcoming election is destined to be a strange one. The American-flag-flying MAGA Trump supporters claim to love America, but despise our system of government and tried to overthrow the will of the voters.

In addition, they yammer constantly about how horrible America is. Huh? The stock market is at an all-time high; unemployment is non-existent; crime is down from the vaunted Reagan era. We aren't in any wars (except an occasional shelling of Yemini pirates). Biden has been an excellent President, if we can judge by results. But the Trump supporters somehow think otherwise.

I'll grant Biden is a lousy candidate. He's too old, and he never did have much charisma. But the narrative of how the country has gone to hell-in-a-handbag is so blatantly false that it's amazing that anyone believes it.

The Democrats are not as dangerous to America as Trump is, but they are incompetent. A competent party would find a candidate who would crush Trump in any election. As it is, we can only hope that Biden will squeak by.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Alexiev wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:03 pm The upcoming election is destined to be a strange one. The American-flag-flying MAGA Trump supporters claim to love America, but despise our system of government and tried to overthrow the will of the voters.

In addition, they yammer constantly about how horrible America is. Huh? The stock market is at an all-time high; unemployment is non-existent; crime is down from the vaunted Reagan era. We aren't in any wars (except an occasional shelling of Yemini pirates). Biden has been an excellent President, if we can judge by results. But the Trump supporters somehow think otherwise.

I'll grant Biden is a lousy candidate. He's too old, and he never did have much charisma. But the narrative of how the country has gone to hell-in-a-handbag is so blatantly false that it's amazing that anyone believes it.

The Democrats are not as dangerous to America as Trump is, but they are incompetent. A competent party would find a candidate who would crush Trump in any election. As it is, we can only hope that Biden will squeak by.
Yeah. The DNC canned Sanders. I really think Sanders would have been the difference in 2016. He'd have a been a much better President too than Trump. Instead we got Trump. Gotta love the Dumbocrats. But they're better than the alternative. The Repuglicans are off the radar. And now this is where we're at.
Alexiev

Post by Alexiev »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:30 pm

Yeah. The DNC canned Sanders. I really think Sanders would have been the difference in 2016. He'd have a been a much better President too than Trump. Instead we got Trump. Gotta love the Dumbocrats. But they're better than the alternative. The Repuglicans are off the radar. And now this is where we're at.
Sanders was as bad a candidate as Biden (I don't have an opinion on whether he would have been a good president). LIke Trump, he's negative. He was also too old. He came across as an old scold, wagging his fingers at the public and whining about the state of things in America.

Where has American patriotism gone? It seems to have disappeared. We've become a nation of whiners (and MAGA whines even more than the Dems, as hard as that may be to believe). Obama was not as good a president as Biden, if we can judge by the results. But he was an excellent candidate. He would stomp Trump. Why he didn't use his charisma and rhetorical skills when he was president is a mystery.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Alexiev wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:53 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:30 pm

Sanders was as bad a candidate as Biden (I don't have an opinion on whether he would have been a good president). LIke Trump, he's negative. He was also too old. He came across as an old scold, wagging his fingers at the public and whining about the state of things in America.

Where has American patriotism gone? It seems to have disappeared. We've become a nation of whiners (and MAGA whines even more than the Dems, as hard as that may be to believe). Obama was not as good a president as Biden, if we can judge by the results. But he was an excellent candidate. He would stomp Trump. Why he didn't use his charisma and rhetorical skills when he was president is a mystery.
People "whine" when they aren't approving of what they see going on. And considering the forever wars others got us into and which we just got out of, there was a LOT of reason to "whine". Sanders was pro-infrastructure and labor too. A shame that he lost really.
Last edited by Gary Childress on Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:44 pm I mean, ideally, if I object to it my hope is that the one who's trying to steal it would try to be a decent human being and not take something that they had no right to take if I objected to it. Otherwise, I'm too old and weak to win in a fight for it. I mean, if my choice is either fight for my home or die, I guess I'd just have to die, if that's what the thief wanted.
Yes, if the thief isn’t a nice guy, you’ll end up dead or severely beaten.:
Alexiev

