Belief in Abstract Objects is Irrational?

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Iwannaplato

Re: Belief in Abstract Objects is Irrational

Post by Iwannaplato »

Peter Holmes wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:38 pm
phyllo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:31 pm
If ghosts are real, they are not abstract, for example. They are even potentially observables.
How come "ghosts" isn't a "universal" and therefore not observable?
Quite. A fairy is an observable, concrete particular. But 'fairy' is an unobservable, abstract universal. What complete cobblers.
Again, I used the plural. If ghosts are real. So, all those experience entities, should they be real, are observable. I didn't say 'ghost' is real. I mean, hell, sometimes I teach English.

And, unless I missed something, I was pointing out, in my first post, that VA's attack on your position was just as good aimed at his. He's a metaphysical antirealist/constructive empiricist, but he has a beef with your skepticism about universals???????

And he's not an agnostic constructive empiricist - like maybe there are quarks, but it's best to consider them useful fictions - He's an atheist version. There are no quarks, according to him.

That said, given the ambiguousness of his title and op combined, I can't be sure what position he's putting forward in this thread.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

YOu changed it to the singular.
I'm not sure what you mean. I should have written "How come "ghosts" aren't "universal" ... "? I think that would have changed the meaning of what I was asking.
I referred to ghosts. I am not saying we ban the word 'rats'.
You seemed to be treating rats and ghosts differently.
But yes the universal ghost, if you are an antirealist, does not exist.
I don't think realism and anti-realism are the issue.

Realists can say that a universal ghost doesn't exist. But particular ghosts or rats exist.
Anti-realists can say that both universal and particular ghosts or rats don't exist.
And, my responses are in the context of VA's beliefs. Or at least what he has said was the case.
I thought that these ideas were transferable.

My mistake.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:44 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:47 am Biologists will study a universal-rat not that-specific-thing [animal].
This supposed universal-rat is not observable. It is deduced, or, really conceptualized into existence. And it is certainly not an object.

When we can pet the universal rat, then we can call re-evaluate.
Strawman.

I wrote:
Btw, even with the highest rational mode of science, the things are dealt on an abstract universal basis not in relation to a particular thing.
Biologists will study a universal-rat not that-specific-thing [animal].

First I have demonstrated that the existence of abstract-object-proper, e.g. currencies etc. is not irrational. This is one perspective.

In the above OP the main point is I have insisted the most rational are scientific facts.

But in another more refined perspective from the above, science ultimate inductive focus is with abstracted-objects not any specific particular.
While scientists [note Biologists] do study individual rats, scientific conclusions are always inferred with reference to a universal, e.g. ALL rats are medium-sized, long-tailed rodents. i.e. on a species basis.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat

My overall point is we should not focus on whether abstract objects exists or irrational but rather we should focus on the human-based FSRK relied upon for any claim whether a thing exists or not.
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Aequitas

Consul wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:23 pm
Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:44 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:47 am Biologists will study a universal-rat not that-specific-thing [animal].
This supposed universal-rat is not observable. It is deduced, or, really conceptualized into existence. And it is certainly not an object.

Universals are clearly not observable. Does one turn to the left or the right? Where are these objects?
Immanent (aka concrete) universals are possible objects of sensory perception, and they are where the concrete particulars are that instantiate them.

However, there is a difference between (immanent or transcendent) nonsubstantial universals aka attributes (properties, qualities, quantities) and (immanent or transcendent) substantial universals aka kinds (species, genera, types). If one believes in the existence of the former, one can but needn't also believe in the existence of the latter. When one observes a rat, one can see its properties (qua immanent universals); but whether one can also see the kind rat (qua immanent kind-universal) is a highly contentious issue.
In my OP I have not claimed one can see a universal-rat, i.e. the species.

My point is, those who insist existence of abstract-objects is irrational are ignorant that they are in fact dealing with abstracted-things when they accept scientific facts as credible and objective.
In this perspective, they should regard themselves as irrational.
Veritas Aequitas

phyllo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:15 pm
Pending evidence for the existence of so-called abstract or non-physical things, belief that they exist is irrational.
This extends to ...

Without evidence for the existence of something, either physical or non-physical or abstract, belief that it exists is irrational.

Hardly surprising.
The point is PH is so confident [ignorantly] abstract or non-physical things cannot exists and to him there is no way one can bring any evidence to support it.
In the OP I have proven him wrong with examples of abstract objects like currencies [back by trust], share prices [not NTA based], etc.

