Cosmological Arg. is NOT Deductively Valid

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Cosmological Arg. is NOT Deductively Valid

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

-Richard Swinburne -The Existence of God pg 135
"The starting points of cosmological arguments are evident facets of experience.
There is no doubt about the truth of statements that report that they hold.
It seems to me equally evident that no argument from any of such starting points to the existence of God is deductively valid.

For, if an argument from, for example, the existence of a complex physical universe to the existence of God were deductively valid, then it would be incoherent to assert that a complex physical universe exists and God does not exist.
There would be a hidden contradiction buried in such co-assertions.

Now, the only way to prove a proposition to be incoherent is to deduce from it an obviously incoherent proposition (for example, a self-contradictory proposition),[1] but, notoriously, attempts to derive obviously incoherent propositions from such co-assertions have failed through the commission of some elementary logical error.

I argue for this claim about how incoherence is to be proved in The Coherence of Theism (Clarendon Press, 1993), ch. 3. I argue also that the main way to prove the coherence of a claim is to spell out in an obviously coherent way one way in which it could be true—that is, one obviously coherent conjunction of propositions that entail the claim."

Here is an exposition from AI-bot comparing Kant with Swinburne re the Cosmological Argument:

Explanation 1:
Swinburne argues:
· We can easily observe and accept things like the existence of the universe (starting points of cosmological arguments).
· However, no argument starting from such observations can deduce God's existence in a way that makes denying God impossible (deductively valid).
· If such an argument existed, believing in the universe while also denying God would be like declaring a statement and its opposite true at the same time (incoherent).

· Attempts to show this incoherence by pointing out contradictions have failed due to logical errors.

Kant argued:
· Reason can be divided into practical and speculative. Practical reason guides our actions, while speculative reason tries to prove things like the existence of God.
· Speculative reason cannot reach God because it relies on categories like space and time, which only apply to our experience of the world.
· Attempts to prove God using arguments like the cosmological or ontological argument fail because they involve applying these categories to something beyond our experience.

Similarities:
· Both Swinburne and Kant agree that no purely rational argument can deduce God's existence in a flawless way.
· Both highlight the limitations of using our worldly concepts to grasp something outside our realm of experience.

Differences:
· Swinburne focuses on the logical structure of arguments and points out the lack of a deductively valid one for God's existence.
· Kant focuses on the limitations of speculative reason itself and argues that its categories aren't suitable for proving God.

While the approaches differ, the overall conclusion is similar: deduced proof of God's existence remains elusive.

In essence, both Swinburne and Kant remind us that while logic and reason are powerful tools, they may not be all we need to prove or disprove the existence of a being like God.

Explanation 2 - Not all Rectangles are Square:
1. "No argument from starting points to God's existence is deductively valid."

Here, Swinburne is saying that even if the starting point of an argument (like the existence of the universe) is true, it doesn't guarantee the conclusion (God exists) must be true.
Think of it like this: all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares. Just because the universe exists (rectangle), it doesn't automatically mean God exists (square).

2. "If the argument were deductively valid, it would be incoherent to say the universe exists and God doesn't."
This is just an example illustrating the point above. If the argument were deductively valid, saying the universe exists and God doesn't would be like saying a square isn't a rectangle – a logical contradiction. But since, according to Swinburne, no such deductively valid argument exists, he doesn't see saying "universe exists, God doesn't" as contradictory.

Think of it like different paths, not one single ladder. The cosmological argument is one path to God's existence, but it might not be the only one (and might not be deductively valid). So, just because it doesn't work for Swinburne doesn't mean he finds that statement ("universe exists, God doesn't") inherently contradictory.

Swinburne is a theist, so he believes in God based on reasons beyond just deductive arguments. He thinks the idea of God is coherent and has personal and probabilistic arguments for God's existence, which he explores in his book.

Philosophy often deals with nuanced arguments and positions. Swinburne's point is that while he believes in God and finds the concept coherent, he doesn't see arguments like the cosmological argument as a definitive proof based purely on logic and experience.

Swinburne is a theist, so he believes in God based on reasons beyond just deductive arguments. He thinks the idea of God is coherent and has personal and probabilistic arguments for God's existence
Veritas Aequitas

Re: Cosmological Arg. is NOT Deductively Valid

Notes: KIV
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:22 am the Cosmological Argument:
Pfff. I scoff at the Cosmological Argument - it provides no form of evidence of God.

You should see real empirical evidence of God:- viewtopic.php?p=692385#p692385
Veritas Aequitas

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:29 am
Pfff. I scoff at the Cosmological Argument - it provides no form of evidence of God.

Actually your argument is teleological bordering on the cosmological, i.e. both based on empirical evidences to deduce the existence of a God as the first cause.

