Philosophers on Laziness

Discussion of articles that appear in the magazine.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Now

Philosophers on Laziness

Post by Philosophy Now »

OrocTeza

Re: Philosophers on Laziness

Post by OrocTeza »

I don't think philosophers are lazy. It just takes a lot of time to come up with good books and ideas. Myself, I spent 4 years on a book of philosophy trying to achieve perfection. Guess what: No-one is interested. I guess it is OK for established people just to be their pawn. Once you are not believing them any longer, you become Judas and at the same time an idiot. What is more, everyone who does a job and gets paid for it expects others to respect him/her unconditionally.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"It just takes a lot of time to come up with good books and ideas."

Regarding philosophical subjects, there's nothing new to come up with. Pretty much everything following the analytical movement has been, and can only be, remixes of the same continental philosophy that positivism has disposed of.

The mind of man has more or less exhausted itself of all the playable language games that philosophy consists of, and the natural sciences continue to progress while tag-along intellectuals write books about old philosophical problems that, 2,500 years later, still haven't been solved and continue to be aksed. But there's a market and a readership for this stuff so it still hits the shelves.

Philosophy today is a commodified fetish, not a legitimate field for addressing and solving genuine problems.

U might even reverse what Marx once said to capture the zeitgeist of our post-modern age, to this:

Philosophers did only (once) try to change the world. The point, however, is to (re-re-re)interpret it.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Yes. Yes. Laziness. I've got that vice as well.

¯\_(*_*)_/¯
OrocTeza

Post by OrocTeza »

remixes of the same continental philosophy that positivism has disposed of

Positivism did not "annul" philosophy. Maybe this was something your professors at college thought it would be cool to say. How superficial, though.I study Wittgenstein. How great, he gave Newton's account for a philosophy of language, totally naturalistic, expression studied as a category mistake. So hunky-dory that literature is amongst our sins towards science. How british and romantic, superfluously homo-erotic and... false.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Bro that's what i always thought! Analytic philosophers were/are romantic homos.

I was like 'damn something's off about these dudes. I betcha they're superfluous romantic fags.'