The scientific-universal-rat is a side issue from another perspective.
Veritas Aequitas

Consul wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:27 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:47 am Generally, physical things verified via the scientific FSRKs has the highest degrees of objectivity and rationality.
However, there are abstract things from the social sciences, e.g. psychological things are considered rational and has utilities, albeit is degree of objectivity cannot be as high as those of the natural sciences.

There are many other abstract things that are considered rational which has high utility values, e.g. from the human-based FSRKs like mathematical, social constructs, economics, legal, financials, etc.
Note for example currencies and share prices from the economics FSRK which has reasonable high objectivity and rationality in contrast to the human-based scientific FSRK as the standard.

On the other extreme of the continuum, there are those who claimed for the existence of highly abstract things, e.g. god in theism, ghosts, spirits, various pseudo-scientific claims. Whilst they are backed by specific human-based FSRKs, their degrees of rationality could be negligible, thus irrational relative to the rationality of the scientific FSRK.
All physical, mental, or social entities are concrete entities (in the ontological sense of "concrete").
What is 'concrete' is with reference to philosophical realism, i.e. something that is absolutely mind-independent.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_realism

I am ANTI-Philosophical_Realism so I do not agree with this concrete vs abstract dichotomy.
Rather what exists, is real, factual and objective is conditioned upon a specific human-based framework and system of realization [of reality] and knowledge [FSRK].

From the more realistic Kantian sense [not conventional nor scientific], all ontological claims of a thing-in-itself are illusory, thus cannot be concrete, substantive nor constitutive.
Veritas Aequitas

Peter Holmes wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:57 pm I find it incredible that there is still serious talk about universals - immanent or otherwise.

We use the word rat to talk about the things we call rats. So the story was that the word rat must be the name of a thing of some kind - an abstraction or universal or Platonic form - that all those particular rats more or less inaccurately instantiate, like imperfect copies, or shadows in Plato's cave.

It's an ancient and laughable delusion - a bewitchment by a linguistic device, mistaking what we say - such as the names we use - for the way things are. It's mysticism pure and simple. I'm flabbergasted.
Strawman as usual.
What I stated has nothing to do with Platonic forms.

I stated all scientific facts [from another perspective] from the human based scientific FSRK, are universals as inferred based on induction.
You deny scientific facts which are grounded upon universals are invalid and irrational?
Veritas Aequitas

Atla wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:18 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:47 am On the other extreme of the continuum, there are those who claimed for the existence of highly abstract things, e.g. god in theism, ghosts, spirits, various pseudo-scientific claims.
VA has no idea what "abstract" even means. God, ghosts, spirits for example aren't abstract at all, they are concrete.

No one can solve the mistery how VA gets every basic philosophical concept so wrong. It just doesn't make any sense.
What is concrete vs abstract is only claimed specifically from the ideological Philosophical Realism's perspective. I reject philosophical realism because it is grounded on illusions.
From the ANTI-philosophical_realist [Kantian], god in theism, ghosts, spirits, are ultimately claims of abstract things which has negligible degree of rationality and objectivity.

Why Philosophical Realism is Illusory
viewtopic.php?t=40167
Veritas Aequitas

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:55 pm And he's not an agnostic constructive empiricist - like maybe there are quarks, but it's best to consider them useful fictions - He's an atheist version. There are no quarks, according to him.

That said, given the ambiguousness of his title and op combined, I can't be sure what position he's putting forward in this thread.
Strawman.

I have never claimed there are no quarks.

There are quarks but only real as conditioned upon the science-particle_Physics FSRK.
As I had stated the scientific FSRK is the most credible, realistic and objective at present; there are no other more realistic and objective FSRK [at their best] than the scientific FSRK.

OP's position?
I stated this 2x in the OP
"PH's views as usual are narrow, shallow, dogmatic and based on ignorance of reality" as supported with the whole argument in the OP.
As usual, you are going out of context, thus the 'fracas' that followed.
Veritas Aequitas

phyllo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:07 pm
But yes the universal ghost, if you are an antirealist, does not exist.
I don't think realism and anti-realism are the issue.

Realists can say that a universal ghost doesn't exist. But particular ghosts or rats exist.
Anti-realists can say that both universal and particular ghosts or rats don't exist.
Fundamentally it is a Realist [philosophical /metaphysical] vs ANTI-realist issue.
OP wrote:First,
There are Two Senses of Reality [& existence]
viewtopic.php?t=40265
i.e.
1. Human-based FSRK sense of existence and reality [anti-realism].
2. The philosophical realism, mind-independence sense of existence and reality.
I have demonstrated the philosophical realism, mind-independence sense of existence and reality [relied upon by PH] is grounded on an illusion and thus delusional, and so, in the most refined sense is irrational.
viewtopic.php?t=40167

PH is dammed sure abstract objects cannot exist based on realism, i.e. absolute mind-independence, because abstract-objects are mind-dependent.