Your empirical evidences are too crude which is easily explained by
Pareidolia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia
Apophenia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia
You seem to ignore the above for your case?

It would be better for you to rely on the fine-tuning argument which is less crude.

In all cases, all arguments for God cannot be deductively valid.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:18 am

Actually your argument is teleological bordering on the cosmological, i.e. both based on empirical evidences to deduce the existence of a God as the first cause.
I am making no claim re first cause. In fact, I am suggesting God formed its consciousness FROM the universe, not the cause of it.

Veritas Aequitas wrote:Your empirical evidences are too crude which is easily explained by
Pareidolia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia
Apophenia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia
You seem to ignore the above for your case?
Well then, provide evidence of what I am stating as the above. (* in the Divine Etymology Argument thread)

Veritas Aequitas wrote:It would be better for you to rely on the fine-tuning argument which is less crude.

In all cases, all arguments for God cannot be deductively valid.
All atheists are wrong. :P
Veritas Aequitas

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:27 am

I am making no claim re first cause. In fact, I am suggesting God formed its consciousness FROM the universe, not the cause of it.
This is full of holes.

So, where did 'the universe that God formed its consciousness' came from?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:44 am
This is full of holes.

Is your brain full of holes? The same place that your consciousness came from.
VVilliam

Post by VVilliam »

Would you consider that suggestion true, or one of many which might be?
Veritas Aequitas

attofishpi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:03 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:44 am

This is full of holes.

Is your brain full of holes? The same place that your consciousness came from.
So you are stating;

God form its consciousness from 'the universe' let's call it X.
My or human consciousness also come from X.
So where did X comes from?

As you can see, you are heading for an infinite regression which lead to whatever your conclusion as baseless, groundless, meaningless and the like.
For you, to make whatever your claim rational you have to stop the infinite regression.
The only way to stop the infinite regression is to postulate a first cause or the uncaused-cause.

So, what is your position on the above to cover the holes?

In my case, my approach is based on 'emergence' and whatever emerged is verified and justified empirically and rationally as true via a credible framework and system of reality and knowledge [FSRK] of which the scientific FSRK is the most credible and objective.
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:53 am The only way to stop the infinite regression is to postulate a first cause or the uncaused-cause.

So how come your consciousness arose from an "uncaused cause".

Do you understand the logical dilemma that both atheists and theists face?

(*that it makes no difference to your argument)
Veritas Aequitas

attofishpi wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:56 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:53 am The only way to stop the infinite regression is to postulate a first cause or the uncaused-cause.

I explained my approach in the contrary which does not involved the first cause;

"In my case, my approach is based on 'emergence' and whatever emerged is verified and justified empirically and rationally as true via a credible framework and system of reality and knowledge [FSRK] of which the scientific FSRK is the most credible and objective."
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:02 am

I explained my approach in the contrary which does not involved the first cause;
No actually I don't think you have explained anything.

We can all agree that conscious minds exist but beyond that................................wot do U have?

Comprehend this. A conscious mind existing from chaos, a place of no causality.

Can you infinitely regress through chaos? Can you infinitely regress through a place where there are no causal chains ?
Veritas Aequitas

attofishpi wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:51 am

We can all agree that conscious minds exist but beyond that................................wot do U have?

Can you infinitely regress through chaos? Can you infinitely regress through a place where there are no causal chains ?
Chaos is merely a state of something X.
The chaos of X is created by something.

Even in Chaos Theory, it is the chaotic state of particles which is cause by something X or Xs but it is just how it become chaotic is undeterminable.
That the emergence of a hurricane the chaotic state of water, wind, things cannot be completely determined does not mean there is no cause[s].

Now in a chaotic state, there is still an X or Xs within an unknown chain that caused the resultant state.
So what cause the X or Xs to be that caused the chaos?
You are still caught with an infinite regress.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:49 am

Even in Chaos Theory, it is the chaotic state of particles which is cause by something X or Xs but it is just how it become chaotic is undeterminable.
That the emergence of a hurricane the chaotic state of water, wind, things cannot be completely determined does not mean there is no cause[s].

Now in a chaotic state, there is still an X or Xs within an unknown chain that caused the resultant state.
The chaos I am talking about is not part of chaos theory.

You as an atheist are in the same predicament as a theist...as to causality.

Thus, what is your argument with me?
Veritas Aequitas

attofishpi wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:21 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:49 am

The chaos I am talking about is not part of chaos theory.

You as an atheist are in the same predicament as a theist...as to causality.

Thus, what is your argument with me?
Then what Chaos are you talking about? Show me reference where it is justified?

If your chaos is not within Science or Semantics, then that 'Chaos' is your own invention which is likely to be an illusion and meaningless.

Note
Ex nihilo nihil fit or "nothing comes from nothing", which means that all things were formed from preexisting things.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creatio_ex_nihilo