Zero divided by zero revisited

What is the basis for reason? And mathematics?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

alan1000

Zero divided by zero revisited

Post by alan1000 »

A recent post on this question quickly descended into levity. However, it is a genuine philosophical problem in arithmetic, so let's try again, shall we?

There are four possible answers:

0/0 = 0 (based on the intuitive supposition that only zero quantities are involved, so there cannot be a non-zero answer).

0/0 = 1 (based on the supposition that n/n=1)

0/0 = infinity (assuming 0 = h)

0/0 = Ø (the division fails because the null set is indivisible)

All four positions can be supported by respectable mathematical arguments. What's your preference?
nemos

Re: Zero divided by zero revisited

Post by nemos »

Nothing divided by nothing, sounds philosophical to you, not to me. Or can you somehow justify that 0 is not a nothing?
No one does anything with 0, because there is no need. It is nothing more than an empty mind-bending out of boredom that has no practical application. About the same as trying to prove that 2*2=5.

Post by Age »

'you' can NOT divide by zero.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

alan1000 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:10 pm A recent post on this question quickly descended into levity. However, it is a genuine philosophical problem in arithmetic, so let's try again, shall we?

0/0 = 0 (based on the intuitive supposition that only zero quantities are involved, so there cannot be a non-zero answer).

All four positions can be supported by respectable mathematical arguments. What's your preference?
I'm gonna go with A: 0/0 = 0 (nothing all the way - kind of agree with nemos)
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

alan1000 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:10 pm All four positions can be supported by respectable mathematical arguments. What's your preference?
All of them.

Depending on the context.
Depending on what the / operator means; and depending on what 0/0 is supposed to represent/denote.

Manipulating and evaluating mathematical objects/expressions is the epitome of a designing computer algebras/symbolic computations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_algebra
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

alan1000 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:10 pm What's your preference?
There isn't one.

One can only be divided by itself, which always sums to zero, where no division exists. :mrgreen:
alan1000

Post by alan1000 »

nemos wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:05 pm Nothing divided by nothing, sounds philosophical to you, not to me. Or can you somehow justify that 0 is not a nothing?
No one does anything with 0, because there is no need. It is nothing more than an empty mind-bending out of boredom that has no practical application. About the same as trying to prove that 2*2=5.
I'm guessing you have the usual familiarity with arithmetic, but not with mathematical philosophy? Set theory? Number theory?
alan1000

Post by alan1000 »

Age wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:10 pm 'you' can NOT divide by zero.
You forgot to provide supporting arguments, as required by the rules of this forum. If you can provide such arguments, I will reply.
alan1000

Post by alan1000 »

nemos wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:05 pm Nothing divided by nothing, sounds philosophical to you, not to me. Or can you somehow justify that 0 is not a nothing?
I'm sorry, but I have no idea what this reply is asserting, in the context of mathematical philosophy.
alan1000

Post by alan1000 »

attofishpi wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:40 am
alan1000 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:10 pm A recent post on this question quickly descended into levity. However, it is a genuine philosophical problem in arithmetic, so let's try again, shall we?

I'm gonna go with A: 0/0 = 0 (nothing all the way - kind of agree with nemos)
Supporting arguments?
alan1000

Post by alan1000 »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:40 am
alan1000 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:10 pm All four positions can be supported by respectable mathematical arguments. What's your preference?
All of them.

Depending on what the / operator means; and depending on what 0/0 is supposed to represent/denote.

Manipulating and evaluating mathematical objects/expressions is the epitome of a designing computer algebras/symbolic computations.

This is at least a philosophically intelligible reply. Skepdick is right; all of the answers are correct, on condition that one specifies the appropriate mathematical context. (I deliberately say 'one' rather than 'you', because one poster seemed to take exception to the second-person pronoun).

But is there any reason to prefer one answer over the others? Because it is obvious that, in any philosophical discourse, where apparently-conclusive arguments lead to contradictory outcomes, the enquiry must have taken a wrong turn somewhere. Is there any over-reaching argument to favour one solution over the others?

Post by Age »

alan1000 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:02 pm
You forgot to provide supporting arguments, as required by the rules of this forum. If you can provide such arguments, I will reply.
One only has to look at a computer or calculator to come to see and understand that 'you' can NOT divide by zero.

However, and of course, if 'you' CAN divide by zero, then, please, explain HOW, EXACTLY, and what answer 'you' get/got, EXACTLY.

Now,
P1. For EVERY one else and for EVERY computer/calculator 'they' can NOT divide by zero.
P2. No one has YET shown HOW 'they' CAN divide by zero.
Therefore, until 'you', or someone else, can SHOW, EXACTLY, how 'you/they' CAN divide by zero, then 'this argument' will suffice.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

alan1000 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:10 pmHowever, it is a genuine philosophical problem in arithmetic, so let's try again, shall we?
Is it? Do you have any resources to show that mathematicians in general agree that this is a genuine problem?

Post by Age »

alan1000 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:28 pm
Skepdick wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:40 am
All of them.

This is at least a philosophically intelligible reply. Skepdick is right; all of the answers are correct, on condition that one specifies the appropriate mathematical context. (I deliberately say 'one' rather than 'you', because one poster seemed to take exception to the second-person pronoun).

But is there any reason to prefer one answer over the others? Because it is obvious that, in any philosophical discourse, where apparently-conclusive arguments lead to contradictory outcomes, the enquiry must have taken a wrong turn somewhere. Is there any over-reaching argument to favour one solution over the others?
But if 'you' can NOT divide by zero, which, so far, 'you' can NOT, (as 'you' have NOT YET provided ANY supporting sound AND valid argument of HOW 'you' could), then there is NO so-called 'over-reaching argument', which favors one 'solution' over 'other ones'. As there OBVIOUSLY IS NO 'solution' AT ALL.
alan1000

Post by alan1000 »

Age wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:38 pm
alan1000 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:02 pm
One only has to look at a computer or calculator to come to see and understand that 'you' can NOT divide by zero.

However, and of course, if 'you' CAN divide by zero, then, please, explain HOW, EXACTLY, and what answer 'you' get/got, EXACTLY.

Now,
P1. For EVERY one else and for EVERY computer/calculator 'they' can NOT divide by zero.
P2. No one has YET shown HOW 'they' CAN divide by zero.
Therefore, until 'you', or someone else, can SHOW, EXACTLY, how 'you/they' CAN divide by zero, then 'this argument' will suffice.
I'm sorry, Age, but I can't write a thousand-word essay in this forum to explain mathematical philosophy to you. You will need to research it for yourself.

But I would ask you: you obviously believe that 0/0=1 is fallacious, and thus, n/n=1 is false when applied to the number 0. What are your arguments, exactly?