In the OP, I have demonstrated abstract-objects do exist, are evident and accepted as real, e.g. currencies [not asset based], corporate shares [not based on NTA], and others which are grounded on intersubjectivity [i.e. anti-realism] based on their respective framework and system.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

I'm not interested in your FARSK nonsense.

I'm not interested in your endless fighting with PH.

I'm not interested in your childish insults.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

phyllo wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:07 pm I'm not sure what you mean. I should have written "How come "ghosts" aren't "universal" ... "? I think that would have changed the meaning of what I was asking.
Well, it's always good to use the language the person you are saying is using the language incorrectly is using.

OK. In my first post I am pointing out that VA's position given his antirealism should not allow for universals to be real objects.

In Von Frassen's antirealism one can refer to unobservables as part of a useful fiction. He isn't telling people that you can't talk about them, because doing so allows for a model that is useful. So, one can talk about rats. And he would not deny the existence of any particular 'thing' that gets called rat, because any individual example is observable. If the people who believe ghosts are real are correct. IOW they are seeing actual entities and not confusing wind moaning and fuzz in their eyes with ghosts, they are having experiencing of observable objects. Just as someone who sees a rat would be seeing an observable (and not, for example, a shadow or a large dust ball in the corner of their room. They each would be having a sensory experience of an observable.

Ghosts are not like beauty or thinking that cannot be seen, if those objects are in fact real.

Instead of, for example, the sensory experiences of other things that are observable being confused with an afterdeath portion of a former human.

Like, say, rogue waves turned out to be real. You had people saying they saw rogue waves. Scientists said they were mistaken. There could not be large singlular wves in fair weather of that size. There were not abstract entities, just because scientists thought the people who claimed a forty foot wave hit their boat in otherwise calm seas. Yes, perhaps the people's emotions radically affected their perception or they were high or seasick and there was no such phenomenon. But the scientists were wrong, as video cameras in ship bridges and then satellite photographs later showed. It happens that such things happen.

But it was always a claim about a concrete entity. Just as people who experience ghosts are making claims about concrete entities.

And while one cannot point a finger at the universal 'ghotsts' that is for Von frassen a useful fiction about

plural cases of real concrete phenomena, be they rats or ghosts.

And all of that is me arguing that VA does not get to mock PH for being skeptical about universals being real objects, because his own antirealism should make him agree with PH there.

But the idea of agreeing with PH is so abhorrant he disagrees, not realizing that he is contradicting his own constructive empiricism, a la Von Frassen, whom he has quoted a number of times. Now I will guess that VA will say he doesn't agree with everything VF says. But the problem with that is that he is EVEN MORE strongly skeptical about the existence of universals than VF. He has asserted many times that unobservables don't existence. VF is more cautious. He says we should not assert that those useful fictions are real. On the other hand any instance of what gets called a rat, a constructive empiricist or a metaphysical antirealist can certainly consider real, since they are observable (experienceable).

So, you can talk about rats as a category and potentially ghosts as a category, to smooth over conversations. Each individual experienced rat is considered real, via whatever the specifics of your antirealist methodology - and both Von Frassen and VA are fans of science, though my guess is the former understands it better than the latter. You still get to use nouns, since this is a useful fiction, a way of talking about similar real things, even though VF is skeptical about the existence of the universal.

In the case of ghosts, well, you'd have to meet the particular epistemology of the particular antirealist for them to say that any particular ghost is real.
Last edited by Iwannaplato on Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:16 am
Atla wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:18 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:47 am On the other extreme of the continuum, there are those who claimed for the existence of highly abstract things, e.g. god in theism, ghosts, spirits, various pseudo-scientific claims.
VA has no idea what "abstract" even means. God, ghosts, spirits for example aren't abstract at all, they are concrete.

No one can solve the mistery how VA gets every basic philosophical concept so wrong. It just doesn't make any sense.
What is concrete vs abstract is only claimed specifically from the ideological Philosophical Realism's perspective. I reject philosophical realism because it is grounded on illusions.
From the ANTI-philosophical_realist [Kantian], god in theism, ghosts, spirits, are ultimately claims of abstract things which has negligible degree of rationality and objectivity.

viewtopic.php?t=40167
Then your thread is alredy moot, since PH is not a Kantian anti-realist who just time-traveled forward from the late 18th century. Nor was Kant mentioned in the OP and thread title. But even then, I can't really get God to say it
Atla the KG wrote:In Kantian anti-realism, are gods, ghosts and fairies abstract?
God wrote:Kantian philosophy is primarily concerned with epistemology and metaphysics, focusing on the nature of human knowledge and the limits of human understanding. Immanuel Kant did not explicitly discuss gods, ghosts, or fairies in his philosophical works in the same way he addressed abstract concepts.

