Do you believe in miracles?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Do you believe in miracles?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:29 pm

I believe in miracles
67%
I don’t believe in miracles
33%
I believe in miracles at times of global conflict
No votes
I think miracles prove divine retribution
No votes
I don’t think miracles are divine
No votes
I think miracles are caused by natural means
No votes
Miracles are illusionary
No votes
I think miracles are compensatory
No votes

Total votes: 3

Skepdick

Re: Do you believe in miracles?

Post by Skepdick »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:13 am Are you trying to claim that this syndome is a "miracle" or a medical condition?
Are you trying to claim that you are stupid? No need. We know.

The epistemic status of an observed event which is not predicted by the current and best medical or scientific understanding is that the event is inexplicable and unexpected - it's not supposed to happen! Clinically dead people are not supposed to come back to life! The best scientists and medical practitioners are unable to explain how or why clinically dead people do; in fact come back to life.

That is how we use the word "miracle". That is what makes the event miraculous.
miracle
/ˈmɪrɪkl/
noun
an extraordinary and welcome event that is not explicable by natural or scientific laws and is therefore attributed to a divine agency.
Until scientific and medical knowledge expands to the point where it can explain the occurrence of such events - they will remain miraculous. By definition!
godelian

Post by godelian »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:13 am Are you trying to claim that this syndome is a "miracle" or a medical condition?
My answer is strictly limited to the following context:

- "People no longer rise from the dead"
- They still do. (Cfr. Lazarus syndrome)

When they do, it constitutes an event that is inexplicable according to medical theory.

In this context, I am not interested in trying to figure out if such event is the result of supranatural intervention. That kind of discussion always degenerates into the question if God exists or not. In my experience, that discussion is uninteresting. Personally, I am religious, but I won't do any effort whatsoever to convince unbelievers.
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

godelian wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:31 am

When they do, it constitutes an event that is inexplicable according to medical theory.

In this context, I am not interested in trying to figure out if such event is the result of supranatural intervention. That kind of discussion always degenerates into the question if God exists or not. In my experience, that discussion is uninteresting. Personally, I am religious, but I won't do any effort whatsoever to convince unbelievers.
And there are many situations where conditions and diseases simply disappear, including terminal ones. Is this proof of something supernatural? No, does it mean we won't one day understand what is happening in those situations? No.

But here we are.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:37 am Is this proof of something supernatural? No.
Yes. It is.
supernatural
/ˌsuːpəˈnatʃ(ə)rəl/
adjective
(of a manifestation or event) attributed to some force beyond scientific understanding or the laws of nature.
Iwannaplato wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:37 am does it mean we won't one day understand what is happening in those situations? No.

But here we are.
It's just a game of moving things between categories. Maybe we will understand it. Maybe we won't.

Until we understand it - it remains supernatural.

Will it remain supernatural forever? I don't know.
When will it stop being supernatural? Maybe tomorrow. Maybe never.

Time is a fundamental resource to the would-be knower. Some phenomena are too complex to understand given the finite time we are given.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

godelian wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:31 am

This thread is about "MIRACLES"
Please answer the question.
ANy idiot knows that people, thought dead, can be not dead. In the USA in the 19thC some people were so afraid of being buried aline that they arranged for a bell-pull system in their coffins. Edgar Allan Poe even wrote a short story on the topic.
This medical condition of which you speak is not "rising from the dead" since these people only appeared to be dead.
godelian

Post by godelian »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:17 pm This medical condition of which you speak is not "rising from the dead" since these people only appeared to be dead.
They were dead, according to medical theory. The fact that they ultimately turned out not to be dead, is inexplicable by medical theory. Hence, it satisfies the definition of an event inexplicable by natural or scientific laws.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

godelian wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:26 pm
Sculptor wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:17 pm This medical condition of which you speak is not "rising from the dead" since these people only appeared to be dead.
They were dead, according to medical theory. The fact that they ultimately turned out not to be dead, is inexplicable by medical theory. Hence, it satisfies the definition of an event inexplicable by natural or scientific laws.
Nope. You are just being ridiculous.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Are any of the people in the graveyard dead or do they only appear to be dead.

How do you differentiate the two?

If you can't differentiate - are you prepared for the zombie apocalypse?
Sculptor wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:45 pm Nope. You are just being ridiculous.
Nope. You are just being dumb.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

godelian wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:26 pm
They were dead, according to medical theory. The fact that they ultimately turned out not to be dead, is inexplicable by medical theory.
That's not a medical theory, it is just an arbitrary set of criteria set by the medical profession (cessation of heartbeat and breathing, etc.), and probably required by the law, to determine the point at which someone is highly unlikely to be resuscitated. The point at which living tissue is considered to be dead will be determined by completely different criteria to those that declare a person clinically dead.
Hence, it satisfies the definition of an event inexplicable by natural or scientific laws.
No it doesn't. It simply means there is an absence of arbitrarily agreed upon vital signs, and that a prescribed number of resuscitation attempts have failed. It is probably very rare for someone to recover after being pronounced clinically dead, but it does happen, and I very much doubt that doctors think of it as a miracle when it does.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:19 pm
Sculptor wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:17 pm
I have to agree with Sculptor; you are being ridiculous.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Harbal wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:20 pm
Sculptor wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:17 pm
People on this forum agreeing ?!?!

Wow! A miracle!
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:22 pm
Harbal wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:20 pm
People on this forum agreeing ?!?!

Wow! A miracle!
Very few of us here use language appropriate to philosophy, which makes it very easy to misunderstand and misinterpret what is being said. That misunderstanding can be unintentional, but all too often it is deliberate, and done out of sheer contrariness, which seems to be your thing.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Harbal wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:32 pm Very few of us here use language appropriate to philosophy, which makes it very easy to misunderstand and misinterpret what is being said. That misunderstanding can be unintentional, but all too often it is deliberate, and done out of sheer contrariness, which seems to be your thing.
I only deliberately misinterpret people who deliberately misinterpret.

If you find yourself being perpetually misinterpreted by me, then rest assured that the problem is you.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Skepdick wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:42 pm
Harbal wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:32 pm Very few of us here use language appropriate to philosophy, which makes it very easy to misunderstand and misinterpret what is being said. That misunderstanding can be unintentional, but all too often it is deliberate, and done out of sheer contrariness, which seems to be your thing.
I suppose that would be some justification if true, but I don't know that it is. 🤔

Perhaps further observation is required. 🙂
If you find yourself being perpetually misinterpreted by me, then rest assured that the problem is you.
I go out of my may to be straight, so the problem has to be with you.
Last edited by Harbal on Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Harbal wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:46 pm
Skepdick wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:42 pm
I suppose that would be some justification if true, but I don't know that it is. 🤔

Perhaps further observation is required. 🙂
While you are collecting more observation, don't forget to inform yourself on the best strategy in Game Theory.

Tit for Tat.

https://youtu.be/mScpHTIi-kM?si=OtLnZ05bATHHY2Ax