Post by Alexiev »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:57 pm

People "whine" when they aren't approving of what they see going on. And considering the forever wars others got us into and which we just got out of, there was a LOT of reason to "whine". Sanders was pro-infrastructure and labor too. A shame that he lost really.
That's where I disagree. There's less reason to whine about now than at (almost) any time in U.S. history. 1940s -- WW2; 1950s -- Korean War; 1960s -70s, Vietnam War, and a country more divided than it is now; 80s and 90s recessions and the first Iraq war; 2000s and 2010s -- 9/11, war in Iraq and Afghanistan, a recession.

By comparison the country is humming right along now. MAGA can barely find anything to whine about -- but they manage. "Oh the homeless bums we have to see on the streets!" Good grief. Get over it. "Oh these woke losers advocating white guilt and fluid genders!" Holy cow! That's the only thing you can find to complain about? Why would anyone care?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

inflation, open border, homeless junkies, defunded police, over taxed and over regulated business...

nope, the democrats have made America another leftist utopia

-Imp
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Alexiev wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:12 am"Oh the homeless bums we have to see on the streets!" Good grief. Get over it.
What's the conservative solution to that problem anyway? What policies do they propose?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Alexiev wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:12 am

That's where I disagree. There's less reason to whine about now than at (almost) any time in U.S. history. 1940s -- WW2; 1950s -- Korean War; 1960s -70s, Vietnam War, and a country more divided than it is now; 80s and 90s recessions and the first Iraq war; 2000s and 2010s -- 9/11, war in Iraq and Afghanistan, a recession.

By comparison the country is humming right along now. MAGA can barely find anything to whine about -- but they manage. "Oh the homeless bums we have to see on the streets!" Good grief. Get over it. "Oh these woke losers advocating white guilt and fluid genders!" Holy cow! That's the only thing you can find to complain about? Why would anyone care?
Why would anyone care?
If you don't know the answer to that question then what right do you have to your own place in society?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:35 am

Why would anyone care?
If you don't know the answer to that question then what right do you have to your own place in society?
Sculptor I agree.
However fluid gender is here but it remains hard to comprehend for many if not most people.
Gender studies (social psychology) and colonisation(history and anthropology) should cover these urgent questions in school syllabuses, age related in presentation.
Alexiev

Post by Alexiev »

Impenitent wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:31 am inflation, open border, homeless junkies, defunded police, over taxed and over regulated business...

nope, the democrats have made America another leftist utopia

-Imp
Waaah! Waaah! Oh no! Brown people are entering the country illegally! Some homeless people are junkies! (Nothing new to see here, move along.)

One question, though. If we aren't going to tax people, how are we going to fund the police? Also, don't the police "regulate" business? You know, arresting thieves
and such. If we defund them, businesses wouldn't be "over regulated", would they?

The U.S. is no utopia. But, except for climate change, life here is better than it ever has been.

Oh. I almost forgot about the horrible problem of transgender women using the women's bathroom! That freaks me out! It's the worst thing that's ever happened in America!
Alexiev

Post by Alexiev »

Why would anyone care?
Your post puzzles me, Sculptor. I can't be certain if it demonstrates that you can't read, or that you can't write.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Alexiev wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:32 pm

Why would anyone care?
Your post puzzles me, Sculptor. I can't be certain if it demonstrates that you can't read, or that you can't write.
Well since it is perfectly grammatical and also perfectly follows from the above comment, the confusion is stays in your court (or would you prefer "ball park" sine English, for you, might be second-hand)
Alexiev

Post by Alexiev »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:02 pm
Well since it is perfectly grammatical and also perfectly follows from the above comment, the confusion is stays in your court (or would you prefer "ball park" sine English, for you, might be second-hand)
Your standards of "perfection" are feeble.