Kant's anti-realism is mainly associated with his transcendental idealism, which asserts that the objects of our experience are shaped by the structures of our own cognition. According to Kant, we can never know things as they are in themselves (noumena); instead, we only have access to phenomena, which are shaped by our mental categories and sensory experiences.

The classification of gods, ghosts, and fairies would depend on how one conceptualizes them. If these entities are considered as transcendent, existing independently of human cognition, Kantian philosophy would suggest that we cannot have knowledge about them as they are in themselves. However, if these entities are seen as products of human thought, imagination, or cultural constructs, then they would fall within the realm of phenomena shaped by human cognitive structures.

In essence, whether gods, ghosts, and fairies are considered abstract in Kantian anti-realism would depend on the perspective taken regarding their ontological status and their relation to human cognition.
Atla the KG wrote:In anti-realism, are gods, ghosts and fairies abstract or concrete?
God wrote:Anti-realism generally refers to the view that certain types of entities or properties do not exist independently of human thought or perception. In the context of anti-realism, the classification of entities like gods, ghosts, and fairies as abstract or concrete can depend on the specific philosophical framework being considered.

Abstract Anti-Realism:

In some anti-realistic perspectives, these entities might be considered abstract in the sense that they are seen as products of human imagination, cultural beliefs, or subjective experiences.
Gods, ghosts, and fairies may be regarded as mental constructs or cultural symbols that lack independent existence outside of human minds.
Concretely Mental Anti-Realism:

Some anti-realists might argue that while these entities are not independently existing in the external world, they do have a kind of existence as mental or psychological phenomena.
In this view, gods, ghosts, and fairies are concrete in the sense that they exist within the realm of human consciousness and thought.
Eliminative Anti-Realism:

On a more radical form of anti-realism, these entities might be dismissed altogether as having no meaningful existence, not even as abstract or mental constructs.
This eliminative stance denies the reality or significance of gods, ghosts, and fairies in any form.
It's important to note that anti-realism encompasses a variety of perspectives, and different philosophers may have nuanced views on the nature of existence and reality. The classification of entities like gods, ghosts, and fairies within an anti-realist framework can vary based on the specific arguments and positions adopted by philosophers within that framework.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Let's remember that Kant may have had autism, and autistics tend to think in one, big, layer-less system. Which I think is reflected throughout his philosophy. Whereas non-autistics tend to think in a multi-layered system, those are the layers of abstraction.

As such, Kant was using the concept of abstraction, but he meant something entirely different by it. The abstract vs concrete dichotomy is simply not part of his philosophy.

But it's such a centrally important dichotomy, that this time, it's not everyone else who has to adjust to the Kantian terminology, but it's the Kantian-anti-PHIL_o_SOP-hi-cal_realist-([FSR[double that[on monday evenings]]]-FSK)-proper-etc. that has to adjust to the concrete vs abstract terminology.

This was pointed out before of course
Schopenhauer wrote:Fundamental error: Kant did not distinguish between the concrete, intuitive, perceptual knowledge of objects and the abstract, discursive, conceptual, knowledge of thoughts.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Atla wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:41 am Let's remember that Kant may have had autism, and autistics tend to think in one, big, layer-less system. Which I think is reflected throughout his philosophy. Whereas non-autistics tend to think in a multi-layered system, those are the layers of abstraction.

As such, Kant was using the concept of abstraction, but he meant something entirely different by it. The abstract vs concrete dichotomy is simply not part of his philosophy.

But it's such a centrally important dichotomy, that this time, it's not everyone else who has to adjust to the Kantian terminology, but it's the Kantian-anti-PHIL_o_SOP-hi-cal_realist-([FSR[double that[on monday evenings]]]-FSK)-proper-etc. that has to adjust to the concrete vs abstract terminology.

This was pointed out before of course
Schopenhauer wrote:Fundamental error: Kant did not distinguish between the concrete, intuitive, perceptual knowledge of objects and the abstract, discursive, conceptual, knowledge of thoughts.
But all distinctions (including the concrete-abstract distinction) are themselves abstractions.

On a monist ontology everything is one. Your mind is just running around with scissors.