How is the Karma enforced?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

How is the Karma enforced?

Post by bahman »

I was wondering how Karma is enforced in Buddhism. Is there a deity who is in charge of the calculation of Karma?
Harbal

Re: How is the Karma enforced?

Post by Harbal »

bahman wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:48 pm I was wondering how Karma is enforced in Buddhism. Is there a deity who is in charge of the calculation of Karma?
This is all I could find on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IJI6soiQhI
bahman

Post by bahman »

Harbal wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:03 pm
bahman wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:48 pm I was wondering how Karma is enforced in Buddhism. Is there a deity who is in charge of the calculation of Karma?
This is all I could find on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IJI6soiQhI
Nice music!
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

It's better to think of it as, if you do X and have the attitude (hardness) that goes along with this you will attract, metaphorically as if you have an electric charge, something that will cause you to spark and lose that charge. There are theist Buddhists, but you don't need a deity to be a Buddhist (and sometimes, for some the Buddha can function as a kind of deity, but this isn't necessary in Buddhism either). You could think of Karma as a kind of nuanced gravity or magnetic field. It draws its own dissolution. I don't really like the Buddhist conception of Karma (nor the Hindu versions I've encountered) but that's my take on it. Theres no one meting out justice.

The winners write history and all that: so certain types and classes have justified their positions and abilities and universalized a model based on their own strengths (and weaknesses). Meditation doesn't cure all the avoidance of cognitive dissonance.
Walker

Post by Walker »

You mean the Karma Cop and the Karma Accountant?

- For honest calculations, we know that two should be in charge of income and expenditures, one for each. This SOP discourages cooking the books.
- Is two also necessary for the policing and accounting of karma, or anything else?
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

the Karma is enforced by Boy George

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw

-Imp
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

It's another variation of the teleological thought-police like religion, and it falls apart when u examine it.

Consider this. If i steal Joe's wallet, am i accruing bad karma? Well wait a minute. Joe musta done somethin bad himself if he got his wallet stolen, right? He's got bad karma, so his wallet gets stolen. So me stealing his wallet is actually an act of enforcing the karmic balance then? See whuddum sayin?

It duddint make any sense. How can the great karma-keepers indict me for doing something bad when what i did (steal Joe's wallet) was an act of karmic justice against joe?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:51 pm
It's better to think of it as, if you do X and have the attitude (hardness) that goes along with this you will attract, metaphorically as if you have an electric charge, something that will cause you to spark and lose that charge. There are theist Buddhists, but you don't need a deity to be a Buddhist (and sometimes, for some the Buddha can function as a kind of deity, but this isn't necessary in Buddhism either). You could think of Karma as a kind of nuanced gravity or magnetic field. It draws its own dissolution. I don't really like the Buddhist conception of Karma (nor the Hindu versions I've encountered) but that's my take on it. Theres no one meting out justice.
I think that if Karma is true then there must be at least a person in charge of it.
Iwannaplato wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:51 pm The winners write history and all that: so certain types and classes have justified their positions and abilities and universalized a model based on their own strengths (and weaknesses). Meditation doesn't cure all the avoidance of cognitive dissonance.
I agree.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Walker wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:51 am
You mean the Karma Cop and the Karma Accountant?
Both. Both can be one person though.
Walker wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:51 am - For honest calculations, we know that two should be in charge of income and expenditures, one for each. This SOP discourages cooking the books.
- Is two also necessary for the policing and accounting of karma, or anything else?
No really. Just that.
bahman

Post by bahman »

promethean75 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:30 pm It's another variation of the teleological thought-police like religion, and it falls apart when u examine it.

Consider this. If i steal Joe's wallet, am i accruing bad karma? Well wait a minute. Joe musta done somethin bad himself if he got his wallet stolen, right? He's got bad karma, so his wallet gets stolen. So me stealing his wallet is actually an act of enforcing the karmic balance then? See whuddum sayin?

It duddint make any sense. How can the great karma-keepers indict me for doing something bad when what i did (steal Joe's wallet) was an act of karmic justice against joe?
Ahan, so you are Karma Cop!?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

bahman wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:10 pm I think that if Karma is true then there must be at least a person in charge of it.
Well, you've got the makings of your own ontology/causality, but it'll be different from Buddhism.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Iwannaplato wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:44 pm
bahman wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:10 pm I think that if Karma is true then there must be at least a person in charge of it.
Well, you've got the makings of your own ontology/causality, but it'll be different from Buddhism.
Correct, but Karma looks like magic in the absence of a person who takes care of it.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

The whole idea is an invention to make people take responsibility for their actions and as an explanation of who people are born unequally- either economically, physically or mentally. As if some sort of cosmic justice would explain why some are cursed with disabilities.

I'm nor sure if the Buddhists have a rationale about hwo or what is the cosmic accountant, or by what means such an account is kept.
Walker

Post by Walker »

bahman wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:11 pm...
Here's a parallel reference to karma enforcement:
viewtopic.php?p=693591#p693591
bahman

Post by bahman »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:27 pm
The whole idea is an invention to make people take responsibility for their actions and as an explanation of who people are born unequally- either economically, physically or mentally. As if some sort of cosmic justice would explain why some are cursed with disabilities.
Maybe the cosmic justice is right. How could you disprove it?
Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:27 pm I'm nor sure if the Buddhists have a rationale about hwo or what is the cosmic accountant, or by what means such an account is kept.
I agree.