Evolution, God made or an accident

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Post by bahman »

You cannot disprove the existence of a supernatural being that gives shape to nature. You cannot prove it either. Evolution is not a very precise practice. Even physics is not a very precise practice as things can be manipulated in digits that are beyond the precision of physics.
Impenitent

Re: Evolution, God made or an accident

Post by Impenitent »

man made measurements into an imperfect system bring ultimate truth...

I have this bridge for sale...

-Imp
bahman

Post by bahman »

Impenitent wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:48 pm man made measurements into an imperfect system bring ultimate truth...

I have this bridge for sale...

-Imp
No, that does not follow!
nemos

Post by nemos »

Does it have any significant meaning ?
The answer to the question whether there is a god or not does not give a final answer. Because you can always ask - who created god?
And don't try to claim otherwise without clear reasoning, based on faith alone.
bahman

Post by bahman »

nemos wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:36 pm Evolution, God made or an accident

Does it have any significant meaning ?
The answer to the question whether there is a god or not does not give a final answer. Because you can always ask - who created god?
And don't try to claim otherwise without clear reasoning, based on faith alone.
I am not arguing about God here.
nemos

Post by nemos »

bahman wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:38 pm I am not arguing about God here.
But for what?
Evolution is evolution regardless of origin.
bahman

Post by bahman »

nemos wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:41 pm
bahman wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:38 pm I am not arguing about God here.
But for what?
Evolution is evolution regardless of origin.
I am arguing that the changes in species can be the result of a supernatural intervention or not. That is true since science is not precise enough to rule out one in favor of another one.
nemos

Post by nemos »

bahman wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:45 pm I am arguing that the changes in species can be the result of a supernatural intervention or not. That is true since science is not precise enough to rule out one in favor of another one.
I don't think anyone is trying to deny that. Science studies the process of evolution and not its origin. From a scientific point of view, everything obeys the laws of nature, regardless of their origin.
If I agree that everything is based on supernatural and unproven intervention, will it change anything?
bahman

Post by bahman »

nemos wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:54 pm
bahman wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:45 pm I am arguing that the changes in species can be the result of a supernatural intervention or not. That is true since science is not precise enough to rule out one in favor of another one.
I don't think anyone is trying to deny that.
So you agree.
nemos wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:54 pm Science studies the process of evolution and not its origin.
What do you mean by the origin?
nemos wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:54 pm From a scientific point of view, everything obeys the laws of nature, regardless of their origin.
Well, I am arguing that the laws of nature are not perfect so one cannot rule out the supernatural intervention in nature.
nemos wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:54 pm If I agree that everything is based on supernatural and unproven intervention, will it change anything?
Of course, it changes something. There is a serious debate between theists and atheists about evolution whether it is God-made or it is the result of an accident.
nemos

Post by nemos »

bahman wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:03 pm Of course, it changes something.
Sorry if I still don't understand. Because the existence of god does not change anything for me. And both theists and atheists, in my opinion, are 2 stupid rams on a narrow bridge.
bahman

Post by bahman »

nemos wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:17 pm
bahman wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:03 pm Of course, it changes something.
Sorry if I still don't understand. Because the existence of god does not change anything for me. And both theists and atheists, in my opinion, are 2 stupid rams on a narrow bridge.
So you are an agnostic? I am.

For what regards the existence of God and whether it changes something or not, it of course changes something. From the idea of God, some people derive objective morality, simply what we should do and what we should avoid. Don't you see all human struggles in regard to different religions?
nemos

Post by nemos »

bahman wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:24 pm ... Don't you see all human struggles in regard to different religions?
I don't think that religious conflicts indicate intelligence and therefore can be compared to other natural disasters ... earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, ... I can't change anything there. I'm not going to teach anyone how to live right, especially if they have to spit on my opinion, because I believe that everyone has the right to their own delusions.
bahman

Post by bahman »

nemos wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:54 pm
bahman wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:24 pm ... Don't you see all human struggles in regard to different religions?
I don't think that religious conflicts indicate intelligence and therefore can be compared to other natural disasters ... earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, ... I can't change anything there. I'm not going to teach anyone how to live right, especially if they have to spit on my opinion, because I believe that everyone has the right to their own delusions.
I won't force anyone to live the way I think is correct too. I however think that I have the responsibility to tell the truth.
nemos

Post by nemos »

bahman wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:56 pm ... I however think that I have the responsibility to tell the truth.
Good for you because you know the truth. I do not.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

bahman wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:49 pm You cannot disprove the existence of a supernatural being that gives shape to nature. You cannot prove it either. Evolution is not a very precise practice. Even physics is not a very precise practice as things can be manipulated in digits that are beyond the precision of physics.
You cannot KNOW the existence of a supernatural being that gives shape to nature.

You cannot NOT KNOW the existence of a supernatural being that gives shape to nature.

So the buck stops there.