Dear God: Life and Death

Should you think about your duty, or about the consequences of your actions? Or should you concentrate on becoming a good person?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Gary Childress

Dear God: Life and Death

Post by Gary Childress »

The only thing worth holding onto is life. Why? Because the alternative is the most fearful prospect there is for a living being. But what happens when it's no longer feasible to hold onto life? What should we do? Do we sit around and hypothesize about what might be the best way to die and hope to die in the best way? In my experience, hypothesizing on what is the best way to die, is the most depressing way to live. I wonder how it is that some people think there is a benevolent God.

We humans are at the mercy of forces beyond our control. Some of us pray to God for mercy. Some of us don't. What kind of world is this where one needs to beg not to die? It's not a benevolent world.
Angelo Cannata

Re: Dear God: Life and Death

Post by Angelo Cannata »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:57 am It's not a benevolent world.
Yes, it's not a benevolent world, but I think the situation is even worse, because we cannot just solve this way how to interpret the world. The world forces us to question our interpretations of it, including the negative ones: it invades us, some times, with such strong feelings of positivity that we are torn among these contradictory experiences.
This way we can't end up with any conclusion, not even negative conclusions. We are condemned not to stop.
But this is just a perspective: not being able to stop with any conclusion can be considered a good thing.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Angelo Cannata wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:31 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:57 am It's not a benevolent world.
Yes, it's not a benevolent world, but I think the situation is even worse, ...
Well, it does seem to be an outright hostile world we live in (let alone a non-benevolent one), if that's what you mean by the above. That I certainly agree with. And on top of that, apparently, the "creator" of the world sides with factions against each other or favors ("chooses") some but not others. This world is a mess, beyond a mess. It's hopeless. And creating a World War III is just making it beyond hopeless. I wish leaders would stop pushing us in that direction.

That's all I have to say right now and I will continue to reiterate it over and over.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"This world is a mess, beyond a mess. It's hopeless."

Not yet, Gary. As long as the worker has his ego, there's still hope.

This pleases pro75 (and Stirner too).
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:57 am The only thing worth holding onto is life.
Is that an inherent or learned value judgment, and why?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:18 am
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:57 am The only thing worth holding onto is life.
Is that an inherent or learned value judgment, and why?
In my case, it seems inherent. For you, I couldn't say. What do you think it is?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Gary Childress wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:57 am The only thing worth holding onto is life. Why? Because the alternative is the most fearful prospect there is for a living being. But what happens when it's no longer feasible to hold onto life? What should we do? Do we sit around and hypothesize about what might be the best way to die and hope to die in the best way? In my experience, hypothesizing on what is the best way to die, is the most depressing way to live. I wonder how it is that some people think there is a benevolent God.

We humans are at the mercy of forces beyond our control. Some of us pray to God for mercy. Some of us don't. What kind of world is this where one needs to beg not to die? It's not a benevolent world.
Folks face death in numerous scenarios. However, in the most common one (being elderly in failing health), death is commonly not necessarily a fearful prospect.