Sex and the Religious-Left

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Re: Sex and the Religious-Left

Post by Gary Childress »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:33 pm Gary, you did recognize that he is speaking of servitude to higher values, right? Did that really get by you?

It is weird to me the reaction — a deep resentment it seems — that is invoked when the idea of higher endeavors and those who realize them are held up as being exemplary.

What is this about, Gary? What do you think?
So "excellent" people seek "higher endeavors" and are "oppressed" by them? Or what is this nonsense about? I mean, they can always become ditch diggers and have all the "freedom" they wish. As far as I'm concerned endeavors don't get much "higher" than farming and growing food. Starvation would kind of suck. All hail farmers (as far as I'm concerned)! Carpenters and mechanics are up there too. Not sure what planet you live on.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Harbal wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:36 pm
seeds wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:16 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:16 pm
Antidote to Alice Cooper.
What an amazing mastery of one of the most difficult instruments in the world to play.
_______
It looks incredibly difficult to play, and I can only but wonder why someone would be prepared to devote the time and effort that the mastering of that instrument must require, only to produce the sound that it results in.
Yeah, it must have something to do with its ethereal ("heavenly") quality that draws certain people to it.

Either that, or they had one (a harp) sitting around the house when they were kids, and mom or dad got them started on it.

Personally, I have enough of a challenge dealing with the mere six strings on a guitar.

My first one (a '63 Fender Jaguar) was handed down to me from my older brother in 1963 where I soon thereafter played lead guitar in a local band named the "MAD LADS" :shock: :lol: (I was around 14 at the time.)

We're probably derailing the thread, but am I correct in assuming that you play guitar and have made some recordings?
_______
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

seeds wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:44 pm
We're probably derailing the thread, but am I correct in assuming that you play guitar and have made some recordings?
_______
What makes you ask that?

Don't worry about derailing the thread.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Harbal wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:49 pm
_______
What makes you ask that?

Yeah. I like the new topic better. A person can make sense of a guitar. The "religious left" maybe not as much.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

_______
What makes you ask that?

You can’t derail this thread.

I see Harbal going solo
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Yeah I'm with Gary. Anybody can be an 'excellent gentlemen' if they have the money. Culture and nobility isn't determined by genetics or education - that's a myth - but by wallet size.

Any man who makes a hunerd dollars or more an hour is capable of being an excellent gentlemen. Financially able, i mean. Duddint mean he'll ever become more than a tasteless uncultured pleb. He may squander his financial power on superfluous things or have substantial debt, continue shopping at Walmart, voting republican and watching wrestling on TV. But the money is there. He just spends it wrongly on uncultured things that keep him heathen.

Alls I'm saying is it's the money that makes the circumstances possible for excellence and excellent gentlemen.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:51 pm
_______
What makes you ask that?

Yeah. I like the new topic better. A person can make sense of a guitar. The "religious left" maybe not as much.
Do you know much about guitars, Gary? 🤔
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Harbal wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:56 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:51 pm

What makes you ask that?

Do you know much about guitars, Gary? 🤔
No. I don't. I like the sound, though. But there's lots of good music out there from all kinds of instruments. And it's much more pleasant to listen to than what I'm hearing so far from Ortega y Gasset.
seeds

Post by seeds »

_______
What makes you ask that?

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that several years ago you provided a link to a YouTube video (on your channel?) that had a strange and catchy little song on it that, for some reason, I thought you yourself wrote and recorded.

The video was in black and white and had a couple of weird looking characters doing some geeky dance to the music.

Again, I could be wrong. But that's why I asked.
_______
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

This one goes out to Promethean ….
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

seeds wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:13 pm
_______
What makes you ask that?

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that several years ago you provided a link to a YouTube video (on your channel?) that had a strange and catchy little song on it that, for some reason, I thought you yourself wrote and recorded.

The video was in black and white and had a couple of weird looking characters doing some geeky dance to the music.

_______
I don't remember mentioning it, but you're not wrong. 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvt9GG ... zdsv-Jgnsg
seeds

Post by seeds »

Harbal wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:30 pm
seeds wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:13 pm

What makes you ask that?

_______
I don't remember mentioning it, but you're not wrong. 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvt9GG ... zdsv-Jgnsg
Good stuff there, Harbal.

How about a rundown on the gear you used, not only to play, but to record those songs?

Did you play all of the parts?
_______
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

seeds wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:46 pm
How about a rundown on the gear you used, not only to play, but to record those songs?

_______
Except the drums; I programmed those in. It's quite a while ago, and I've had various gear and gadgets since then, so I can't remember exactly what I used. Are you interested in that kind of thing?
seeds

Post by seeds »

Harbal wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:57 pm

_______
Except the drums; I programmed those in. It's quite a while ago, and I've had various gear and gadgets since then, so I can't remember exactly what I used. Are you interested in that kind of thing?
Always.

Back in the 80's and 90's (for 11 years), I used to own and engineer a small 16 track analog (reel-to-reel) studio that pretty much took up the entire first floor of the home I used to live at in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Individuals and bands of all genres of music, from all over West Michigan, would come to record there.

I still have some of the equipment left over from those days.

I too used to write and record my own songs, doing all of the instruments and vocals (except for drums) for, like you, I would either program a drum machine, or snatch a drummer from the pool of my customers to lay a part for me.

It was great fun while it lasted.
_______
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

seeds wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:34 pm
Harbal wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:57 pm

_______
Always.

Back in the 80's and 90's (for 11 years), I used to own and engineer a small 16 track analog (reel-to-reel) studio that pretty much took up the entire first floor of the home I used to live at in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Individuals and bands of all genres of music, from all over West Michigan, would come to record there.

I still have some of the equipment left over from those days.

I too used to write and record my own songs, doing all of the instruments and vocals (except for drums) for, like you, I would either program a drum machine, or snatch a drummer from the pool of my customers to lay a part for me.

It was great fun while it lasted.
_______
I'll try to think of something interesting to say, and get back to you.