Thinking: The questions to be answered

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Thinking: The questions to be answered

Post by bahman »

Three main questions come to my mind when it comes to understanding how we think:
1) How the new information in the brain is classified?
2) How the related information are linked in the brain?
3) How do we find new information from the linked information?
Impenitent

Re: Thinking: The questions to be answered

Post by Impenitent »

1. secret, top secret, public
2. brain chains
3. new neurons

-Imp

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:30 pm Three main questions come to my mind when it comes to understanding how we think:
Firstly, 'you' do NOT have 'a' NOR 'your' 'mind'.

1. In 'you' adults mostly by Assumptions, from Past Experiences. 'This' I CALL and REFER TO as APE-thinking. Which WAS a VERY COMMON practice, BACK in the days when this WAS being written. As can be CLEARLY SEEN and PROVED IRREFUTABLY True here, in this forum. 'New information' is ALSO, sub-consciously, 'classified', in 'OLDEN DAY' brains, AS 'BELIEVED', 'DISBELIEVED', PRESUMED 'TRUE', or PRESUME 'NOT TRUE', among OTHER 'things'.

In 'children', however, 'new information' is 'classified' as, and through, just ACCEPTANCE, and the younger the 'children' the MORE so-called 'new information' IS JUST ACCEPTED.

ACCEPTANCE or NOT IS ALSO DEPENDENT UPON how MUCH 'AUTHORITY' SHARED 'new information' IS BEING PASSED ON, or PASSED DOWN.

2. The so-called 'related information' is just stored or retained as 'thoughts'.

3. Memory.

ANY and ALL-OF-'THIS' above here can be CHECK, TESTED, and/or VERIFIED through DISCUSSION, that is; THROUGH JUST CHALLENGING and/or QUESTIONING.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

bahman wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:30 pm Three main questions come to my mind when it comes to understanding how we think:
1) As short term and long term.
2) Via neural networks.
3) By broad search and deep search techniques.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:58 am
Firstly, 'you' do NOT have 'a' NOR 'your' 'mind'.

1. In 'you' adults mostly by Assumptions, from Past Experiences. 'This' I CALL and REFER TO as APE-thinking. Which WAS a VERY COMMON practice, BACK in the days when this WAS being written. As can be CLEARLY SEEN and PROVED IRREFUTABLY True here, in this forum. 'New information' is ALSO, sub-consciously, 'classified', in 'OLDEN DAY' brains, AS 'BELIEVED', 'DISBELIEVED', PRESUMED 'TRUE', or PRESUME 'NOT TRUE', among OTHER 'things'.

In 'children', however, 'new information' is 'classified' as, and through, just ACCEPTANCE, and the younger the 'children' the MORE so-called 'new information' IS JUST ACCEPTED.

ACCEPTANCE or NOT IS ALSO DEPENDENT UPON how MUCH 'AUTHORITY' SHARED 'new information' IS BEING PASSED ON, or PASSED DOWN.

2. The so-called 'related information' is just stored or retained as 'thoughts'.

3. Memory.

ANY and ALL-OF-'THIS' above here can be CHECK, TESTED, and/or VERIFIED through DISCUSSION, that is; THROUGH JUST CHALLENGING and/or QUESTIONING.
I mean what happens in the level of neurons that leads to these three phenomena?
bahman

Post by bahman »

commonsense wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:52 pm
2) Via neural networks.
I mean what happens in the level of neurons that leads to these three phenomena?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

bahman wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:09 pm
2) Via neural networks.
Neurons seem to have a go-or-no-go threshold which is activated by biochemical changes.
bahman

Post by bahman »

commonsense wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:57 pm

2) Via neural networks.
Neurons seem to have a go-or-no-go threshold which is activated by biochemical changes.
I know that. But that does not answer my questions.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

bahman wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:02 pm
Yes, it does. Perhaps there are some other questions that you might want to ask.
bahman

Post by bahman »

commonsense wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:41 pm

Yes, it does. Perhaps there are some other questions that you might want to ask.
Think of a situation in which you see a puppy in a street. Puppy belongs to the category of dog. This new information is stored in a specific area of the brain that deals with memory. The information within that area are however organized otherwise we are dealing with a jumble. My question is how the brain can store things in an organized manner knowing the fact that neurons fire.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

bahman wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:07 pm
Think of a situation in which you see a puppy in a street. Puppy belongs to the category of dog. This new information is stored in a specific area of the brain that deals with memory. The information within that area are however organized otherwise we are dealing with a jumble. My question is how the brain can store things in an organized manner knowing the fact that neurons fire.
I don’t know, does the brain store information in an organized fashion? I don’t know, but I think it’s all in chronological order.
bahman

Post by bahman »

commonsense wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:47 pm

I don’t know, does the brain store information in an organized fashion?
Sure the information is organized in the brain.
commonsense wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:47 pm I don’t know, but I think it’s all in chronological order.
Information is stored in chronological order as well.

Post by Age »

Think of a situation in which you see a puppy in a street. Puppy belongs to the category of dog. This new information is stored in a specific area of the brain that deals with memory.
ACCORDING TO WHO, EXACTLY?

AND, DOES 'that person's KNOW what 'you' CLAIM here IRREFUTABLY, OR IS 'that' just what is PRESUMED TO HAPPEN and OCCUR?
bahman wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:07 pm The information within that area are however organized otherwise we are dealing with a jumble. My question is how the brain can store things in an organized manner knowing the fact that neurons fire.
But KNOWING 'neurons fire' does NOT mean that ANY 'thing' ELSE is KNOWN here, FOR SURE.

Also, if 'this' IS 'your question' now, then WHY did 'you' NOT JUST ASK and WRITE 'this question' BEFORE?

WHY did 'you' JUMBLED UNORGANIZED MESS OF QUESTIONS AT the beginning of this thread, EARLIER?

Or, HOW did 'that brain' store, and express, 'things' in an UNORGANIZED manner, knowing the fact that 'neurons fire'?
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

bahman wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:37 pm Information is stored in chronological order as well.
There seems to be a hierarchy. With various top down options, like dog (category of thing), animal (broader category), chronology, emotion (if you were scared of the dog or worried about it), even by sound of the word (I notice how words related by sound can appear, be associated to, more easily or even confused) and all sorts of other ways, it seems. (this is me just exploring off the top of my head). None of this is perfectly organized. Take chronology. I may confuse the order of events. I may remember seeing the puppy and be sort of good at the month, if it was this year, but go back a few years and I may place it before or after events incorrectly. And this is not just an exception. Unless there is a narrative reason, important to me, for knowing X came before Y.

Associations seem to be allowed/actively made in lots of different ways.

And I would guess that creative people's brains allow for more types of association - thus organization.

Which probably has both positive and negative sides.
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

We are assuming that the brain builds up experiences from pieces, but what if instead, it disassembles whole experiences to categorise.

In order to replay an existing memory, the pattern which that original memory created in our perception becomes reinforced, and that same pattern is echoed back, to the best of the perception systems ability. Then, a second system of pattern recognition parses the image, breaking down elements such as street sign, puppy, etc etc.

So my premise is start with the whole and work backwards.