What are 'Human' traits that a machine or chatbot, cannot copy online?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: What are 'Human' traits that a machine or chatbot, cannot copy online?

Post by Sculptor »

Wizard22 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:56 pm I think you're missing some crucial factors of the current capabilities of AI.

Contemporary AI, right now, is "designed" to "make choices" in almost the same way a parent "designs" his/her child to "make choices". In both circumstances, we are less and less predictive of the outcomes. We hope that the child, or the AI, makes the "correct" choices and outcomes to what we desire, but Choice is finnicky, and imperfect. Sometimes the outcomes are far better than we expect, sometimes far worse. Our Education improves, based on the improvement of better outcomes. We want more better results; and we want better quality results. The better the education (programming), the better the successes. But those are never guaranteed.

I do remember my education/indoctrination/training/programming, very well in fact. Philosophy helped me "un-learn" most of that bullshit. But it also taught me, it's not all bad. SOME discipline is required. SOME fantastical beliefs are worth holding onto. SOME of the fairy-tales, have practical and pragmatic value. SOME traditions are worth reaffirming and continuing. You don't need to believe in Santa Clause, to value family getting together during December and exchanging gifts. It's a nice tradition, without any metaphysical or mystical mumbo-jumbo.

As it applies to AI, obviously its product and consequences, are going to be mostly 'determined' by the programmers, the code, the sophistication and complexity put into it...

ChatGPTs are already passing the Turing Test. So what comes next?
THere is one overrideing limitation of AI.
It has no interest, volition, purpose. I t cannot recognise a result in its own favour as it has nothing upon which to base an advantage.
When a child choses to put its hand in a fire it learns about heat and pain.
AI can only respond to things it has been instructed to repsond to.
It cannot undestand what it is doing in ANY sense.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:36 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:42 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:10 am It's not a contradiction.
Simply that AI has nothing like the learning process.
If you'd followed the links I'd presented about potential misuse and risks of AI,....
And if only you had been following what I have written you would know what I meant when I said that AI has nothing like a learning process.
Call it what you will, it can acquire abilities and act on them.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:41 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:42 pm
If you'd followed the links I'd presented about potential misuse and risks of AI,....
And if only you had been following what I have written you would know what I meant when I said that AI has nothing like a learning process.
No it cannot.
Abilities are programmed. "It" cannot act on things. It makes automnomic responses.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:26 pm

No it cannot.
Abilities are programmed. "It" cannot act on things. It makes automnomic responses.
Am AI can make responses that surprise and amaze its programmers. It’s called machine learning.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

commonsense wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:02 pm
No it cannot.
Am AI can make responses that surprise and amaze its programmers. It’s called machine learning.
That's just hype.
Programmers build in the so -called "learning". AI does not grow. It's always back to square one.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:27 pm

No it cannot.
That's just hype.
Programmers build in the so -called "learning". AI does not grow. It's always back to square one.
In advanced AI, the programmers initiate the learning process but do not control it once it starts.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

No it cannot.
You are simply wrong. You are decades behind on how they make these things.
One learned Bengalia without being asked to do this.
https://www.tbsnews.net/tech/ai-teaches ... gla-619070
Machine learning is not traditional programming and given their access now to huge amounts of data, very generalized heuristics are leading them to learn things they are programmed, as you say, to learn.

And, you know, if you actually looked at the links, there was some of this information in there.
You simply do not know what you are talking about and sometimes Sculptor you are just a waste of a conversation partner.
Hold onto your preconceptions or learn, I don't give a shit.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:27 pm That's just hype.
👆 This is what being trapped in one's ignorance looks like.

How can a bunch of programmers who cannot play Go or Chess build a computer program which learns how to beat the best Go and Chess players in the world?

They didn't teach the computer to play Go and Chess - how could they? The programmers are mediocre Go and Chess players at best.

This level of semantic sophistry over the "true meaning of the word learning" is what dumb fuck philosophy amounts to.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Skepdick wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:05 am
LuckyR wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:06 pm Considering the extreme variability in the quality of posts online from humans, AI should be undetectable since no matter what it comes up with there's likely a human who makes similar "errors".
Yeah but the quantity of garbage while every AI struggles to be "heard" (in pursuit of selling you stuff).
Well, plenty of humans seek to sell you stuff.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

commonsense wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:18 pm
Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:27 pm

That's just hype.
In advanced AI, the programmers initiate the learning process but do not control it once it starts.
But the system cannot "know". AI ia a langauge model. It does not understand what it seems to "know".
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:28 pm
No it cannot.
Machine learning is not traditional programming and given their access now to huge amounts of data, very generalized heuristics are leading them to learn things they are programmed, as you say, to learn.

And, you know, if you actually looked at the links, there was some of this information in there.
You simply do not know what you are talking about and sometimes Sculptor you are just a waste of a conversation partner.
I've been looking at this question for 40 years, from the first claims about programs wirting programs.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:39 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:28 pm

No it cannot.

I've been looking at this question for 40 years, from the first claims about programs wirting programs.
You are really behind time as with most your other philosophical knowledge; that is why you always run away leaving a trail of shit whenever the discussion get more serious deeper, and rigorous.
Unfortunately, I believe your self-learning capacities re philosophy is severely atrophized and damaged while the ego is hardened.
Self-learning systems are artificial agents that can acquire and renew knowledge on their own over time, without the need for hard coding. These are adaptive systems whose functionalities increase through a learning process that is generally based on trial and error, a learning model influenced by neurosciences. A self-learning system first seeks to engage with its users or the surrounding environment and then observes the changes generated by its activities.
https://www.formica.ai/blog/which-ai-is ... by-its-own
Veritas Aequitas

Rapid AI Progress Surprises Even Experts: Survey just out

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Rapid AI Progress Surprises Even Experts: Survey just out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS_iSrmCH5c
"Today I have very interesting results from a survey among 3000 AI experts. The most interesting result is that they now think AI is going to change the world even faster than they said just a year ago.
Both human level machine intelligence and full automation of labour could happen this century."
While there is some potential threat,
I believe the doubt about AI is the same as the masses that were once against the advent of the trains, the electronic calculator, the computer and now AI.

Point is all those past "threats" had taken the previous laborious workload off the shoulders of humans and relieve and facilitate them to think deeper, further and more rigorously.

This is necessary because these advancements enable us to be more aware of greater global and galactical threats to the human species, thus enable the possibility of preventing the problems.
Naturally, the potential evil is also increased but the parallel increase in the moral progress will curb the manifestations of greater evils.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:37 pm But the system cannot "know". AI ia a langauge model. It does not understand what it seems to "know".
How would you know if it understood? How do you know if you understand anything?